Captain N: The Game Master

NBC (ended 1991)

RaijinPaladinix

Captain N: The Game Master Fan Reviews (13)

7.9
  • Videogames and tv together!

This is the kind of show that brings the best from two worlds: Televison and Video games. In Colombia this show was not big but i did watch all the episodes they transmitted here (which were not many).

I loved watching some of my favorires video games heros beating the hoopalooza out of the bad guys from other video games. The stories were not that good and the animation was ok so i suppose the main hook was that our videogames on tv and we didnt want to leave them alone in their battles across the NES universe.

Good watch, although my friends hated it for being childish.
  • Not cute, but a really really funny show

I lol in joy everytime I watch this show. Silly, but awesome show. I know I use to hate this show, but now I understand it more now. I really like it even though mother brain is kind of aggresive to his workers but that's okay, still a very very funny show. Enjoyable to watch, great episodes and nice characters veen though they are a bit flat. I don't really like kid icarus because his voice was kind of stupid, cheesy and squeaky Captain N rules because he is very smart, loyal and determined so that's why I like him. I know you might have not seen this show before but you should it's on youtube. Overall: An awesome show 10/10.9.5
  • A TV show based on all kinds of games on the NES.

Here is my review for this great TV show based on a video-game or two. It is "Captain N: The Game Master", and it is based on lots of classic video-games that were released on the Nintendo Entertainment System (or NES, for short). It is about a teenage boy named Kevin and his dog, Duke, getting sucked into Videoland, a world found inside his NES. There, they meet Princess Lana, who chose Kevin to protect Videoland from the forces of evil. They also go on all kinds of adventures with three best-known video-game heroes: Mega Man (Mega Man), Kid Icarus (Kid Icarus), and Simon Belmont (Castlevania). The villains in this show are a gang of video-game bad guys that work together: Mother Brain (Metroid), Dr. Wily (Mega Man), King Hippo (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!), and The Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus). This show also has plenty of other characters from games as well, such as Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong) and Link (The Legend Of Zelda). When I first saw this show, I didn't know much about the games they were from. But as time passed I managed to play most of the games that were in the show, and I liked it more than I did when I was young. This show is recommended for anyone who loves the NES.
  • Designed to sell Nintendo merchandise to 6-10 year old kids for a couple of years, and that's what it did.

6.3
    The "Captain N" series was one of Nintendo's inroads into the kiddie TV market.

Kevin Keene, a 15-year-old kid from Northridge, CA and a video game buff, gets summoned to Videoland to serve alongside Princess Lana and video game heroes Simon Belmont, Kid Icarus and Mega Man (now christened the "N Team"). They must protect Videoland from Mother Brain and her minions. At the outset, it is clear that there is a lot of potential in this series, given the characters and all the different video-game worlds there are to work with. Of course, this show was just conceived as a way to sell Nintendo products to kids for a couple of years, so it turned into a cheesy 80s cartoon replete with lame puns and gags instead.

Characters:

Kevin Keene is a 15-year-old kid who plays video games, until he gets sucked into Videoland by the Ultimate Warp Zone and is forced to play the role of the Hero From Another World (TM). He is simultaneously a master at navigating the realms of Videoland and a stranger in a whole new world a la "Alice in Wonderland". After overcoming his initial doubts, he'll do anything for the lovely Princess Lana and the rest of the N Team, but sometimes is too caught up in the "game" he's living to realize what else is going on in the world around him.

Princess Lana is the young (maybe in her early 20s?), beautiful, sweet ruler of Videoland, having been put in a very difficult situation by having to take the throne in the year since her father disappeared. She obviously misses her father dearly and often is insecure about her leadership abilities. She will go on to make some really foolish decisions in the series, as well as some shrewd, strong and confident ones. She's much more competent than other female cartoon protagonists of the era, who tended to be ditzy and/or perpetually getting captured or getting into trouble on their own. Lana regularly goes on adventures with the N Team and is seen to be quite a skilled athlete, but the fact that she doesn't carry a weapon greatly limits her effectiveness.

