Carpoolers

Wheels of Fortune

Aired Tuesday 8:30 PM Feb 12, 2008 on ABC

• Unable to find a parking spot because Laird (Jerry O'Connell) is late as usual on his day to drive, the boys use, as last resort, one of many handicap spots available. Pretending to be crippled and lying to a security guard means bad karma for all.

This was a new episode against tough competition resulting in a 3.85/1.3 Nielsen as the lone program of the night with a 9:30 pm start. That's unfortunate because this was the kind of show we had hoped for when this series first premiered. The premise of superficial bonding due to carpooling, and the consequences when big problems arise was never more apparent than in this installment. The 'poolers take sides against one another; denounce one another for life; break-up, make-up and then resolve all issues after experiencing karma's wrath (and a parking commission's ruling) while AC/DC's Back in Black leads us in and takes us out of this episode. Throw in a new job for (and the 'parallel universe' wisdom of) Marmaduke and the Parking Committee's ruling after a (mockingly) tear-jerking appeal by the 'poolers, and this show could have had a real chance of catching and holding an audience - and getting renewed - which probably won't happen.