Carnivale Forums

HBO (ended 2005)

HBO suggested a 2 hour movie to bring closure, but

crayotic

[1]Nov 29, 2005
    • level: 4
    but the producers of Carnivale denied the idea, saying that it'd take more than 2 hours to do the story justice.. and instead there's talk of it taking the form of a comic book instead

i'm trying to find the link.. i believe i found it somewhere on www.whedonesque.com, but beyond that you'll have to google for yourself

either way, it's kind of good news, as it suggests that a) we could still get an end to the story in some form, and b) it also shows that HBO does realize there's a good amount of support for the show.. and perhaps a third season isn't completely out of the question yet (if s2 dvd sales go well and HBO keeps losing subscribers, who knows)

so I guess it's time to say, keep up the support regardless, coz there could still be a silver lining
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zombifreak

[2]Nov 30, 2005
    • level: 7
    of course i would love to have a third season OR a movie, but getting some explaination as to what happens next in any form is better than nothing.

thanks for the info!

mateo82p

[3]Dec 4, 2005
    • level: 9
    I'd rather have a comic. I remember reading somewhere that the whole story would take 6 seasons. Trying to cram that into a movie or even a season 3 isn't satisfying to me. In comics they could take their time and have absolutely no worries about sales.

Placide

[4]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 7
    I wouldn't want a 2-hour movie, that's not how Carnivále is told and there's no way they could have wrapped up 4 seasons in 2 hours.

I like the idea with the comic, but I would, of course, much rather have a third season. HBO cancelling Carnivále was the worst thing that happened in tv this year and I'll never forgive them.

mgc1971

[5]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 12
    First of all, I must admit that Carnivale is my fav. tv show ever.Period.I love every single chapter of both seasons
    A two hour movie, or maybe a 4 hour miniseries would be better than nothing, and that's exactly what we got till now: nothing
    Even an alternate ending with minor changes could finish the show properly :
    *Spoilers

Jonesy saves Sophie and leaves with her instead of being shot and Justin ends dead on the cornfield..........end of story, no cliffhanger and no need for a new season.yes, a lot of unanswered questions but a decent ending...good vs evil round one finished, that's all

But unfortunately, due to the nature of the show, slow, strongly based on characters, the audiences will never be as good as Carnivale deserves, so a third season is impossible

cb_smizzle

[6]Dec 26, 2005
    I love this show but i think the story has already been told. theres really nothing more to show.

a comic book would be cool though.

chjeme

[7]Jan 4, 2006
    • level: 1
    I just discovered Carnivale-I had seen part of an episode at a friends house and then didn't see anymore of the show until I saw the season 1 DVD set at the library. I watched the 12 episopes fanatically-what an incredible show! Then I check on the internnet to find out about possibly buying season 2 and I find out that the show is cancelled. A mini series or a movie would sure be better than nothing, but it waould lose the magic that drew me in so strongly, a slowly developed, multi-layered story that doesn't try to rush to get the story out. it leaves you wondering and thinking and I am really sad to "discover" this story only to find out that there is no conclusion.

archangelcory16

[8]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 32
    I'd take a movie (or two) over a comic book - I don't like comics much.

HBO could've ordered the third season and moved it to a different night - wasn't it competing with Desperate Housewives?

threedevivos

[9]Jan 20, 2006
    • level: 11
    Carnivale was great. It's a shame that they cancelled it.

alcalde

[10]Feb 8, 2006
    • level: 12
    I agree with cb. I fairly liked how it ended. Anything more would just be rehashing the same fights all over again, etc. Basically all the questions were answered as well.

JBBO3314_basic

[11]Mar 22, 2006
    • level: 5
    I disagree I think there were many angles the writers could have taken with this show but I guess its all just speculation now because we will never see what happened and that is a real shame.

hanlon931

[12]Apr 12, 2006
    • level: 1
    It makes no sense to me that HBO decided to cancel one of their best shows, other than Deadwood. But yet they bring on shows like "The Come Back" or "P. Diddy Presents...".What a mistake.

mateo82p

[13]Jun 1, 2006
    I'd still love to see the story finished via comics.

vazel

[14]Jun 7, 2006
    • level: 3

A comic book would be awesome. HBO continuing the series would be better but comic books is better than nothing. According to this thread though, Marvel already tried to make a Carnivale graphic novel and HBO said no... http://boards.hbo.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700001538&tstart=0&mod=1149540655343

Hopefully something ends up working out. I want to see more Carnivale in any form.
    Edited on 06/07/2006 4:05am

nadavp3

[15]Jun 18, 2006

Like others said before - something, is much better then nothing, but -

If you think it through, the cancellation of the show was the major reason it became such a success on DVD, because when it was aired it didn't have much ratings. that was also the reason it became a cult series.

By bringing it back HBO is taking a risk that after such a buzz, the audience will be disappointed.

and you know what they say - the bigger the anticipation is....  

Were the reasons for cancelling the show purely financial?

mateo82p

[16]Jun 18, 2006
    Yeah. It cost 1 million per episode to produce. that's too much considering the ratings. they couldn't afford to continue.

i still like the comic idea. i can't believe HBO are such jerks that they won't even let them do that.

nadavp3

[17]Jun 20, 2006

I'm not surprised of the costs. each episode looks like a little movie. the show has the quality and looks of high budget feature film...

the cinematography is amazing, and each episode they have a different location - unbelivable !

riversol

[18]Jul 22, 2006

Just finished watching season 2....made it through both seasons in about 6 weeks.  The show is addictive to say the least, as the characters were engaging, even if Brother Justin was evolving into a Kergan clone toward the end....hey Clancy is at his best in archetypal roles of evil. 

Also, it felt like the last few episodes got a bit rushed,....as in the whole Carnivale wanting to disperse after the discovery of "no management" then suddenly wanting to rush to Hawkins' rescue after the tale of Jonesy's healing....it could have been convincing if HBO took their time about it....

Anyways, Sofie's last minute conversion to the Dark Side was a good way to end it, cliff hanger or no!

I'll keep my eye posted for the comic book...can't wait to see the spawn/messiah that Sofie and Hawkins give birth to!

G_Threat

[19]Aug 12, 2006

I hope that they still didnt give up from making a new carnivale series or at least a mini show...

Anyone got any knew information about comic book?

G_Threat

[20]Aug 12, 2006

I hope that they still didnt give up from making a new carnivale series or at least a mini show...

Anyone got any knew information about comic book?