Simon Belmont, world-class vampire hunter from Castlevania, is portrayed as a conceited character and comic-relief punching bag, as just about any scene with him showing off will go horribly wrong. He will constantly contend with Kevin for leadersihp of the N Team and for Lana's affections, and he'll rarely miss an opportunity to take a pot-shot at Kevin, Kid Icarus, Mega Man or even Lana. Sometimes he's hilarious; other times he's just plain mean. Later on in the series he'll eventually start to appreciate Kevin, but more often he's unlikeable caricature and a disappointment.

Mega Man and Kid Icarus are somewhat lesser heroes on the team, in that they're not quite as involved in the key plots and their personalities are not as well developed. They also have really annoying speech defects.

Duke is man's best friend; not much else to say about him.

Mother Brain is basically a cortex in a glass vase, with a face and some tentacles attached. Pretty typical head villian. It's not clear exactly how mobile she is, though. In some scenes she has to be carried around by her minions, while in others she'll be driving a tank or some other vehicle.

King Hippo and Eggplant Wizard are typical bad-guy flunkies, also serving as comic relief. King Hippo is just an oversized gastropod with boxing gloves, while Eggplant Wizard is probably much more powerful than he realizes, given that he seems to have the ability to turn any being into some sort of plant product.

Donkey Kong appears in several episodes and is probably the most interesting non-protagonist in the series, as there are instances where the N Team must work against him and others where they must work with him. Given his immense size and inability to speak English, it's not too surprising that the throne of Videoland was never able to bring him under its jurisdiction.

Game Boy, introduced in Season 2, is an all-purpose supercomputer who comes from the Mirror World where King Charles is imprisoned. King Charles has a once-in-10,000 years to escape the Mirror World and return to Videoland, but opts to send Game Boy in his place. Game Boy starts out as a rather out-of-control character but eventually settles down and becomes an important part of the team. And yes, deep down he really is an egregious marketing plug, especially since he can do a lot of things the real-world Game Boy couldn't, like fly and shoot things out of his LCD screen.

---------

Plot Devices:

Okay, here's where the show really gets annoying.

Clairvoyance: Mother Brain has a mirror that can show her pretty much any location in Videoland. It starts with this episode, when MB notices that the Ultimate Warp Zone has lowered the Palace's defenses. The magical "eye in the sky" is a common cartoon device that provides a cheap way for the bad guys to come up with a plan to cause trouble. Much more interesting plots can be written when not everyone knows what everyone else is doing. Thankfully, the writers didn't think to give the characters portable videophones like some others did (TMNT, I'm looking in your direction).

Teleportation: Yeah, the characters in the show need some way to get from point A to point B. But in this show, warp zones pretty much can be conjured up on demand. It provides a quick way for characters to make a getaway at the end of the show (a common plot device), but where it gets really inappropriate is when bad guys can break in and out of the Palace of Power (or good guys into Metroid, for that matter) pretty much whenever they want. If they could do this, why wouldn't the bad guys just break into the Palace at night and throttle the N Team in their sleep?

Simon's Backpack and Kid Icarus's Quiver: Simon's backpack seems to be infinite in capacity and full of useful and useless items, while Kid Icarus's quiver is full of arrows that do pretty much whatever the task warrants. The concept of an infinite backpack is probably a dig at primitive adventure games which don't restrict a player's carrying capacity. Having tools on demand is sometimes entertaining, but more often it's another cheap plot device.

Unlimited Power: Kevin's Zapper has pretty much unlimited power, except when it conveniently goes out in a big spot. His pause button could probably get him out of any sticky situation, if he'd just remember to use it. EW can turn anybody into any sort of plant product. MB is always searching for artifacts that provide "unlimited power". Serious writers carefully define the limits of the characters' abilities. For example, they could have paid more attention to the power meter on Kevin's Power Pad (which is supposed to go down every time he uses it), but that'd have been too much work.

