Carpoolers Forums

ABC (ended 2008)

How would you improve the show ?

cbminfo

[1]Oct 11, 2007
    • level: 3

Allison is my favorite. Has been since she appeared in that 70s show & again in Wilay.

I think this show is way too busy. 4 Stars, 4 co-stars, 10-30 co-co-stars, the kids in the black family. How are they ever going to explore all those kids personalities in the next 10 years ?

Marmaduke ? He should be living with one of the cavemen, not sitting around the house in his underwear.
    Are we only going to see the legs of the black guys wife ? Why bother ?

This show doesn't have time to be on the road traveling between job & home.

They really should have dumped one of the guys from the pool last week. It's too late now.

Faith not getting any air time ? That's just wrong. Last nights episode, they even added a guest star as Laird's honey. Maybe they need to hire the 'still standing' writers.. They came up with hilarious unique episodes every show. Course they only had a cast of 6 to work with.

If they're going to keep this going, it's definitely going to have to be pruned. But if you prune one or two of the families, I think you need more than 2 to use the car pool lanes.

Edited on 10/11/2007 1:16pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mpreux

[2]Oct 12, 2007
    I can tell you right now, this show will do better than Caveman and why did you suggest that the black man live with the Cavemen. What are you trying to say?

Phoenix911983

[3]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 9

Marmaduke is not the black man, Marmaduke is Fred Goss's character's son. He is the guy who stays at home with Faith Ford, and walks around in his underwear.

The black man's name is Aubrey and he is played by Jerry Minor.

Next time, please check the facts before jumping to conclusions about what other people say.

Mythic420

[4]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 4
    I think it's pretty good the way it is. Some of the things you mention are some of the things I think I like about it, weird huh.

SoylentYellow

[5]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 21

I wanted to like this one but just cant.

Maybe, after the carpoolers run over the 3 CAVEMEN while the GEICO Gecko is laughing on the side of the road, Jerry O'Connell could pull a remote control out his pocket, open a portal to an alternate Earth and the 4 carpoolers could go to a universe where CARPOOLERs and CAVEMEN never aired. Yeah, thats the ticket. Call it CARPOOLING SLIDERS....

Edited on 10/17/2007 10:32am
    Edited 6 total times.

freakydrmagiurl

[6]Oct 17, 2007
    I really like this show but whenever Jerry O'Connell took his shirt off I was beyond repulsed! I mean, I have never seen a more messed up chest in all of my life! He looked like an 80 year old man! I was so grossed out! Besides that, I really like this show and will continue to watch it.
    Edited on 10/17/2007 10:18pm

cbminfo

[7]Oct 19, 2007

Pay attention. I said MARMADUKE should move in with the cavemen.

1 he's the 40 year old KID living with mommy & daddy in his underwear. Not the black guy.

2 one less character to write lines for, and waste camera time on.

3 Cavemen might actually have a shot at completing the season now that they have a cave woman on the show.

Before that, I figured Marmaduke moves in with the cavemen, it kills 2 birds with 1 stone when they cancel cavemen.

But cavemens growing on me, I think I saw about 2 minutes of it even though I had it on the full half hour.

That's about a minute & a half more than the previous 1 or 2 episodes.

Like I said I'm only hoping this show makes it so Allison gets some air time.

Then what do they do ? they go and stick her dress in her underwear, and watch Marmaduke make a go at her.

Run Allison.. Run as far as you can from this show. Course when you look at what's going this season, guess she's lucky to be one of the employed this season. they couldn't all win a part on the big bang theory. That's some intelligent & funny writing.

The couch potato wife gag is over done.. move on..

Edited on 10/19/2007 8:37am

Mythic420

[8]Oct 23, 2007
    cbminfo wrote:

I think this show is way too busy. 4 Stars, 4 co-stars, 10-30 co-co-stars, the kids in the black family. How are they ever going to explore all those kids personalities in the next 10 years ?

Marmaduke ? He should be living with one of the cavemen, not sitting around the house in his underwear.

Sounds like you're reading way too much into it. Why would they explore each kids personality, unless it was to resolve a problem with Aubrey, in which case they'd fill in the necessary info and there you go. It's just a comedy about 4 guys all in different stages of their lives, so the show will ultimately revolve around them and not the costars you mention. The carpool is just a way to bring them together on a daily basis to interact. Also, I think Marmaduke is funny, and cavemen not so much.

empirejeff

[9]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 7
    The show is great the way it is.

Laserwolf412_XL

[10]Oct 31, 2007

Buddy...... this show is not 7th Heaven, or Home Improvement, or even Yes Dear. There is not supposed to be any depth to it. If you are looking to get emotionally attached to something go out and get a cat.

In my opinion the show is as good as it will ever be, and since it makes me laugh, I think it is pretty damn good. I like the actors, and I love the characters(especially Marmaduke who has to be one of the funniest character to hit TV in a long time).

cbminfo

[11]Nov 6, 2007
    Mythic420 wrote:
    cbminfo wrote:

Sounds like you're reading way too much into it. Why would they explore each kids personality, unless it was to resolve a problem with Aubrey,

Successful shows with kids.
    Bernie Mac. Not my cuppa tea, but the last few times I tuned in, it wasn't about Bernie Mac, but the 3 kids.

