Captain N & the Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3

NBC (ended 1991)

Captain N & the Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 Fan Reviews (34)

• Interacting with the real world?

A cartoon interacting with the real world? If that happens in real life, our world would as screwed up with no quick fix to it. And how Toad looked like he was wearing a hat all this time? Don't get me started.
  • Brings me back.

This is the first Mario Bros. cartoon series I've ever watched. For the longest time, before I visited the internet, I was frustrated and never did understand why some song were edited out during syndication. But now, since I got the internet, I am no longer stressed over what was removed and I think they did the right thing. What was removed were pirated lyrics of the popular music by the Koopalings and on the Milli Vanilli episode were the pirated recordings of the Milli Vanilli songs. DiC replaced those copyright music to avoid being sued for copyright infringement, in which that's what happened to Richard Williams when he was working on "The Thief and Cobbler" and got fired for bootlegging. I will respect what was replaced, even if they did made "Kootie Pie Rocks" ignorant looking. I love this cartoon. Man, those were the days.
  • My favorite out of all the cartoons, but once again this show has flaws.

This show is The Adventures of Super Mario Bros . 3. It aired side by side with season 2 of Captain N. It was the second Mario Cartoon to be on TV. It's based off a popular NES game made by Nintendo, and yes, it was produced by DIC Entertainment.

Out of all the Mario cartoons, this one is my favorite, but just like Super Mario World, it has flaws.

Let's start off shall we?

The first thing that's a flaw is all of the koopaling's names. Larry is called Cheatsy, Roy is called Bully, Wendy is called Kootie Pie, Ludwig is called Kooky, Morton is called Big Mouth, and Iggy and Lemmy are called Hop and Hip. Not only that but in this series the villian, who is of course King Koopa, is mentioned as Bowser a few times in this show.

Another thing that's a flaw is that in some of the episodes, it shows Mario and the gang in the re world. Wait...WHAT?!?! Why would you make Mario and his gang go to the real world?!?! I mean, really? I don't care if there in Brooklyn, which was where they are from, but I do not like them in Miami, Washington D.C, or anywhere else besides Brooklyn, that's not where they belong!!

Also, this show has musical numbers, there not as bad as Super Mario World's musical numbers, but there not good! I mean, it's like DIC dosen't have good singers anymore! Now, for the things I like in this show is the animation. The animation looks pretty good for a Mario Cartoon. The voice acting is better, it was good in SMBSS, but not as good as TAOSMB3.

Anyway, this a good cartoon to check out on YouTube.

Final Score: 7.0

Grade: B

• Better than the predecessor, but it still has flaws.

"The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3" aired for 13 episodes on NBC from 1990-1990. Yes I know it was very short-lived. Anyway, it was the 2nd cartoon show based on Nintendo's most popular video game series of all time "Mario". This one is based on "Super Mario Bros. 3" wich was the new Mario game at the time this show came out. Like it's predecessor it was produced by DiC Entertainment, and also like "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!" it contained some canonical errors. In this show's case the main one is: the Koopalings's names.

Larry is now called Cheatsy,

Roy is now Bully,

Wendy is Kootie-Pie

Lemmy is Pip

Iggy is Pop

Morton is Big-Mouth

and Ludwig is Kooky.

Also, by this time King Koopa's first name Bowser was already revealed, and most of the time in this show they still call him Koopa.

Probably the only things I hated about this show (besides the koopaling names being different) were: too many animation mistakes. And them going into the real world. That's just stupid. Why would Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Toad go to the real world. They should've stuck with the Mushroom Kingdom. I absolutely hated the ones where the go to the real world. Overall this show is good. It's better than "Super Show" and it's very fun to watch, and if you ask me, this one has a bigger Nintendo-feel than the other two. This is the best Mario cartoon.

Rating: 71% "Good"

-Cartoon King
  • When DiC renewed the Super Mario Bros. franchise for another series, they made drastic improvements that are sadly underappreciated!

