Captain Planet and the Planeteers

The Ultimate Pollution

Aired Sunday 5:05 PM Apr 20, 1991 on TBS

• Another of my favorites!

This is probably one of my favorite episodes from the first season (I think the only ones I like better are the two involving Captain Pollution's debute). This is the first time, I think, that we see the Planeteers dealing with something that isn't actual physical pollution (ie what we would think of as harmful to the Earth). The show does a fairly superb job of dealing with the issue of hate and war (Okay, I think it was a little cheesy, but we're talking about a kids show here) and really gives kids a chance to understand the politics of war (ie that war can be started by something as silly as "they-aren't-like-us" and can be kept going by warmongers and profiteers).
  • One of the most powerful episodes of "Captain Planet and the Planeteers" of all time. :idea:

This well-written episode reveals an actual truth that has been all too common for the past 90 odd years or so. :idea" Corporations (headed by various profit seekers solely interested in increasing their bottom line) have been manufacturing and selling weapons to two conflicting countries in order to make money while killing off what they consider to be inferior people at the same time. This episode proves that the only way to win at war is to not play it at all, a lesson which Kwame, Wheeler, Linka, Gi, and Ma-ti must help two neighboring villages in the deserts of Asia Minor come to grips with. The enemy isn't the other town, or themselves, the enemy is the person (or people) that sells innocent villagers weapons and profits out of the lies that are sold to them! :!: Only by learning to look past the differences of others and learning to live with each other as spiritual brothers and sisters will humans be able to grow to their ultimate evolutionary potential and find out what it means to be at peace and have love and trust in the world. That's what this show brings as its moral message, and one that needs to be told even more today. I highly recommend this episode for it's truthful lesson, for anyone who considers themselves a fan of the environment and/or of cartoons! :D Enough said, true believers! ;)