Castle

A Death in the Family

Aired Monday 10:00 PM May 11, 2009 on ABC

• A very good ending for the season, leaving us wondering about the two protagonists' personal relationship in the future, and putting in a nice family touch at the same time.

One of the best Castle epis and a more than decent season finale - although much too quick, I understand the season ends somewhere around the middle of May but they could've carried the show a few episodes further in my opinion. However, the cliffhanger ending ensures we are getting a second helping, so no complaints there! The execs made a wise decision renewing Castle, it's just about the only exciting, original and well-done police show out there right now.

The story is about a plastic surgeon, who is found executed mob-style in his car. The reason for a contract being put out on him was that he helped the government in a witness protection program case, by performing plastic surgery to change an ex-mobster's identity. The mob family involved desperarely wanted to track down the witness, so they tortured and killed the surgeon to get that information. While the solving of the case proceeds Beckett pulls in a favour from her ex-boyfriend, the FBI agent. It all bounces back on them however, when the mob follows them and shoots at the witness and Beckett's ex. She ends up at the hospital, feeling guilty and keeping him company.

In the meantime Castle does the unthinkable, and probes into Beckett's mother's murder case. Beckett gets really pissed off and tells him to stop, but when did he ever listen to her? A forensic pathologist who is his friend discovers that the case wasn't a random stabbing after all, but part of a series of similar murders that were tossed aside at the time by the coroner and the police. Should he tell her and risk ending his collaboration with her forever, or should he keep his investigation to himself? His mom proves to be wiser than she seems, when she tells him Beckett needs to know regardless. And, of course, he chooses to do the right thing in the end. So with Beckett seeming to re-bond with her ex, and Castle about to do something that will certainly hurt and anger her very much, does he really stand a chance with her after that? We'll just have to wait and see!!

A very good ending for the season, leaving us wondering about the two protagonists' personal relationship in the future, and putting in a nice family touch at the same time, with Alexis going to the prom, her grandmother helping her pick the dress, and her father being anxious about how fast she grows up. Well done and can't wait for next season!