Carter Country

ABC (ended 1979)

PikeBishop

Carter Country Fan Reviews (3)

6.1
  • I have moved to carter county, TN. Even though the show was about Carter county georgia it is pretty close to what it is like living here. If you lived here you can relate to the show. I wish the show was on even reruns would be nice.

7.6
    This is as close as it gets. The laughs keep coming as you watch this show. The characters play the part well. It is not sterotyping if it is close to the truth. I was living in New Hampshire when this show previewd and was disapointed when it was removed. The hit show Andy griffith of mayberry is still the hit show here in carter county TN. I have lived here 17 years and love the place but it is close as you get to carter country as it gets. For instance During the xmas parade there was a float in it from the fish and game department. It had there robotoc deer they use to get poachers with dressed as rudolf the red nosed reindeer and you could see the bullet holes in it . It was funny as heck, of course the kids did not think it was funny.
  • I've been trying to remember what the name of this show was for a LONG time. I only figured it out after I read something about Victor French leaving Little House on the Prairie temporarily to star in his own show...

I've been trying to remember what the name of this show was for a LONG time. I only figured it out after I read something about Victor French leaving Little House on the Prairie temporarily to star in his own show, Carter Country. At that point it clicked and I remembered it.

This show was already old by the time I saw it as a kid in syndication. It came on Sundays and since back then there was absolutely nothing to watch on Sundays, it caught my attention and for whatever reason, I really liked it.

Other than the basic premise, I can't remember much about it. Up until now I could only recall Victor French's character (although I didn't know it was him) and the black guy from Matlock, whose name I still haven't bothered to learn.

Anyway, it was a good show but perhaps the powers that be thought it was a little too racy for it's time.
  • Classic comedy

6.2
    Carter Country was a funny, well-written sit-com that just never took off. It was a sitcom that capitalized on then President Jimmy Carter's name and location. It’s the story of the small town Sheriff’s department of Clinton Corners, Georgia. Carter Country was sort of a comical version of In the Heat of the Night, and Barney Miller, all rolled up and dished out once a week. Mayor Teddy Burnside wants to modernize his Sheriff’s office so he goes in search of “New Blood”. He finds a college-educated black man working on the New York City Police Department, and hires him. The rest of the shows are the great interaction between the old Sheriff, stuck in his old ways, and the new Deputy, with new ideas. The comedy comes when we see how the rest of the department gets along with the change. Curtis Baker played by Keene Holliday, has to adjust to the new conditions, and the townsfolk, while under the watchful eye of the Police Chief Roy Mobey, played by the late Victor French. I found this show unforgettable, with some of the funniest characters in TV. I can still hear Mayor Burnside telling Roy to “Handle-it, Handle-it”.