Care Bears Forums

ABC (ended 1988)

Care Bears merchandising, yay or nay?

TimDrakeRobin

[1]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 26

Once I heard that the CB were making a comeback in the toy aisles a couple years back, I was excited.  Now I didn't have to troll auction after auction on ebay.  But now that they've been out a few years now, what's you're opinion on them?

Why are some getting color changes, like Champ, Secret and Proud Heart? Why tummy emblem changes, like Share's (who now looks alot like Friend's)?  But more importantly, where are all theses new bears coming from?

Some are okay, like finally making at least one of the Panda's.  Releasing the old 3 inch poseables as keychains filled in HUGE gaps of my collection very cheaply.  I really like Surprise Bear, with it's jack-in-the-box tummy emblem.  Laugh-a-lot is okay with her laughing star, but the name is too similar to Love-a-lot (who is one of several Bears missing).  But Do-Your-Best Bear?  Bilingual Amigo Bear?  The deformed baby Bears (not Hugs/Tugs, but the younger versions of other Bears)?  I can tolerate some stuff, because change is inevitable (the eye patch over Loyal Heart Dog's eye was kind of clever) but has some of  the merchandise gotten out of hand?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FriendBear

[2]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 4
    I like the new merchandise, but as with all toys, they tend to go a little to far.

Powdered-Kitty

[3]Sep 14, 2006
    • level: 1
    I agree. I like the original show i watched when i was younger. the new stuff like the color changes and new strangely named bears is kind of weird

agent_0042

[4]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 66
    I'm fine with it --- this show was created in large part to sell toys anyway. Even Arna Selznick of Dancing Monkeys, who directed the first movie admits "I know it was a huge marketing ploy to sell toys."

So they can go as gung-ho as they want with the merchandise. Goodness knows our economy could use a boost and if people are snapping this stuff up, fine with me. Besides, I really like the new look of the merchandise / characters anyway. I saw an ad on my Nick Jr. recording of LazyTown for "Fluffy Scented Care Bears" --- some sort of new plush that's supposed to be extra-fluffy and cuddleable and has various scents.

twilightboy

[5]Nov 30, 2006
    • level: 23
    Carebears (merchandising) for boys, no way!

BTRAV

[6]Dec 10, 2006
    • level: 27
    I'm okay with some of it, but the color and emblem changes (and gender changes) are a bit unsettling to me. And the new ones they just made up (not that there weren't ones that were made up in the past) are getting a little out of hand. I don't like the movies either. Even my younger brother agrees they're pathetic. I like the old stuff I grew up with.

sienna_luvs_tv

[7]Dec 23, 2006
    • level: 13
    I love the care bear stuff, especially the glow-alot care bears (I have share bear). I grew up after care bears had finished, but i borrowed videos and stuff. The merchandising helps the care bear legacy live on

ejwlover

[8]Dec 27, 2006
    • level: 21
    I would buy stuff

AmazingZeljko

[9]Dec 30, 2006
    • level: 9
    I like the new merchandise, but I like the old stuff better.

sscfan

[10]Feb 22, 2007
    • level: 7
    Oh, I like the new merchandise, and would like some... But if dey are available here in Saudi Arabia!

RAMChYLD

[11]Oct 29, 2007
    • level: 25
    Well, only things Care Bears you can get over here in Malaysia are 1. Stationaries, and 2. Books. The plushes show up in certain specialty stores if you get lucky. DVDs and VideoCDs? Haven't seen any locally for a long, long time.

I usually get my plushes off eBay.

BTRAV

[12]Dec 28, 2007
    I got a 25th Anniversary Love-a-Lot for Christmas. Dad sure is sentimental.

Chin-Inon

[13]Nov 15, 2008
    • level: 8
    I don't mind them merchandising the Care Bears, but I do get annoyed when they keep changing the appearances of the secondary original Care Bears (i.e. Champ and Secret bear).

BTRAV

[14]Nov 19, 2008

Chin-Inon wrote:
    I don't mind them merchandising the Care Bears, but I do get annoyed when they keep changing the appearances of the secondary original Care Bears (i.e. Champ and Secret bear).

Yeah it's annoying. Get it right, people! Watch some of the old cartoons and make an effort. why don't ya! That's business for you - they just don't care.