7.6
    I don't think I'll ever figure out why everybody believes that "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show" was the best of Mario's animated series. That series had too many episodes with the Mario Bros. and their bosom buddies Peach and Toad going to a ridiculous land that usually doesn't exist in the games, only to end up having to save said land from Bowser, and being forced through an out-of-place movie parody while they're at it. Nevertheless, DiC Entertainment made the right choice as to when to release the show ('cause, you know, in 1989, nobody cared how crappy something so long as it featured Mario or the Ninja Turtles), and they managed to get surprisingly high ratings in spite of the dodgy writing and bad animation. So it was only appropriate that they decided to give Nintendo's mascot another run in animation even after they had ended production of the original series.

"The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3", shown in an hour-length show with "Captain N"'s second season, is based on the NES game Super Mario Bros. 3, which had been released in Japan in 1988, got big-screen exposure in "The Wizard", and made its way to American store shelves and the hands of over 17 million customers several months prior to this show's premiere. For whatever reason, I'm probably one of the few people who finds this superior to its syndicated predecessor. And you'd think it would be the best, considering that it actually managed to beat "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", whose time slot it shared, in the ratings.

Bowser... um, excuse me, "King Koopa", is back for revenge for his 51 losses in the 52 animated episodes of the previous series (the official descriptions DiC has used in recent years claim that he has escaped from some place called the Banishment Zone, but this is never actually mentioned in the show itself), but instead of mooching minions from Wart, this time he is joined by his seven Koopalings who were introduced in the aforementioned game. Larry, Morton, Wendy, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, and Ludwig were a lot more prominent in the early half of the 1990s than they appear to be today, showing up only in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and, if the rumors are correct, the forthcoming New Super Mario Bros., and apparently DiC must've thought they'd get to be big characters, to the point that they've decided to give the kids strange nicknames based on their personalities and appearances. At least, I assume they're nicknames. 'Cause if they're not, then somebody screwed up!

Bowser's favorite minions aren't the only changes this show has from the one it followed. In "The SMB Super Show", there didn't seem to be any continuity at all. This time, the writers don't stick the Mario Bros. group into random locations for no apparent reason other than to rip off something that "Tiny Toon Adventures" could've just as easily done. Now, whenever the characters go traveling, they just need to visit the eight worlds featured in Super Mario Bros. 3! Additionally, even though they had less time between the game's release and the show's premiere than they did between SMB2's release and "The Super Show"'s premiere, most of what happens in this show fits in better with the games' continuity; in other words, there aren't as many game-relation errors here. For example, when Bowser flees from Fiery Mario in "A Toadally Magical Adventure", it's obviously in reference to the fact that Bowser is easily beaten by fireballs in the NES games!

So does the show have any problems? Yes, it does. Some people complain that the animation got worse in this series. Given that the animation of "The SMB Super Show" was already lackluster to begin with, I don't really much of a difference. For me, the big problem comes in the gang's semi-weekly trips to Earth. For some reason, they always, ALWAYS refer to it as "the Real World". Does this mean that the characters are aware that they don't actually exist? How do they feel about that? Furthermore, even though the writers seem to have managed to play more of SMB3 than they apparently did with the first two, poorly-written episodes full of plot holes are still around, such as in "Princess Toadstool For President" and "The Ugly Mermaid".

Overall, though, I feel that "The Adventures of SMB3" is the best of the three Super Mario Bros. cartoon shows, or at least the most preferable. I would recommend that new fans of Mario check it out before they see "The Super Show", but there's only one DVD of this show available right now, and it doesn't look like Shout! Factory is interested in giving it the treatment they're giving the original.
  • i love this

its all based on the the poupuler and probuley all time best video game super mario bros 3 it has every thing koopas bowser iggey lemmey luigi peach goombas mario peach and a poo loads of more i could just marrie this show and make seqels and im becoming an asromener i love space and man this game was great this show was great their both awsome it will come bick in the future this i swear and i bursted with laughter in some just come on bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back bring it back
  • The Super Mario Bros 3 show could have been alot better in my opinion. What made it so bad you ask? How about the fact they tried to put real world places in there? UGH!

There are very few bright spots about this show, but there are a couple.

