Care Bears

The Care Bears Exercise Show

Aired Weekdays 1:00 PM Nov 04, 1985 on ABC

• Ridiculously condescending and totally unexciting.

1.5
    Leave it to the writers of the CARE BEARS to attempt something different from the norm. Instead of conflicts against No Heart, we get an exercise show in which the characters, smashing the fourth wall, talk directly to (directly? More like talking DOWN) the audience while doing stretching aerobics. Beastly, in what could very well most uncharacteristic (and least annoying, oddly) role ever, lectures to the audience about facts involving muscles and the heart ("Hey, No Heart, it's really me, Beastly! I'm on TV! Get a load of this"). At the end, the Care Bears dance to snippets from Nutcracker suite. Just imagine that! It's extremely odd and disappointing to see this coming from a show about the battle between good and evil. Then again, one gets the feeling that the writers were getting wary of the formulaic plots of the show and trying to shake things up. Either way, this is gratingly silly and condescending stuff and it gets more mindnumbing as it goes on. It is somewhat amusing to see Brave Heart Lion do the stretching exercises though.