Castle

A Chill Goes Through Her Veins

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Apr 06, 2009 on ABC

• The show just elevated itself!

After seeing that the show "Castle" had been renewed for another season, I thought I'd check it out, since most scripted shows were being canceled.

In general, the show has a light feel, and is "old school" in its character interactions and story lines (no excessive violence, no flashiness, no csi stuff). In a way, this is refreshing.

But after 4 episodes, it was starting to feel a little bit trite. I'm glad I kept going, because this episode (#5) has been the best one so far.

The tone is more serious. The murder mystery is interesting, having taken place years ago, and to watch them try to fit the missing pieces together since they already know the endpoint.

There is a poignant character backstory that is fleshed out towards the end, and this also hints at a larger story arc, or that thing "in the background" that will be a thread throughout the show (though probably only now and then) and which hints at a greater resolution of a fundamental mystery.

This episode felt less trite, more interesting, more warm and human, than the previous episodes, with the promise of future depth. I hope this continues!
ABC