Cardcaptor Sakura Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2000)

Do they change it a lot in the dub?

trigon55

[1]Jan 19, 2007
    • level: 10
    I only saw the original version, so my question is, do they change a lot in the dub?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

charmedchika4

[2]Jan 19, 2007
    • level: 5
    so much like you got no idea. it just pisses me off. not only did they change the names
    • Sakura Kinomoto / Sakura Avalon
    • Toya Kinomoto / Tori Avalon
    • Fujitaka Kinomoto / Aiden Avalon
    • Nadeshiko Kinomoto / Natasha Avalon
    • Syaoran Li / Li Showron
    • Meiling Li / Meilin Rae
    • Tomoyo Daidouji / Madison Taylor
    • Sonomi Daidouji / Samantha Taylor
    • Eriol Hiiragizawa / Eli Moon
    • Kaho Mizuki / Layla Mackenzie
    • Yukito Tsukishiro / Julian Star
    • Clow Reed / Clow Reed
    • Cerberus / Keroberos
    • Yue / Yue
    • Spinel Sun / Spinner Sun
    • Ruby Moon (Nakuru Akizuki) / Ruby Moon
    • Chiharu Mihara / Chelsea
    • Rika Sasaki / Rita
    • Takashi Yamazaki / Zachary
    • Naoko Yanagisawa / Nikki
    • Maki Matsumoto / Maggie
    • Yoshiyuki Terada / Mr. Terada
    they changed the portrayal of the characters. sakura, tomoyo and kero lose the sweetness in their voices, syaoran no longer likes sakura, they portray chiharu and yamazaki as cousins, rika is "afraid" of terada, they took out the toya-kaho and toya-yukito relationship not to mention that syaoran does not have a crush on yukito in the first season. oh yeah, syaoran and meiling aren't cousins and their hometown isn't revealed not to mention their engagement is off, tomoyo doesn't have an infatuation w/ sakura and they aren't acknowledged as second cousins, and their location is Reedington but it's never specified exactly where. and sakura refers to Tokyo Tower as the radio tower. not to mention that the Sakura Cards are called Star Cards. how gay is that. they also change they incantations. grrr, the "first" episode is actually episode eight in the japanese original cuz they wanted to make it more appealing to guys. wtf, it's a "magical girl" theme. they make syaoran the male protagonist so sakura has to share the spotlight. i used to like because i was young and didn't know about the original but i started watching and it's 10x more better. don't bother wasting time. it's not worth it.

BTRAV

[3]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 27
    Very well said.

trigon55

[4]Jan 20, 2007
    charmedchika4 wrote:
    so much like you got no idea. it just pisses me off. not only did they change the names
    • Clow Reed / Clow Reed
    • Cerberus / Keroberos
    • Yue / Yue
    • Rika Sasaki / Rita
    they changed the portrayal of the characters. sakura, tomoyo and kero lose the sweetness in their voices, syaoran no longer likes sakura, they portray chiharu and yamazaki as cousins, rika is "afraid" of terada, they took out the toya-kaho and toya-yukito relationship not to mention that syaoran does not have a crush on yukito in the first season. oh yeah, syaoran and meiling aren't cousins and their hometown isn't revealed not to mention their engagement is off, tomoyo doesn't have an infatuation w/ sakura and they aren't acknowledged as second cousins, and their location is Reedington but it's never specified exactly where. and sakura refers to Tokyo Tower as the radio tower. not to mention that the Sakura Cards are called Star Cards. how gay is that. they also change they incantations. grrr, the "first" episode is actually episode eight in the japanese original cuz they wanted to make it more appealing to guys. wtf, it's a "magical girl" theme. they make syaoran the male protagonist so sakura has to share the spotlight. i used to like because i was young and didn't know about the original but i started watching and it's 10x more better. don't bother wasting time. it's not worth it.

well thank you, that sounds like it sucks

Angus_Mac

[5]Jan 21, 2007
    • level: 71
    I'd think of it as two different series really like Gatchaman, Battle of the Planets, and G-Force. They even have separate mangas.

lightning_kf

[6]Jan 21, 2007
    • level: 36
    trigon55 wrote:
    charmedchika4 wrote:
    • Clow Reed / Clow Reed
    • Cerberus / Keroberos
    • Yue / Yue
    • Rika Sasaki / Rita

You don't know the half of it until you compare the two.

trigon55

[7]Jan 21, 2007
    lightning_kf wrote:
    trigon55 wrote:
    charmedchika4 wrote:
    • Clow Reed / Clow Reed
    • Cerberus / Keroberos
    • Yue / Yue
    • Rika Sasaki / Rita

You don't know the half of it until you compare the two.

