Caprica

Pilot

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 22, 2010 on Syfy

• A tragic, engrossing, and original tale the shows us a side of apocalyptic stories that is often overlooked.

Battlestar Galactica was (is) one of my favorite shows of all time. And one of the more clever and prevalent tactics that series had was using its toned down sci-fi universe as an analog for the real world. The show was drama first and sci-fi second. The Cylon conflict was a tool the writers used to talk about politics, racism, religion and existentialism. Making a series that was more involving because no matter how insane the scenarios looked on paper, they felt real.

With BSG over it seems the writers decided to take that idea even further with their spin-off prequel Caprica as it is impossible to not feel like you've been sucked into world that is just like ours, only with enough sci-fi trapping to make it accessible and cool.

Caprica is set 58 years before the Events of BSG,and the pilot tells the story how Joe Adama, an atterney with a criminal past (Bill Adama's father) and Daniel Graystone, the wealthy owner of a Microsoft-esque tech firm met and eventually create the first cylon after a shared tragey brings the duo together. Thus sending them down a path we know will lead them to unwittingly doom their entire civilization.

Without getting too deep into this thing. I have to say while this episode didn't make me fall in love with every character. They all work because the grief that hangs over this episode is so intensely real and well played by each actor (especially Eric Stoltz and Paula Malcomson). The fact that Daniel/Joe's children were killed by religious extremist again much like BSG gives you another connection to real events. No parent should have to face what the protagnoist of this show are facing. And while their tragedy is of a much smaller scale, and played with a sleepier pace, it is far more accessible than the end of the world plot we got at the start of BSG. That stuff could never happen to anyone. So it is harder to take on a more than viseral level.

So when Daniel Graystone creates the first cylons as both an attempt bring his daughter back to life, and nab a sweet military contract. We see that mankind brought about its own descrution through corporate greed, religious fanatism and perhaps and overreaction to religious fantatism. Can you think of a better metaphor for the state of things today? That aside from the sweet "so that's how cylons were created" lightbuld going off in my head when I saw this is what made this pilot work. It'll be nice to see how this plays out.

There have been maybe stories about the conflict between Man and Machine. But none about the "how" and "why."