Cardcaptor Sakura Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2000)

Do they change it a lot in the dub?

lightning_kf

[61]Aug 24, 2008
    • level: 36

I guess it's safe to say that a lot of anime don't deserve to reach Western shores, yes?

To this day I think: taking a magical girl anime.......and making it into a generic, inter-gender cartoon in the U.S? With teenaged voices (I swear, the characters sounded older) and all......only to come up with this 2 words:

BAD IDEA!

Edited on 08/24/2008 8:25pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BTRAV

[62]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 27
    Oh they deserve to come if they can be acquired by the right dubbing agency. If not, they're better off just being imported in Japanese with language subtitles.

lightning_kf

[63]Aug 25, 2008

BTRAV wrote:
    Oh they deserve to come if they can be acquired by the right dubbing agency. If not, they're better off just being imported in Japanese with language subtitles.

True, though how often is that the case?

BTRAV

[64]Aug 26, 2008
    Well we never know until after the fact, sadly.

lightning_kf

[65]Aug 28, 2008

BTRAV wrote:
    Well we never know until after the fact, sadly.

Exactly.

Some of them are good, I'll give them credit for it. Others to which they change the directed audience to something and make it appaling, then no.

Nightwingrox

[66]Sep 10, 2008
    • level: 4
    lightning_kf wrote:

I guess it's safe to say that a lot of anime don't deserve to reach Western shores, yes?

To this day I think: taking a magical girl anime.......and making it into a generic, inter-gender cartoon in the U.S? With teenaged voices (I swear, the characters sounded older) and all......only to come up with this 2 words:

BAD IDEA!

Just because the big companies suck at dubbing, doesn't mean that there aren't individuals over here who don't deserve to watch anime. You can hardly blame the average consumer for the mistakes of the big syndicates.

CardcaptorToph

[67]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 23
    I don't like the fact they took out the cute Sakura/Syaoran in the dub and lots of other things but I did watch the dub first so I don't hate it, I sometimes watch it cause I don't want to read the subs but I did watch Cardcaptors first but I do prefer Cardcaptor Sakura over Cardcaptors most of the stuff they took out didn't need to be taken out like in "The New Transfer Student" with the FIGHT card why is it such a bad thing Li let her borrow his shirt? I mean really? People borrow things from people all the time in the US its not just a Japanese thing

BTRAV

[68]Oct 3, 2008
    It was from the episode with the Move Card, which I've never seen in English so maybe it was just because of that? I don't know, but the U.S. English release was just messed up with how they did the episodes.
    Edited on 10/03/2008 5:14am

CardcaptorToph

[69]Oct 7, 2008
    • level: 23
    Cardcaptors did ruin a lot of the original but I saw the one with Illusion in English and it was just like the manga. So they did good with that one

Angus_Mac

[70]Nov 24, 2008
    • level: 71
    It was still around the time that US companies wanted the products Americanized, and I believe the Japanese companies approved of the Cardcaptors edit. If you want another example, consider all the little nicknames they gave to the Initial D characters and redoing of all the music.

But now the current trend is to show uncut anime shows. The big companies offer on their DVD's both their rewrite of the episode plus the original Japanese dub and some more accurate subtitles. Some titles will still be censor edited on TV (the Naruto kiss in episode 2).

Nightwingrox

[71]Jan 20, 2009
    CardcaptorToph wrote:
    I don't like the fact they took out the cute Sakura/Syaoran in the dub and lots of other things but I did watch the dub first so I don't hate it, I sometimes watch it cause I don't want to read the subs but I did watch Cardcaptors first but I do prefer Cardcaptor Sakura over Cardcaptors most of the stuff they took out didn't need to be taken out like in "The New Transfer Student" with the FIGHT card why is it such a bad thing Li let her borrow his shirt? I mean really? People borrow things from people all the time in the US its not just a Japanese thing

The reason Meilin had a problem with Sakura borrowing Syaoran's shirt was because Meilin gave him that particular shirt. Plus, Meilin's just possessive.

nightXfall15

[72]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 10
    I have a feeling that I'm going to get totally shot here but I didn't actually mind some of the voice changes THAT much =/ I think Sakura's in the original was just a little too sweet for my liking, it made me feel that she was about 7 or something. That didn't appeal to me since I don't tend to like characters who are vastly younger than myself, and though she is still the same age in CC, her voice made me view her as just a little bit older. Also, I didn't mind the theme tune either, eh-heh ^_^'

However, I'm by no means going to proceed to say that the dub was good. It most certainly was not.