Other Cliched Plot Devices: There's an episode involving a love potion, one involving a poisoned apple, one involving a genie's lamp, one in which the team breaks up and reunites, one involving a mind-transference device, one involving a helmet that possesses its wearer with an evil spirit, one involving a Trojan horse, one involving hypnotic ink, one in which someone suffers amnesia...you get the idea.

Lame 80's Style Gags and Puns:

Yup, we got 'em in spades.

Music:

In Season 1, they have various scenes with cover artists playing various R&B and new wave toons. Not too shabby. In Season 2, they must have decided that the licensing fees for cover versions were too much, as they had artists playing knockoffs of early rock-and-roll tunes instead. Especially embarrassing is a mutilation of "Shake Rattle and Roll", christened "Havin' a Ball" and featuring in at least two episodes. Bill Haley must be spinning in his grave.

It would have been hilarious to hear some of the Four Tops' hits being played (or butchered) on the show, given that their lead singer lent his voice to Mother Brain.

They missed a few tunes that should have been automatic -- "Me Myself and I" for some Simon Belmont scene; either "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care" or "It's Hip To Be Square" for the Tetris episode; some of the excellent Mega Man II music"...I could rant on and on about this. Let's just move on.

--------

Conclusion:

The show could have been so much more than what it was, but that would have required the staff and producers to put a lot more work in (and probably play more Nintendo games). Since the show was just conceived as a way to get little kids to buy Nintendo products, one can't bee too surprised by the way it turned out.
  • Travel To VideoLand!

Captain N: The Game Master taken from a Nintendo Power Comic, Became one of the best cartoons of the 90's. It took the viewers into the many worlds of Nintendo. Also Placing many gaming icons together for the first time, Pit(Kid Icarus), Megaman, Simon Belmont, Mother Brain, and many more. The Show also used characters from lesser known games like Burgertime, Puss in Boots, and made them more popular with the gaming world. The show also featured Link and Zelda from the Legend Of Zelda Cartoons in a couple of episodes. The Show is a classic and deserves being put on DVD by Shout Factory! Buy It, You won't be sorry!
  • Skilled game whiz Kevin Keene and his loyal dog Duke are magically transported by the Ultimate Warp Zone and protect Videoland from the evil Mother Brain and her minions.

Skilled game whiz Kevin Keene and his loyal dog Duke are magically transported by the Ultimate Warp Zone to the alternate universe called Videoland where Nintendo games are real. Now, Kevin Keene a.k.a. Captain N and his N Team fight to protect Videoland from the evil Mother Brain and her minions. “Captain N: The Game Master” was an animated television series that aired on NBC from 1989 to 1993. The animated series incorporated elements from many of the most popular Nintendo games of all time. “Captain N: The Game Master” went through several changes that affected the overall quality of the show’s writing and animation that didn’t amused fans and was soon cancelled. Hardcore video game fans criticized the show’s game inaccuracies and clichéd characters and television watch groups labeled it as obvious commercials aimed at children to push Nintendo products.
  • My Saturday morning fix.

I loved this show! It was one of my favorites as a kid. I was one of those odd kids who slept late on Saturdays but I always mad esure I got up in time to wath this. I liked it so much I even named my rottweiler Duke after Kevin's dog. :) Yes I'm a freak but I cant help it. I always wished I could go into some of my favorite games like Kevin did. I don't know too many people in my area who watched the show but I am a big fan. I want to get all the episodes someday so I can rewatch them. :) I highly reccomend this show.
  • Captain N I could still remember this show from when I was a child.

I remember watching this show when I was only 4 years old my big brother would always watch it in the living room every Saturday morning. I seen all the nintendo characters in this show Link,MegaMan,Kid icarus,Simon Belmont from castlevania,The Hippo boxer from punchout,Samus,and Mother Brain. Mario is the only one who never appeared in his show because he had his own cartoon. Captain N was their leader and protector of videoland. Man he was just playing his NES and got sucked into his game. Man this show was amazing to watch I wish they brought it back because I was born in 1989 so I didn't see much of it because it was ahead of my time.