One thing I liked about the show was the World 8 music playing in the background at Bowser's castle. A very nice touch I might add.

Having the Koopalings was nice as well, though I don't know why DIC had to change their names instead of using the ones Nintendo gave them.

Lastly, I have to give DIC credit for showing Princess Peach and Toad with the ability to use the Super Mario Bros 3 power ups. It was very creative thinking since I'm sure fans wondered what they would look like. Hey, even having Bowser use the power ups was a really cool idea. But that sadly, are the only things good about this show.

What made it all go downhill after this was DIC's horrible decision making.

First of all, why didn't they keep Mario, Luigi and Princess Peach's voice actors from the Super Mario Bros Super Show? They were perfect! Why DIC did this, I'll never know. Secondly, what's up with all the real world nonsense? I mean, for crying out loud, it's supposed to be in the Mushroom Kingdom! The story where Bowser gives Wendy America makes absolutely no sense!

What, just because they took over the White House, does that mean everyone in the country now have to submit to their rule? What idiocy! You imagine if someone did that in real life? I don't want to see Mario and his pals in the real world! What point did that serve? It was completely stupid! The only place that I don't mind was Brooklyn, and that's because DIC claims that's where Mario and Luigi originally came from. Ok, a little far fetched, but acceptable. But no, they had to throw in Hawaii, Hollywood, France, and the 7 continents as well. ARRGHHH! I swear, sometimes I think DIC hired 10 years olds to be the writers. This is dribble they would think up. And finally, the part where we get the horrible, waste of a recording songs. DIC had the worst lyricists and singers ever. I mean, seriously, if you're gonna have songs in a show, shouldn't they at least be catchy or upbeat? What we got instead were song nobody cares about. And if anyone does, well, enjoy, you're in a very small minority. Once again, DIC dropped the ball here, giving another black eye to the Mario Franchise. Thanks alot. I hope you look back at your work with shame.
  • She returns home and she is bringing her mum with her. Everyone is pleased to see they gives her a big hug.

She returns home and she is bringing her mum with her. Everyone is pleased to see they gives her a big hug. She asks himif she can ever forgive her for lying and he tells her the only way she can is if she tells the truth about the baby. But She tells her she can not do that because then he will never forgive her for lying to him.
  • Oh the nostalgia...though far from perfect, it's still a good watch, if for no other reason then to laugh at all the crazy things that go on in it.

Not let's not get anything confused here: I was a big fan of this show when I was child. And nostalgia played a big role in the purchase of the DVD boxset. In an odd way, I completely remembered why I liked the show but I also couldn't help but notice some very cringe worthy things that as a child, I never really noticed. No, I won't nitpick about the names: they at the very least match the personalities and it's believed at the time, that the Koopalings weren't even named in Japan as of yet (They got there name from America and the names apparently just stuck) and since the material was taken in large part from the Japanese source, they just gave them names to match their personalities. The names (after they became official) didn't change in the show apparently so it wouldn't confuse the viewers. That's fine.

And quite frankly, watching the Koopalings and Boswer interact (You couldn't help but feel sorry for him when he had to deal with Wendy or 'Kootie-Pie'.) was worth the price of admission most of the time.

But the show had one glaring flaw: it was too 'American'. Or rather, 'America' and it's cultures played WAY too much of a role in this show. How can I explain this...the show is based on Super Mario Bros. 3, which takes place in a ficitional land known as the Mushroom Kingdom most of the time. There are other various worlds that were in Mario Bros. 3 that could have been visited. And yet, every time you turned around, America was somehow involved and forced down the viewers throat. I mean yes, I understand that they wanted to cater the show to American's but goodness, it got bad. How bad? Well let's see, how about:

1. The koopalings invade the 'normal' world and try taking over different continents. 2. Kootie Pie was in love with the group Milli Vanilli (SP?), a very famous singing duo at the time.

3. They kept going to America, constantly, in the show. More then anywhere else other than arguable the Mushroom Kingdom or Dark Land.