I don't really feel like taking the time compare, so I'm gonna just stick with the original

lightning_kf

[8]Jan 22, 2007
    • level: 36
    Good.  Original all the way.

SailorB

[9]May 2, 2007
    • level: 16

lightning_kf wrote:
    Good.  Original all the way.

I agree.

nourannoying44

[10]May 4, 2007
    • level: 3
    OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! YOU PEOPLE WHY DON'T YOU GIVE CARDCAPTORS A CHANCE??????? CARDCAPTORS IS GREAT AND IT SHOULD COME BACK ON THE AIR!!!

asian_lamia

[11]May 5, 2007
    • level: 32
    we did and we didn't like it. Original version all the way..

BTRAV

[12]May 5, 2007
    Yes, I agree. We should have SOMETHING, but I'd prefer if they came out with an uncut version.

Angus_Mac

[13]May 7, 2007
    • level: 71
    In all fairness, Clamp did allow and approve its series being gutted and rearranged from Cardcaptor Sakura to Cardcaptors.

About the only dub of CCS that didn't get rearranged was the second movie, Cardcaptor Sakura 2: The Sealed Card. That one Sakura actually says things that are close to the translation, and none of her friends have Americanized names.

BTRAV

[14]May 8, 2007
    They often allow them to do so, and it drives me nuts!

SailorB

[15]May 10, 2007

BTRAV wrote:
    Yes, I agree. We should have SOMETHING, but I'd prefer if they came out with an uncut version.

There was one by Animax, but that channel only plays in India. You'll have to ask your local cable provider (or something like that) to give connections to that channel if u wanna watch what I call, "the good dub".

Edited on 05/10/2007 12:58pm

Swimmerkaylee

[16]May 20, 2007
    • level: 8
    OMG!! THE DUB SUKZ!! I first read the book version of the dub, and I HATED IT! But I thought I would try the anime just to see if it was better, AND I CRIED ON THE LAST EPISODE!! (PS. If you know me from the fruits basket boards, you understand that crying is a HUGE deal to me) (PSS, In other terms, I never cry.) Now Im pizzed cuz I accidently sold my cardcaptor sakura book 1 (be4 i liked ccs), and now I gotta buy it!

asian_lamia

[17]May 29, 2007
    • level: 32
    SailorB wrote:

BTRAV wrote:

There was one by Animax, but that channel only plays in India. You'll have to ask your local cable provider (or something like that) to give connections to that channel if u wanna watch what I call, "the good dub".

Yeah, I know what you mean. The English audio. No changes in names but just the language. As much as I prefer the Japanese, the English audio was OK. They only got the "love" and "like" mixed up, unfortunately =X

Naylte

[18]Jul 1, 2007

charmedchika4 wrote:

I totally agree with you in most of these aspects, but I wouldn't call changing Sakura Cards into Star Cards as 'gay', granted it is annoying I find that saying something in Cardcaptors is gay compared to Cardcaptor Sakura is a juxtaposition, it's the lack of gay that's the main annoyance!

Naylte

[19]Jul 1, 2007

nourannoying44 wrote:
    OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! YOU PEOPLE WHY DON'T YOU GIVE CARDCAPTORS A CHANCE??????? CARDCAPTORS IS GREAT AND IT SHOULD COME BACK ON THE AIR!!!

It's alright, but you've got to admit that while it's nice to compare the two to see what's changed it is very bothersome that they left out much of the effeminate appeal and same-sex relationships, especially considering that Japanese societyis more sensitive about female empowerment and homosexual relationships than Western society, you'd think we'd have more effeminate and gay animations than Japan on that principle but it seems to always wind up being the other way around.

SailorB

[20]Jul 9, 2007
    Naylte wrote:

charmedchika4 wrote:

I totally agree with you in most of these aspects, but I wouldn't call changing Sakura Cards into Star Cards as 'gay', granted it is annoying I find that saying something in Cardcaptors is gay compared to Cardcaptor Sakura is a juxtaposition, it's the lack of gay that's the main annoyance!

Good point. charmedchika, I think you should've maybe said that it was, I dunno, retarded, not gay That just makes more sense.