P.S Amazing they made a show based on the Nintendo and most of it's games.
  • HE is worried that prinsiple Hyde will not want her to be the School Captain. Seb tries to support her and tells her there is nothing Hyde can do about it anyway as long as she gets enough votes.

HE is worried that prinsiple Hyde will not want her to be the School Captain. Seb tries to support her and tells her there is nothing Hyde can do about it anyway as long as she gets enough votes, because that only means everyone want her to be the School Captain. They tells him and Seb that she has lost the baby.
  • One of the best video game cartoons ever!

Here's the story: A boy named Kevin Keene was playing the best system ever, the NES, and he got sucked into Videoland, along with his dog Duke. In Videoland, video game characters exist, and it's a cartoon. He makes a team called the N Team, that features Megaman, Simon Belmont, Kid Icarus, Link and Zelda (sometimes), Princess Lana, Gameboy, and many other video game characters. They must defend Videoland from Mother Brain's team of Nintendo villains. Kevin Keene has a Zapper and a Power Glove, which were accesories for the NES. It is very interesting and exciting. I only gave is an 8 because it doesn't feature Mario (He's Nintendo stinkin' mascot,) and it's not exactly the show that you're friends should find out that you like and watch. I reccomend this awesome show to anyone who remembers their past of fun video games (before they sucked.) Actually, I reccomend this show to anyone!
  • Take a gander at the main page ;)

This show was absolutely a clever idea, unfortunately I didn't discover it until it had all ready been cancelled :( But I still loved the episodes I have seen. It's such a great idea, surfing through video game land, sounds like fun to me! This show had a lot of potential, especially today, with all the games out there!
  • A great show if you are an old school Nintendo fan

I am a huge fan of Nintendo, I like to play Nintendo games such as Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Star Fox, and more.

But Nintendo was very popular back during the 80s and 90s with lots of Nintendo stuff not just the video games but the other murchandise as well. They released a board game of Super Mario Bros and Valiant made a series of Nintendo comics such as Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Game Boy, Captain N, Metroid, Punch-out, and more. They even made a Nintendo ceriel with Mario and Zelda Marshmellows and of course the main corse of what I'm reviewing, Captain N.

If your a fan of all of that old school Nintendo stuff, then you will love Captain N. Captain N features alot of your favorate old school Nintendo characters, it features Kid Iciris, Megaman, Donkey Kong, Mother Brain (Metroid) King Hippo (Punch-out), Eggplant Wizard (Kid Iciris), and not to Mention Simon Belmont (Castlevania).

There is also several episodes that Link and Zelda appers in with the same voices from the Legend of Zelda cartoon and the Captain N episodes where Link and Zelda appers in makes a better example to the Legend of Zelda video games because Link is not trying to sneak a kiss from Zelda and he doesn't say his cartoon line "Excuse me, Princess". Also Zelda really does kiss Link in the Captain N episodes.

Although it has all of these old school Nintendo characters, Mario doesn't apper in any of the episodes, probably because Mario aired along with Captain N in it's original airings. Also the biggest thing I didn't like about this show is that Samus Aran doesn't apper in this show however she does apper as an N-team member in the Captain N comics without Simon and Megaman. Megaman looked nothing like he did in the video games (he was short and green) and Simon was a wuss.

The last unfortunate thing about this show is that there isn't much VHS and DVDs released for this show. In the US, there is no DVDs released for this show but there is only two VHS tapes released for that show. Both of the VHS tapes include only one episode each (Quest for the potion of power and Gameboy). In the UK there is three VHS released and in Australia The complete third season is released in the Super Mario World DVDs.

Overall, this is one of my favorate shows next to the Super Mario Bros Super Show, The Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, and The Legend of Zelda. If your an old-school Nintendo fan then you might love this show and the other shows I just mentioned.
  • Aminated showfeating Nintendo characters..and Mega Man!

Captain N was an interesting series, although there was only a few episodes shown here in the UK. I Though it was an absolute treat to watch when I was a wee nipper, watching the cartoons on a Saturday morning tucked up in bed....ah the good old days! Classic series, and I kinda miss it in a way...