4. One episode was dedicated to the Koopalings thinking humans in a car were 'monsters' or something to that affect when a family got lost somehow in the Mushroom Kingdom so Boswer tried to destroy them. This is one of the few that made even less sense: they've seen Mario and Luigi. They've gone to Mario and Luigi's actual 'world' before. And we're suppose to believe they've never seen a human? Or a car? What?

5. The episode where Koo--gah Ludwig and Larry try to get their dad elected as the ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom is strongly based on American politics. This again was a 'Makes little to no sense episode'. In general, even without the American influence part...it made NO sense. Why in the world, even with a nice potion, would anyone in their right mind vote for the guy that is CONSTANTLY trying to destroy/take over/kidnap their rightful ruler? And why would Princess Toadstool even bother with something so silly? 7. Roy's accent. Jersey? Brooklyn? You decide. (I go with the latter.)

8. Princess takes a vacation...in American.

To be honest, I'll just stop because I could probably pull something out of just about every episode if I tried. I think it's the what could have been that bothers me: they could have just as easily made an animated adaption of the game and truly had pure gold there. Or at the very least, work with the resources from the show and done the same things, instead of trying to hard to 'Americanize' the entire thing.

But even that wasn't enough to detour the entire show from being horrible: there are some serious rememberable things from it. For instance: if you ever hear Ludwig's laugh, you never--EVER--forget it. It's just so odd and contagious you practically can't. Cheatsy or Larry's appearance...or rather the heavy lidded eyes. Okay, I know that it was suppose to make him look my sneaky but honestly, he just looks high. And that's incredibly funny to me now that I'm older. And Roy, I still remember the episode were they showed him for a second looking up through his glasses and his eyes seemed to look inverted colored. Even if this was a coloring error, that still looks awesome. And there was some rather good stories despite things. I really love the one where Mario and Luigi got into the fight and Ludwig tried to brainwash Mario. If only the episode was longer and thus, could have been fleshed out more...

Despite having it's flaws, the show is a great watch and for anyone that's never seen it and fan of Mario, give it a shot. It might be pretty bad in terms of cartoons now (Actually...it's probably better then a lot of the crap on now a days, LMAO.) but even if it is, it's more on a so bad it's humorous end instead of just cringe worthy awful.
  • It's not perfect, but its a good show.

I would have given this show a 10, but the way the names of the Koopalings are changed irritated me. My guess is that DiC, the company that made this show, didn't have rights to the original names. So they had to change the names. I think the new names are lame, but if they had no choice, I really can't argue with it.

The animation isn't the best either, I see constant community, and lip sync mistakes in every episode.

But even with all it's flaws, the show is still a personal favorite of mine. The best episodes, in my opinion, are "Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopas" and "7 Continents for 7 Koopas". Mostly because the Koopalings are in them, but there are other reasons as well.
  • Another relic of the Nintendo Generation, this show stayed closer to it's gaming roots than the original Super Mario Bros Super Show.

I grew up as part of the original Nintendo generation, so these shows have a special place in my heart. Super Mario Bros 3 was alot closer to actual game content than it's predecessor The Super Mario Bros Super Show. Though shortlived, this show did a good job of capturing the spirit of the gameplay, as well as carrying on where the original left off.
    Unfortunately, this show as well as it's successor show suffered from being attached to a rather luckluster season of Captain N, thus reducing it's audience numbers. As a time capsule for the Nintendo Generation, it's still a fantastic show, and even the younger kids of today can enjoy it as the characters are still well known.
  • I loved this show!

I loved this show! Because it took me a while to understand that the characters looked ugly because they were from the game. Duh! Koopa looked like he was a load of krap when I saw him, but now I love the look of it. The game was made before 3-D games could come. I want this show to come back so I can watch all episodes and watch new episodes, but it won`t be able to happen. Well, now it is time for my rating today! I give it an overall 10.0! Well that is all for this review and every day I will be making another review!
  • I love this but i DO love Super Mario. It is very good.

