Caprica

Things We Lock Away

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 19, 2010 on Syfy

• *** Spoiler-free *** Painful Zoe arc, disappointing Daniel major development, questional format, random editing and still no Cylon

There's a time in the life of some TV shows when viewers have to decide either or not it deserves to be axed. Should I keep watching it or should I go ? That moment has come for Caprica. Retribution was an excellent installment because it focused on Amanda and Daniel Graystone, by far the most interesting characters. But when it comes to the other arcs, specially the virtual world one with dolly Zoe, then the series can get really boring. In this 12th installment, six to go, some scenes were really painful. The misplaced fight in Unvanquished was back and for some reason the writers decided to give it even more importance. As a fan of Spartacus : Blood and Sand it's even harder to support the inexistent choregraphy, young adults questionable acting and obscene geeky fanservice. It jars so much with the maturity and smartness of the captivating Graystone and Adama story. That arc was developed further but I didn't like the road they've chosen. It could have been so much more intriguing if they had gone the other way ! Lacy was also featured at random times and her kidnapping definitely deserved a better treatment, a darker and longer one. Magda Apanowicz's performance was so good that it made me realize that Caprica's format is probably not the best. Episodic ? Heavy ? What about Lost's one ? It could have been interesting to feature a character per episodes. Cylon Zoe was jaw dropping in Rebirth for example and considering how much Lacy has grown on us I think Apanowicz should be rewarded with a special one too. She should be more than a secondary character ! All these dancing arcs also revealed, again, how much the editing can be poor. I can't help mentionning it in most of my reviews because it's definitely one of the show weakness. This time it was even worse than in some past episodes. A few seconds of Lacy, the usual The Matrix-like red intertitle, a random jump in V world, then we go back to Daniel's house… It's not editing, it's televisual butchery. To sum things up I'm not sure I could endure again such an awful massacre. I used to write that Caprica had potential despite its flaws but I'm convinced now that it won't improve. In fact after what happened it could get worst. They chose to do too many things at the same time and in the end too many of them are average or poor. I can't even focus on its pros anymore so it means I've lost faith. Now it's your turn to make up your own mind. Caprica or not Caprica ? That was my question and never thought the disastrous Reins of a Waterfall would find its super doppelgänger.