Carnivale Forums

HBO (ended 2005)

Shame it's been cancelled, but...

Geertvdheide

[1]May 11, 2008
    • level: 10

I just finished watching the show today, and I'm more than impressed by the incredible work the creators have done. Every episode, every camera shot and every detail just works, Carnivale is a work of pure art. Only a handfull of shows can compare to this level of storytelling.

That being said, I'm actually semi-okay with the show ending after two seasons. The ending isn't bad. Many movies end with an open ending, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Ofcourse I would have loved to see the continuation of the story, but that's just not likely any more.

I recommend every fan of Carnivale to read the backstory and mythology created by Daniel Knauf. Much of this can be read on Wikipedia, specifically on this page (general info on the show) and this one (on the mythology, a great read). It really adds to the show and can fill in some of the more confusing parts of the story.

Edited on 05/11/2008 7:04am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gratzielu

[2]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 11
    I agree. It did not end all the storylines, but it did bring some closure to consider it as a series finale.

FCBarca

[3]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 15

Just a third of the way through the 2nd and final season but have thoroughly enjoyed it. Not usually a fan of these 'period' pieces but it's really well done...Surprising that HBO did not continue on with this.

Knowing that there will be no season 3 makes me wonder which storylines will and will NOT be wrapped up by the time I finish.

Clemontine

[4]May 24, 2010
    • level: 23
    Wow, all the information in those links is amazing! Makes me even more upset that it was canceled. It had so much potential. Can you imagine how amazing the show would if it had continued! Better than Lost. *cough* I was a big fan until today, so I am quite bitter about it. That information is proof that Daniel Knauf definitely knew where he was taking the show ahead of time. As much as they may have said otherwise, I dont believe the ppl behind Lost had any clue what they were doing.

saxyroro

[5]Jun 3, 2010
    • level: 13
    I love HBO. I will never forgive them for canceling this.

Lunatikatt

[6]Feb 7, 2011
    • level: 8
    i just finished the series too... i had watched the first season then left it cause i knew it got cancelled and didnt dare to watch it end... but got it on dvd and mahn it blew me away
    i am a fan of LOST and i think Carnivale was even better really.
    Im glad it ended at least in a confrontation and its very open but it brought some kind of clousure too.. i kept thinking it was going to end without Ben confronting Alexi but that ending! man! epic!! Thanks for those links i was actually going to do some research to see if there was anything we could read for further depth on it.

Carnivale is a top quality show. Top quality shows dont get the best ratings... and thats a pity.