It is funny and great. But it is a bit for younger ones. Still itis very very good. Mario is great and so is Luigi. The only bad thing is that the smae thing happens. I do think it should have a ten to a nine. If you like Super Mario you will love this. Bowser/King koopa is bad and sometimes very funny. I Hat captin N show but i only watch it for the super Mario. It is very good for people who like Mario and is still good for people who do not know him that well. :-)
  • Next to the Super Mario Bros. Super Show this is the best Mario show ever made

Next to the Super Mario Bros. Super Show this is the best Mario show ever made, compared to that show, this show is more faithful to the games, more or less the game the show was based on, also, the absence of the live action segments allowed the series to focus more on the characters and have a continuity, something that the previous show lacked.

Walker Boone is more suited to be Mario for this show than Lou Albano, not to say that Captain Lou did a bad job, but Boone is more suited for SMB3's blend of adventure and comedy.

Tony Rosato(Luigi)and Tracey Moore(Peach)seem to be imitating the last actors to play their roles, Danny Wells and Jeannie Elias, however, unlike Well's Luigi, who was a coward, this Luigi is as brave as his video game counterpart

John Stocker reprises his role as Toad, and is just as comedic, same goes for Harvey Atkin as Bowser.
  • This show is one of best! I'll tell you why...

This show is an absolute gem, and is my favourite Mario cartoon. It stuck to the games' storyline and also featured most of the games characters! The plots were wickedly funny and the best thing about this is King Koopa. I love his laugh! Mario is my favourite though, because I think his personality is kind of realistic and he always thinks of others first. I'm telling you. THIS is the best video game cartoon when it comes down to game adaption!

The other two Mario cartoons were great, but this one... it's superb!!
  • This was great!!!

I really wish this show was back on the air and also The Super Mario Bros Super Show and Captain N & the new Super Mario World. Why did they show these and ended them all right before I was born, its not fair. Please bring my favorite charater back on the air cause I miss this show and the others. Im just glad people put these shows on Youtube.com so I still have a chance to see some of the episodes. I dont know what else to say but please lord put this show back on the air. Mario will be in our hearts forever.
  • The Mario Bros. must use their new powers to defeat King Koopa and his Koopalings.

The Adventure's of Super Mario Bros. 3 took The Mario Bros. to a whole new level in anamation. Based more on the games, TAOSMB3 is probably the best in the series. After King Koopa is banished from the Mushroom Kingdom, he returns with his seven children to spread chaos throughout the Mushroom World. The Show gave Mario and Luigi brand new powers, such as Raccoon, Frog, Kuribo Shoe, and much more. The Show would also open by having the episode title in the background of one of the world maps from the game, that would usually be where the episode would take place. Also, King Koopa got his own place, Castle Koopa, with many traps for the Mario Bros. to fall into. Many of the enemies from the games were used as well, and the music and sound effects from the game went very well with the animation. Probably one of the biggest parts was the Koopalings, helping there king daddy cause all kinds of trouble. Another big part was that the Mario Bros. could travel to the real world. Unlike the Super Show! The Show is a classic and anyone that loves Nintendo should watch it. Catch the DVD Box Set in July from Shout Factory!
  • This is how television should be like nowadays.

This is adapted from one of the best games in history, (as is most TV cartoon video game serieses. King Koopa come backs to the Mushroom Kingdom, with his little children (Where'd they come from?) ;). How these little troublemakers can make a mediocre series, into a fantastic series. Nice.
  • Everyone thought King Koopa left the Mushroom Kingdom, and then His doomship attacked! King Koopa was back with His Koopa Kids! using their new superpowers, the Mario Brothers rescued Princess Toadstool, and beat the Evil Koopa Family.

In the Mushroom kingdom, Two plumbers by the names of Mario Mario and Luigi Mario save Princess Toadstool from a Reptilian Tyrant called King Koopa (Bowser in very few episodes.) with His children, Kooky von Koopa, Bully Koopa, The Koopa Twins, Hip and Hop Koopa, Kootie Pie Koopa, Big Mouth Koopa, and Cheatsy Koopa. so the Mario Bros. try to save the lands, Grass Land, the Koopahari Desert, Water Land, Giant Land, Sky Land, Ice Land, and the Pipe Maze from falling to the evil hands (or claws) from the Evil King Koopa. and so the Marios try to foil His plans.
  • This is show is well..I actually never watched this show but I do love the characters like Luigi!

