Caprica Forums

Syfy (ended 2010)

Will "Caprica" have Ye Olde Cylons?

nealemobile

[1]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 12
    I think we'll all agree that the new CGI Cylons on BSG look a whole lot nicer than the "crome toasters" from the original series. But I remember on the miniseries seeing that dude in the space station had specs of the original Cylons that left Earth, and they looked like the models from the original series. So do you think the "Caprica" Cylons are going to look like the updated ones or like the original series ones?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

farscape2

[2]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 10
    well after seeing the teaser on youtube, I'd have to say it's going to be the updated models

ceyxxx

[3]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 3
    That's what doesn't make sense to me. If they created human-looking Cyclons 70 years before, then why does it come as a surprise to them in later decades (both the "current" timeline, and 40 years before when discovered by the young Adama?

ceyxxx

[4]Jul 22, 2008
    • level: 3
    Oops. Typo! Of course I meant Cylons, not Cyclons. LOL

Jeric-Ho

[5]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 34
    ceyxxx wrote:
    That's what doesn't make sense to me. If they created human-looking Cyclons 70 years before, then why does it come as a surprise to them in later decades (both the "current" timeline, and 40 years before when discovered by the young Adama?

Thats what i was thinking, the trailer confised me a little, as it seems the old chrome models do not exist, and it just skips to the creation of the first 'Skin Job' models, so if this is the case, then why would in BSG would they have a head of an original cylon in the space station, or was this just a little node to the fans of the original BSG and was not meant to be taken seriously?

mdfain

[6]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 6
    i was thinking they made them in secret where not everyone new. i hope its not the old ones or the new ones maybe something in the middle like an upgrade to the old one but not yet the new ones. just my thoughts

36th_Phantom

[7]Nov 18, 2008
    • level: 9
    i assume it wont have the old cylons , but in a way i hope they do feature

Kondix

[8]Nov 21, 2008
    • level: 11
    Well, actually there should be some chrome models like those from RAZOR flashbacks around... maybe even older versions... civilian versions...
    I mean, the reason to create robots, was to have robotic slaves for civil applications also... so those armed verions should apear much later in my opinion...
    And actually they are not creating SkinJobs, but Clones... as I understand from the trailer... so that is also kinda a diffent thing...
    Those clones might be the first step to create human looking Cylons...
    So on one end you have the invention of A.I. resulting in the creation of the Centurions and on the other hand, you have the creation of clones...
    The Cylons probably stole that cloning-technology from humanity and perfected it with downloadability and stuff...
    I really don't think that they would mess with the established timeline to actually create SkinJobs before ChromeJobs...

But in the end... we will see a glimpse of it very soon... and to be honest, I am really hyped and I do hope for a regular show...

Jeric-Ho

[9]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 34
    Well the old school cylons made an appearance in BSG the other day, so they do still officially exist in the BSG universe and were not just redesigned for the new look show, so fingers crossed they will appear a few times in Caprica.

wedgeantilles54

[10]Feb 9, 2009

we know that the old style cylons exist in the reimagined BSG universe, and here is why. Frist the plans the officer in the armistace station has. Second they are mentioned at least twice in the mini-series, once by baltar who referers to them as walking chrome toasters, and the second time by the pilots from galactica as they head towards the battle when they talk about the what the cylon fighters look like, Thrid there are the events in Razor, where they appear a few times and even have the old style cylon voice.

Edited on 02/09/2009 6:52pm

Idbeolderifiwas

[11]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 20
    The Humans thought the Cylons would still look like the old style "Toasters" because they hadn't seen one for 40 years. They were going by the assumption that they hadn't changed at all in that time because they had no other intel to prove otherwise.

Jammet

[12]Apr 4, 2009
    • level: 10
    I hope we get to see the older Cylons, because - Caprica being a drama series - that is quite nice, but being the science fiction addict that I am, I want to see something fancy, high-tech-level stuff, flying cars .. .

Well, one can always hope. I just doubt that Caprica will be interesting enough if it keeps avoiding throwing sci-fi fans a bone every now and then.

Kondix

[13]Apr 6, 2009
    • level: 11
    Just watch them trailers and tv-spots... You are going to get some bones for sure... but it won't be warfare, but rather "every-day-sci-fi".

melbye80

[14]Apr 15, 2009
    • level: 33

***SPOILER***
    Edited on 04/15/2009 2:21pm

antdude

[15]Apr 18, 2009
    • level: 27
    melbye80 wrote:

***SPOILER***
    Yep, just saw the pilot last night. I was surprised how fast they showed them. I was expecting a primitive one. They still have that wooshing light and sound too.

wedgeantilles54

[16]Apr 22, 2009
    considering the conversation that takes place when they show the prototype cylon, the had been in development for some time at the point, caprica from the looks of it is set right around when the cylons become what we call the old school cylons.

KlaasHeitinga

[17]Jun 12, 2009
    • level: 1

Either I´m missing part of the discussion, or... The `old school cylons´ who are called `centurions´ appear

in the new BSG all over the place. Anyway, it seems more than logical to me that they should appear. The

FIRST cylon war has yet to begin and in the FIRST cylon war there were only centurions. And a guy named

Baltar, who was a traitor then and is again in the second cylon war. Also, the in the first cylon war, humanity

was all but destroyed. How did they recover between wars? There are als episodes where Lorne Greene and

his crew actually discover earth. Is that perhaps when earth was destroyed and cylons escape to the colonies?

I'm confused. It seems hard to make one consistent story of the 1980 series and the 2003 series.

my1sunshine

[18]Aug 26, 2009
    KlaasHeitinga wrote:

Either I´m missing part of the discussion, or... The `old school cylons´ who are called `centurions´ appear

in the new BSG all over the place. Anyway, it seems more than logical to me that they should appear. The

FIRST cylon war has yet to begin and in the FIRST cylon war there were only centurions. And a guy named

Baltar, who was a traitor then and is again in the second cylon war. Also, the in the first cylon war, humanity

was all but destroyed. How did they recover between wars? There are als episodes where Lorne Greene and

his crew actually discover earth. Is that perhaps when earth was destroyed and cylons escape to the colonies?

I'm confused. It seems hard to make one consistent story of the 1980 series and the 2003 series.

You can't. They are two completely different and unconnected universes.