Cardcaptor Sakura Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2000)

Why did they change the names

sacoura

[1]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 1
    I do know that japanese name are odd to us but change them i mean what is the use of it
    why call tomoyo tifany and yuki mathieu(just like me ) in the translated version.
    Shahoran Lionell
    Toya Thomas
    Meiling Stéfany
    At least Sakura is still Sakura and Kiero too.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Angus_Mac

[2]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 71
    Hmm, good question. I guess it's Clamp's way of marketing it to the US. You can discuss it in the Cardcaptors guide since they are covering all the US versioned episodes.

asian_lamia

[3]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 32
    I thought their names were (see below) in the dubbed version.
    But yeah. I prefer the original Japanese name.

sacoura

[4]Dec 21, 2006
    • level: 1
    well i watched the serie in french so its seems that they changed the names for the french version also

yuki_megami

[5]Dec 29, 2006
    • level: 24
    asian_lamia wrote:
    I thought their names were (see below) in the dubbed version.
    But yeah. I prefer the original Japanese name.

Yeah I agree I liked the japanease name better.

Naylte

[6]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 10

No question!

The dubbed version kicks quality out the window, changing characters names is just an excuse to make it look as though it's in the country it's being broadcasted in. But, worst of all, the absolute bottom line, they can't even be bothered to pronounce 'Sakura' right!

lightning_kf

[7]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 36
    Simple.  They claim that people won't be able to pronounce the names (hence the reason they can't pronounce Sakura properly) and the fact that they wanted to Americanise the damn thing.  Even worse, they tried to change the style.  What was supposed to be a magical girl anime.....was changed in a way to make it more appealing for both boys and girls.  Now that was downright stupid and pointless.

I'm a male and 22 years of age and still like the original.  Even with all of the girlish stuff in it.  Why can't people see that?  Oh wait, boys are supposed to be tough and not sissies.  Maybe that's why.  Bunch of money-grabbing freaks.

Naylte

[8]Jan 2, 2007

Join the club, CCS is a new favourite of mine and it's last longer than most which come and go, I've been hooked on this since July 2006.

It is a load of rubbish changing a magical girl anime into a male/female anime, it seems to indicate a more patriachal society in the western world and a more gender-neutral society in Japan, even though Japan still has some prejudice with regards to female employment and homosexual relationships. But this anime seems to be in full support of female employment and power and homosexual relationships.

asian_lamia

[9]Jan 10, 2007
    • level: 32

Naylte wrote:

Join the club, CCS is a new favourite of mine and it's last longer than most which come and go, I've been hooked on this since July 2006.

It is a load of rubbish changing a magical girl anime into a male/female anime, it seems to indicate a more patriachal society in the western world and a more gender-neutral society in Japan, even though Japan still has some prejudice with regards to female employment and homosexual relationships. But this anime seems to be in full support of female employment and power and homosexual relationships.

I got hooked since '98. The characters are cute and to die for! It's quite different from other animes, yes, but that's why i like it. Girls rule xD

as for homosexual relationships, we'll just put that aside..
    at least its not 'that' obvious in the show.. =/

kikyohater428

[10]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 6
    Still it pisses me off that Naruto can say Sakura right, but these people can't. Does Sah-kur-ah sound anything like Za-kur-a

charmedchika4

[11]Jan 19, 2007
    • level: 5
    i hate how they changed the voices. what happened to sweet tomoyo's (madison) voice. her voice was so adorable. and kero and sakura. i hate the name pronounciations.

summer_heat

[12]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 16
    charmedchika4 wrote:
    i hate how they changed the voices. what happened to sweet tomoyo's (madison) voice. her voice was so adorable. and kero and sakura. i hate the name pronounciations.

I think that's a little inevitable. Do you know anyone that speaks English in a high, cute voice like that? The voice of Rini (Chibi-Usa) in Sailor Moon is the only one I heard of; but I don't remember if I liked it or not. I think it would be worse if the voice actors for the dub actually try to imitate a high and sweet voice whey they really can't (like listening to someone that can't sing sing).

As for the names, I don't really like them too. It's hard to know that Syaoran's name is Li, when I know his last name is Li. (And that makes Li Li? in my Chinese mind) His Chinese name is Li Xiao Lang, so Li Showron makes absolutely no sense at all to me.

I can only think of one reason why they would change the names. If they use the original names, they would obviously say them in a English way, because the stress sounds and intonation for Japanese words are different from English ones. It's the same for French. I know that in Japanese, the 'r' sound does not really exist; but for French, the 'r' sound can be really heavy. I wonder what 'Sakura' would sound like when it is spoken by a French person that doesn't speak Japanese with a Japanese accent. Therefore, even if the actors actually learned to say the names in the Japanese way with all the right intonations, the dialogue would still sound strange, since the rest of the sentence will follow the intonation of the English language. I can't really see how that can work out.

lightning_kf

[13]Jan 21, 2007
    • level: 36
    kikyohater428 wrote:
    Still it pisses me off that Naruto can say Sakura right, but these people can't. Does Sah-kur-ah sound anything like Za-kur-a
    Nowhere near it.  Bad pronounciation, that's all I can say.

Naylte

[14]Aug 6, 2007

summer_heat wrote:
    charmedchika4 wrote:
    Do you know anyone that speaks English in a high, cute voice like that?

Kate Bush?

Leu-kun

[15]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 6
    It would be hard to tell, they "traslated" their names as part of the translation, but the names are part of the anime itself... hmmm... is like when they also "traslate" the plot by deleting scenes and such... damn edits.

Angus_Mac

[16]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 71
    You mean like Sasha Paysinger, who voices Tomoyo's lookalike, Hatoko, in Angelic Layer?

sugarsplurge

[17]Aug 29, 2007
    Naylte wrote:

summer_heat wrote:
    charmedchika4 wrote:
    Do you know anyone that speaks English in a high, cute voice like that?

Kate Bush?

...wow, I'm kinda late for this, but I used to watch the show when I was littler and just got back into the series a week ago (makes more sense to me now that I'm older...)

anyways, I've been watching the episodes on youtube and started with the English dubbed ones, and I was horrified! The Sakura english voice is SO deep! and I live right next door to a 5th grader who's voice is higher than that so I know what I'm saying when I say... they completely butchered it! Oh yeah, they re-butchered it by renaming everyone, mispronouncing 'Sakura', matching up the voices to the characters' mouths HORRIBLY, and making Kero's voice SO annoying!

However, comparing the English version to the Japanese one, the voices fit much more nicely, I prefer it over the Americanized one, though I'm only on Ep. 6! ^_^

SailorB

[18]Sep 9, 2007
    Well sugarsplurge, that's to be expected. Actually, after Cardcaptors stopped airing I went searching around for episodes. But then, I kept hearing about Card Captor Sakura. So I was curious one day and I went and searched for episodes on Youtube. After watching the first two episodes I realized it was a heck of a lot better than "Cardcaptors".

Megaman200798

[19]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 13
    SailorB wrote:
    Well sugarsplurge, that's to be expected. Actually, after Cardcaptors stopped airing I went searching around for episodes. But then, I kept hearing about Card Captor Sakura. So I was curious one day and I went and searched for episodes on Youtube. After watching the first two episodes I realized it was a heck of a lot better than "Cardcaptors".

Why did it stop airing

Megaman200798

[20]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 13
    Leu-kun wrote:
    It would be hard to tell, they "traslated" their names as part of the translation, but the names are part of the anime itself... hmmm... is like when they also "traslate" the plot by deleting scenes and such... damn edits.

To some of the younger kids, the names may seem unnatural. Shahoran? Toryan?