Caprica

Things We Lock Away

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 19, 2010 on Syfy

• The shape of season 1.5 reveals itself.

'Where is this going" that's often the question as by a viewer suffering through a seemingly aimless story. Thing is, if you know a stories destination before you get there, what's the point. However, if the writers don't throw you a bone every once and a while you may never be motivation to GET there.

"Things we lock away" switches gears on the shows overall plot by basically beating us in the face with Battlestar Galatica's ETERNAL RETURN theme. As through flashbacks we see how a "Head Zoe" guided Zoe into creating the Avatar program that would later motivate her father to make the first cylons.

The issue with the "God did it" ending in Galatica was that it was a Deus Ex Machina that made a dire situation rosey it the cheapist laziest way possible. But by definition Caprica can't have that problem. Caprica is about characters who don't know their actions are bringing the world closer to an end of days. A chessey ending to that just isn't possible.

However, while I like Caprica as a show about how a civilization destoryed itself through greed, hubiris and religious fanatism. I'm not sure about it as a show about how "Angels" nudged us along. But maybe my tune will change when more is revealed.

Now that I've wasted time on what is so-so about the episode lets talk about what was awesome. The wheel spinning and loose end clean up from the last two episodes is gone here. Now that Daniel is back in control of his company, Amanda is undercover with STO, and Clarices with "Apotheosis" plot is underway things are gaining traction again.

What Caprica lacks in action set-pieces it almost more than makes up for in character drama. Eric Stoltz is doing his best work EVER as Daniel Graystone.

The final scene where Daniel tried to prevent Virgis death only to get sucked deeper into to Tauron mobs clenches is one of the most memorable scenes in Caprica/Battlestar history. And it sticks with the viewer long after not just because it takes so many unexpected turns but because even though we don't know how this series will end. We know this is an event that won't just lead to Daniel's fall. But the fall of mankind. And to think all he wanted was his daughter back.

Caprica doesn't do suspense often enough, but when it does its like nothing else on television.