Well I have never watched this show but I know the characters like Luigi, Koopa, Mario and stuff and if I could have watched this show, I definitely would. I do play the video games like Mario Kart Double Dash and Mario Super Bros. Those games are so awesome! And then I always wanted to play Luigi's Mansion but I never got to. Anyways, this show is probably good and if I could watch it I definitely would of course. Luigi is so much better than Mario anyday because he is tall, and skinny, and has the whole Italian thing going on..Gosh I love Nintendo!
  • The stupidest show I have ever seen. I will never look at mario the same way again.

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid. The only reason I gave a five is that it was sooo stupid it was funny. Made no sense. What is a fancy pants princess in primitive times. And two italian plumers who look like they are from now. The only good thing they put on tv about mario was the games and the movie which was a cool movie. Discusting from all the mushrooms but funny. The only episode I watched was the \"a little learning\". It was really stupid. I mean like it was sooooo stupid like those bowser couldn\'t look any dumber. Who wants to check out this stupid show go on youtube.com
  • The Best TV show ever!

This is one of the best shows ever to air. When I was little I used to run downstairs and watch it. I could not wait for it each week. The animation is great to. It is almost as if you are playing a mario game right on a system. Great Voices, scenes, and characters. Mario has come back. Highly recomended show. If you are ever in the mood for some super mario, this is the show to watch. Totally awesome. I also loved the way that it related to super mario 3 on the NES. It kept the suits, and many other things. Highly recomended.
  • The sequal to the Super show.

Sounds like the syndication show The Super Mario Bros Super Show turned out to be pretty popular, in fact so popular that they made the sequal to this show which is.... this show, The Adventures of Super Mario bros 3. Based on the popular NES game Super Mario Bros 3, this show features the adventures of Mario and Luigi as they battle the evil King Koopa and his evil Kooplings, sure their names are different than the video games but this show was being made before the Kooplings even had offical English names. Personally I didn't exactly thought it was as good as SMBSS but it was awesome anyway. I thought all of them were awesome though this one's better than the SMW cartoon even though that one was closest related to the Mario games. Though I kind of wish I saw it during it's original airing because it aired along with Captain N. Hopefully Shout Factory will release this in a DVD boxset, put all 26 episodes in a 4-disc set. At least there is one offical DVD released which is King Koopa Katastripie and I have that as well as the bounus Sonic Underground episode though that was my least favorate Sonic cartoon. But still this show is awesome and I still recommend this show to Mario fans even though I would recommand SMBSS more.
  • A great sequel to the first cartoon.

When I was little, my four top favorite shows were Sesame Street, DuckTales, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and of course The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!. After the Super Show, I caught some episodes of this show, though while I was younger at the time which can be considered the stupid ages I guess, I didn't even know that The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 was a different cartoon of Mario that continued the storyline from the last one, I thought it was just the same show, then again, I didn't really know of the exsistance of the video game Super Mario Bros. 3 at the time, I didn't even own a Nintendo Entertainment System, I only saw my cousins play on one when I went to visit them. When I got my own NES and the Mario games, I always enjoyed playing them and it interested me in The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! and The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 even more. And then when I actually got the SMB3 game to play, I loved the game so much and reconized this show for how it was based differently then the Super Show was and I must say, for basing these episodes of the 3rd "Super Mario Bros." video game, DIC Entertainment did a wonderful job.

I used to have a bootleg of this series that I bought on eBay, but it was so defective that I was upset that I could not actually enjoy the show anymore, but resently I got the ONLY exsisting DVD of SMB3 made in the US, "King Koopa Katasrophe" and with having it now, I threw away my bootleg and plan to get a better one if I can't buy an actual DVD set of the series soon.

While in some ways, this show doesn't seem AS well animated as it's predecessor and some things are a little more confusing then the prevous series (something for me in the end of the episode where Mario and the other turn into babies) but it is still as good for anyone who likes the old series and the game. I am sure fans of the first series would maybe like this one a little more the Super Mario World (though there are also those who like SMW more too) and those who are really into the SMB3 game.

