I got the SMB3 DVD boxset today and here's my review for it.

kirbyblue

[1]Jun 27, 2007
    • level: 13

A friend of mine helped get me this DVD boxset from Best Buy and I got to say it was so awesome.

DVD Menus:

I liked the DVD menus to each disc. Disc 1 has Mario walking across the screen and he bashes a block and the DVD menu come up and when you hit Play All, Mario would walk along and jump inside the Warp Pipe. In Disc 2 it's Luigi that walks across the screen. The DVD menu for Disc 3 is completely different from the other 2. In Disc 3 the writers bible is the menu and it has the selection of bonus features.

Episodes:

This show is awesome. They have 2 stories in each episode, simular to the way NBC aired it except it didn't have Captain N in the middle of course. So far I watched the first two half-hour episodes which is the episodes that's already been avalible on King Koopa Katastrpie which I have so the episodes I saw so far aren't new to DVD but the next episode will will be. The episodes are on Discs 1 and 2 while Disc 3 includes all of the bonus features.

Music:

It's just like I thought, the episodes that have the "popular" songs were edited out from the DVD boxset. Although they stayed in tact in the King Koopa Katastripie DVD release, the episodes from the DVD boxset weren't. Also in Disc 3 there's a bounus called "Original Songs" which is basically a soundtrack that allows you to play full versions of the songs (that were made for the show). Another interesting thing is that one of the songs included in the soundtrack is "Mega Move" which was featured in an episode of Captain N. But I believe "Mega Move" was included because they used the instermental version of that song to replace the "popular" songs.

Captions and Subtitles:

Just like what you would expect from Shout Factory, This DVD set doesn't include any closed captions or subtitles what-so-ever. But the reason why Shout didn't put them on is because they don't have rights to put Captions and Subtitles on DVD weather or not the show aired closed-caption or not (which I believe NBC did for SMB3). But still, Captions and Subtitles is usually a good idea to put on DVDs.

Bonuses:

The only bonus that I really saw were the original songs which were pretty good. Well That I posted in my music review. But I'll watch more bonuses after I view all the episodes.

Overall:

This is a great DVD boxset to have. It's great to own if you love this show. They put all the bounuses in one disc so there's bound to be alot. I must say I'll give my full review on my bonuses later so yeah. And I recommend this DVD set to other people as well.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kirbyblue

[2]Jul 12, 2007
    • level: 13
    Another thing I should point out is that in Episode 13 The Venice Menice/Super Koopa there's some glitches in those episodes. Brian Ward stated he can't fix it because it was a problem with the master copy that DIC has.

ToadstoolFan01

[3]Jul 13, 2007
    • level: 8
    It is a cool DVD!

Tkerekes13

[4]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 28
    I agree that it's a cool DVD!

Tubelubber

[5]Aug 16, 2007
    • level: 58
    kirbyblue wrote:

A friend of mine helped get me this DVD boxset from Best Buy and I got to say it was so awesome.

DVD Menus:

I liked the DVD menus to each disc. Disc 1 has Mario walking across the screen and he bashes a block and the DVD menu come up and when you hit Play All, Mario would walk along and jump inside the Warp Pipe. In Disc 2 it's Luigi that walks across the screen. The DVD menu for Disc 3 is completely different from the other 2. In Disc 3 the writers bible is the menu and it has the selection of bonus features.

Episodes:

This show is awesome. They have 2 stories in each episode, simular to the way NBC aired it except it didn't have Captain N in the middle of course. So far I watched the first two half-hour episodes which is the episodes that's already been avalible on King Koopa Katastrpie which I have so the episodes I saw so far aren't new to DVD but the next episode will will be. The episodes are on Discs 1 and 2 while Disc 3 includes all of the bonus features.

Music:

It's just like I thought, the episodes that have the "popular" songs were edited out from the DVD boxset. Although they stayed in tact in the King Koopa Katastripie DVD release, the episodes from the DVD boxset weren't. Also in Disc 3 there's a bounus called "Original Songs" which is basically a soundtrack that allows you to play full versions of the songs (that were made for the show). Another interesting thing is that one of the songs included in the soundtrack is "Mega Move" which was featured in an episode of Captain N. But I believe "Mega Move" was included because they used the instermental version of that song to replace the "popular" songs.

Captions and Subtitles:

Just like what you would expect from Shout Factory, This DVD set doesn't include any closed captions or subtitles what-so-ever. But the reason why Shout didn't put them on is because they don't have rights to put Captions and Subtitles on DVD weather or not the show aired closed-caption or not (which I believe NBC did for SMB3). But still, Captions and Subtitles is usually a good idea to put on DVDs.

Bonuses:

The only bonus that I really saw were the original songs which were pretty good. Well That I posted in my music review. But I'll watch more bonuses after I view all the episodes.

Overall:

This is a great DVD boxset to have. It's great to own if you love this show. They put all the bounuses in one disc so there's bound to be alot. I must say I'll give my full review on my bonuses later so yeah. And I recommend this DVD set to other people as well.

Well, about the music, they did include 10 of the show's songs, but why didn't they include the other 16?

LReyome28

[6]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 1
    One of the episodes I can confirm a music change for is "Kootie Pie Rocks" because I have both the DVD version and the original off TV version and Milli Vanilli's song "Blame It On The Rain" is taken out of their first performance, as is Bowser's mentioning of the title during the first Doom Ship scene (you can see his mouth moving but no words before he laughs)
    Edited on 10/25/2007 8:59am

Tkerekes13

[7]May 2, 2008
    • level: 28
    LReyome28 wrote:
    One of the episodes I can confirm a music change for is "Kootie Pie Rocks" because I have both the DVD version and the original off TV version and Milli Vanilli's song "Blame It On The Rain" is taken out of their first performance, as is Bowser's mentioning of the title during the first Doom Ship scene (you can see his mouth moving but no words before he laughs)
    Well, it could affect the plot this way: Mario asks "Why don't we get this much applause?" and Bowser somehow overhears Mario and responds "Blame it on the Koopa!". That's how I'd put it!

Tubelubber

[8]Aug 16, 2008
    • level: 58
    kirbyblue wrote:

DVD Menus:

Episodes:

Music:

Captions and Subtitles:

Bonuses:

Overall:

Well, about the music, they did include 10 of the show's songs, but why didn't they include the other 16?
    Edited on 08/16/2008 8:50am