Nightwingrox

[73]Mar 17, 2009
    nightXfall15 wrote:
    I have a feeling that I'm going to get totally shot here but I didn't actually mind some of the voice changes THAT much =/ I think Sakura's in the original was just a little too sweet for my liking, it made me feel that she was about 7 or something. That didn't appeal to me since I don't tend to like characters who are vastly younger than myself, and though she is still the same age in CC, her voice made me view her as just a little bit older. Also, I didn't mind the theme tune either, eh-heh ^_^'

However, I'm by no means going to proceed to say that the dub was good. It most certainly was not.

I can see what you're saying. Sakura's voice in the original IS somewhat irritating... But I still prefer it to the dub. Mainly because the dub just makes me angry and it's hard to enjoy something that makes you angry.

BTRAV

[74]Mar 23, 2009
    Nightwingrox wrote:
    nightXfall15 wrote:

I can see what you're saying. Sakura's voice in the original IS somewhat irritating... But I still prefer it to the dub. Mainly because the dub just makes me angry and it's hard to enjoy something that makes you angry.

So true!

Nightwingrox

[75]Mar 29, 2009
    BTRAV wrote:
    Nightwingrox wrote:
    nightXfall15 wrote:

So true!

Thanks.

Slinkgirl95

[76]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 15

Oh... oh, my god. Ranty time for the piece of shit dub of CardCaptor Sakura. Oh yeah. This is gonna feel good.

Let's go over the names first so we know who is who and then go over the shit.

Sakura Kinomoto - Sakura Avalon
    Tomoyo Daidouji - Madison Taylor
    Shaoran Li - Li Showron
    Meiling Li - Meilin Rae
    Toya Kinomoto - Tory Avalon
    Yukito Tsukishiro - Julien Star
    Fujitaka Knimoto - Aiden Avalon
    Eriol Hiiragizawa - Eli Moon
    Spinnel Sun - Spinner
    Ruby Moon - (wasn't that her actual name in English?)
    And many others I can't be bothered naming.

Okay, now for the rant. First, the names/titles. They changed it to "CardCaptors". WTF? CardCaptors? There is only ONE CardCaptor and that is Sakura. Oh yeah sure Shaoran does usually get the Clow Cards and can use them but that doesn't make him a CardCaptor. It feels like there's two CardCaptors because of the title. All the English names suck, seriously, Julien Star? Eli Moon? WTH? The voices were really aweful; Sakura sounds like a boy, Kero's got some retarded voice that doesn't even match his body, Tomoyo, oh wait, this is English so let's name her Madison because OMG it's the greatest name ever for her, has some typical girl voice and not her high voice or whatever.

Music... terrible in English. It isn't that magical girl music you've come to love in Magical Girl anime, It has to be the annoying typical and dramatic and rock-ish music that OMG girls love. I can't really describe it so sorry. They often took out musicwhen there was music, for example, when Sakura would be doing the incarnation for the key. Grrr... the incarnation... another gay part. There's no music when she's doing that. Same with when she would use a card or transform a card, you know, with the epic black background and animation?

The relationships... what happened to the relationships? There's no Shaoran/Sakura anymore, there's no Tomoyo/Sakura, no Toya/Koha and certainly no Sharoan/Yukito. WTF? I wanna see love in a cartoon and you don't get it because OMG LOVE IS SO GROSS FOR LITTLE KIDS! No, it isn't.

Really, I just can't go into depth right now. Sorry if this rant is kinda not the best. I'll probably do another one some other time.