I would recommend this series like I did the other two Mario shows to many Mario fans, I am sure many of them will enjoy it, and as I have said before, if you have kids, share this show with them, it's fun for all ages.
  • I don\'t care what people say about this cartoon, it\'s excellent, plain and simple!

Well, I used to watch this show when I was younger (and still do on dvd sometimes), and I loved it then, and I still love it. There are plenty of reasons as to why this cartoon is so excellent. For one, the plots seemed to stay pretty true to the Mario series, even if they weren't the kind you'd see in the games. For another, it had the Koopalings, and gave them the individual personalities we know and love them by. The way Ludwig was smart, and an inventor was cool. The way Morton liked to talk alot was funny. The way Larry cheated and double-crossed was cool. And the rest of their personalities were great as well, as stated before. And the Koopalings, along with other characters, were well-voiced. I don't even mind the fact that they changed the Koopalings' names. Other cool stuff this cartoon did was used sounds and music from the game, as well as the power-ups. There were so many excellent things about this cartoon. I don't know why some people don't like this cartoon, but I guess you can't please everyone.

Anyway, simply put, an excellent cartoon based off of an excellent game.
  • Brilliant!

The continuing adventures of the Mario Bros. This show was great for its time and needs to replace today's crappy cartoons. This show featured the Super Mario bros, the princess toadstool (Or Peach), , Toad, King Koopa, and his koopa kids. I remember the episode "The Ugly mermaid", that episode just made this show better than ever! Please, bring this back and replace the crappy reality shows with it.
  • Cool show!

After the Super Mario Bros. Super Show aired in 1989, Mario was brought back the following year in a new series, based on Super Mario Bros. 3, as opposed to SMB1 & 2. The live action bits were dropped altogether, and the show was now sharing a timeslot with Captain N on NBC.

Unlike SBMSS, TAOSMB3 was closer to the game it was based on, in that very little was changed between the transition. This show used actual lands, minions and powerups from the game, and used graphics that were nearly identical to the game itself.

Another factor of the show is that it made extensive use of the Koopalings, as at least one of them appeared in every episode. Even though the Koopalings had different names in the cartoons than in the games (Morton was known as Big Mouth, for instance), I didn't really mind that much, mainly because the Koopalings didn't have much personality outside of this show anyway. In fact, this show is probably the main reason why a good number of Mario fans like Koopalings so much.

This show is worth checking out, and a DVD of it does exist. Do a lookup of "King Koopa Katastrophe" at amazon.com to find it. Unfortunately, there's only six episodes on it, so if you want to see other episodes, you'll need to resort to "underground" methods at the moment. Since SMBSS is getting a DVD Boxset, currently scheduled for early 2006, I hope that this show will follow.
  • when i was a kid i watch that show. i love mario cartoons and all that but this ones even better. unlike the other video game cartoons, this show really rocks my socks.

this show is so cool. i watch it when i was a kid. i just love that show. my favorite character is kooky von koopa. he\'s smart and cute. but my favorite episode is sneaky lying cheating giant ninja koopas. keep up the good work. and i love it so much.
  • Why dont they bring it back it was a good show when i was a kid!!!

Was an awsome show, i watched it when i was about 4 along with the other mario cartoons. Im a big fan of mario so im gonna give it a 10, if anyone wants to know you can download episodes of almost every mario cartoon there was, you can go to www.yoshilore.com.
  • My Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 review.

The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 was a pretty good cartoon based on the video game of the same name. It may not have been the greatest interpertation of the game and its characters, but it was still entertaining. My favorite character of course was King Koopa aka Bowser and his Koopa kids. A lot of people complain that they didn't use their names from the game but I think the names they used fit them on this show. As for the Mario Bros., Mario and Luigi they were portrayed well on this show but I liked their portrayals on The Super Mario Bros. Super Show better as well as their voice actors which were Lou Albano and Danny Wells. Even though there are a lot of animation errors in the show I feel that its 26 episodes still stand up today.
< 1 2