Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Why can't NBC air things when they say?

dbartley

[1]Jan 31, 2010
    • level: 8

So, I missed the last bit of episode 2, because NBC/Universal appears to take delight in screwing over DVR users.

Is there some sort of documented strategy? I notice several of their shows have scheduled times to end a couple minutes past the top of the hour. I can only assume this is to prevent people from recording something on another network. But then, on top of that they appear to not communicate with the providers so my DVR knows their show is going to go 30 seconds or so longer than expected.

Anyway, I know this isn't directly Caprica-related, but it was this show that pushed me to the venting point.

Hopefully someone will write a recap so I can see if I missed something in the last few seconds.

Dave

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Timewhisper

[2]Feb 1, 2010
    • level: 7
    dbartley wrote:

So, I missed the last bit of episode 2, because NBC/Universal appears to take delight in screwing over DVR users.

Is there some sort of documented strategy? I notice several of their shows have scheduled times to end a couple minutes past the top of the hour. I can only assume this is to prevent people from recording something on another network. But then, on top of that they appear to not communicate with the providers so my DVR knows their show is going to go 30 seconds or so longer than expected.

Anyway, I know this isn't directly Caprica-related, but it was this show that pushed me to the venting point.

Hopefully someone will write a recap so I can see if I missed something in the last few seconds.

Dave

Some DVRs have the option of a setting for recording 5, 10 or even longer past the end time for a show. If your DVR has this option you should use it, you might even be able to do this for a series.

dbartley

[3]Feb 1, 2010
    • level: 8

That's good and well, but with a brand new series: 1) I don't know they're going to be idiots and more important 2) if I'm recording 15-20 different shows, that means I can't record another show that starts at the top of the hour. I have 2 tuners, but on, say, Monday nights there's a bunch of stuff scattered across the schedule on various networks.

Here's hoping if Comcast manages to buy them, since they're in the business of DVR sales, they treat the schedule a little more kindly.