According to Jim. Wit & wisdom from a blue collar redneck.
    It hasn't been about Jim since Billi Bruno opened her mouth..

Family Matters: should have been renamed nerdy neighbor. Once Steve Urkel showed up it was all about him.

Successful shows in the past few years gravitated to following the antics of the kids with Charlie Brown parents.

Even the Huxtables.. It's actually a famous statement 'Never work with kids or animals'..
    Remember Lassie ? You might remember Timmie & Lassie, but can you name even 1 of the other characters on the show ?

Kids & animals are a death knell to older actors on the set.
    What did they do with the kids and Cindy on this show ? She was the prop punching bag for the kids.

Allison on WILAY, she was actually one of the kids. But then that show was different in that everyone was a kid. Or just barely out of school.

Yeah this show's way too busy with actors and not enough lines to go around.

Mythic420

[12]Nov 9, 2007
    But the point you're missing is that those shows are about 'families', so of course they're going to have many many eps about 'family members' and who they interact with. This show is about the interactions of these 4 guys, who just happen to have families that we get to see when they get home.

I honestly don't see this too many actors thing you're talking about. It's supposed to be a comedy show that makes you laugh, the end. I laugh, so I like it, if you don't then I'd go check out big bang theory if I were you and see if bad acting, the same boring nerd wants hot girl who would never even talk to him in real life for more than 2 seconds but can't seem to stop on the show, and over the top 'smart people' dialog spoken really fast and as frequently as possible is more your style.

cbminfo

[13]Nov 14, 2007
    I actually like both shows, but only care for Allison on this show. The scripts are too strained for funny.
    Faith is ok, but her lines and actions don't seem to have any relation to reality either.

$8.00 service charge for an ATM that only spits out $100.00 transactions.. But I did notice something after the burning car with Allisons parts..

She's back!! Caroline's gone and married. Luckily for Fez it isn't his hair coming out in clumps..

There was a little of the old Caroline when she went after Laird thru the car window.

Hopefully all this time off, will give the writers more & better ideas for situations and dialogs

cbminfo

[14]Nov 14, 2007
    Mythic420 wrote:
    But the point you're missing is that those shows are about 'families', so of course they're going to have many many eps about 'family members' and who they interact with. I honestly don't see this too many actors thing you're talking about.
    You obviously missed the 2 episodes with Aubreys family.. I have no idea how many kids he has. I'm not sure Aubrey knows how many there are. But 2 episodes there 1st & 2nd it attempted to introduce you to his family. Momma's legs, and a shoe full of kids. But Aubrey did know what to do, he pawned them off on Cindy.
    Mythic420 wrote:
    It's supposed to be a comedy show that makes you laugh, the end. I laugh, so I like it, if you don't then I'd go check out big bang theory if I were you and see if bad acting, the same boring nerd wants hot girl who would never even talk to him in real life for more than 2 seconds but can't seem to stop on the show, and over the top 'smart people' dialog spoken really fast and as frequently as possible is more your style.
    Actually BBT went into the same dangerous territory as Becker did when Penny PILLED Sheldon with the slutty drink. Instead of the virgin he'd asked for.

Megaman200798

[15]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 13
    Worse than carpoolers but both will be cnacelled

kissfreak333

[16]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 5
    carpoolers is excellent.

add more singing in the car if anything

rlhiester

[17]Jan 22, 2008
    • level: 2
    I really like this show too. Surprisingly, it's the only comedy I actually look forward to watching this season. I don't try to read too much into it... it has some pretty crazy things that actually make me laugh. And that's just what I need after sitting in my 2-hour commute. I hope ABC picks this one up - if not, I may need to go "Jericho" on them!

bjmcdonald

[18]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 5
    Yes, I agree. This is a very funny show. I truly look forward to watching it each week.

vendbien

[19]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 25

So this is the concensus (with my suggestions added):

• More singing (or air-banding) to those songs we never turn off if they happen to come on the radio.
    • More or less time for Marmaduke (I vote more, but it looks like that's where they were going - so keep it the same).
    • More Faith Ford (if they change her character into something other than a middle-aged, working-houesewife - unless it's pole dancing, in which case, lot's more).
    • Edgier scripts (last episode 2/13/08 wasn't bad... read my review - I gave it an 8..
    • Maybe more inside/confrontational stuff like Bruce McCulloch's (writer & exec. prod.) good friend and former 'Boys in the Hall' member, Scott Thompson, insidiously fighting them for parking spots and then voting them to the aux. parking lot as a Parking Committee member.
    • A better time slot with a better lead-in (which we won't know until other shows NEW episodes start up around April and the schedule returns to some sort of normalcy).

Edited on 02/15/2008 3:19pm

cbminfo

[20]Feb 17, 2008
    Well it seems as I expected. I really didn't want to see this one end.
    But it doesn't even seem worth mentioning in the lists of those that are coming back, and not coming back. Cavemen seems to be in that same category. But then I'm not really looking for any info on cavemen so don't take my word for it not coming back. I have no idea, and couldn't care less.

Really.. Who cares.. 3 hairy bachelors.

Ok Allison, waiting for your next tv job. Though now married, she may be moving on..