A Castle Community
ABC (ended 2016)

Castle's first Season 7 twist is a big one.

Creator Andrew W. Marlowe will pass the showrunner torch to executive producer David Amann for the upcoming season, TV.com has learned. Although Amann will be the primary showrunner, Marlowe will maintain a day-to-day presence on the series while also developing new projects as part of his overall deal with ABC Studios.

"Over the past four seasons, David has proven himself to be a tremendous leader and a great steward of our show's unique voice," Marlowe said in a statement. "I'm excited to continue our creative collaboration as he assumes his new responsibilities."

The transition comes at a crucial point for the ABC procedural drama. In the Season 6 finale, longtime lovebirds Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) and Kate Beckett (Stana Katic) had their wedding day ruined when Castle was run off the road by a mysterious person driving an SUV. The closing shot featured Castle's car in flames, while the whereabouts of the mystery writer were unknown.

Prior to joining the Castle team in 2010, Amann worked on such shows as Without a TraceCrossing Jordan, and The X-Files.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/16/2016

Season 8 : Episode 22

28 Comments
Comments (28)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
If the Castle is dead "cliffhanger" was the best this guy could do for a season finale, then he needs to step down.
Flag
Well if the plot and cliffhanger for this season was the work of Marlowe then it's about time he passes on the torch. That was quite the letdown.
Flag
maybe this new guy will make the show good again, let's face it, it's just not as good as it used to be and has almost become a over soapy joke.. and after having a cliffhanger trying to have people actually believe Castle is dead was a total BS move. show's just not as good as it was.
Flag
oh he's not a new guy - he's the best writer they have - and quite good!
Flag
I know you keep saying that, but an excellent writer does not necessarily make a stellar showrunner. The fact that every plot point on the show happened the previous season on Bones means there aren't any great writers on Castle anymore. If you call Amann the best writer they have, you sort of need to put it in context. I'm a fan of all the regular cast, but recently the show has been written way below their talents.
Flag
yeah, that's exactly why they needed a new showrunner - thnx for making my point for me.
Flag
I think you're missing my point.
Flag
i stand by what i said - he's the best writer on the show - he has the experience just imdb him - and personally i prefer to have the best writer plotting the season and being the showrunner. and like the article said Marlowe is not leaving anyways. i think Amann was great when he wrote for The X-Files and his eps of Castle are even better. i don't watch Bones so sorry you feel like Castle ripped off their storylines but i enjoy the show for what it is - a fun 40 mins with characters i like. it's not GoT or Breaking Bad, it's just a fun, light show to watch, kind of like Burn Notice was. Marlowe hardly ever wrote an ep anyways. Amann is gonna be great!
Flag
And I stand by what I said, so it's a wash. I would just point out that there have been many excellent writers promoted to showrunner status, but not all of them are successful - the Walking Dead is just one recent example. I never said anything about it being a superstar drama like GoT or Breaking Bad or Justify. Far from it. I consider it a casual watch, much like a summer read. However, within that framework, I expect a certain level of consistent quality.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
but he's the new showrunner, i'm assuming that means he has more of a say than just being a writer
Flag
This is great news as David Amann (That 70's Show ep from this season) is easily the best writer (well along with David Grae) on the show. Marlowe's stuff has been sappy and predictable since season 4 so I don't see how this can be seen by fans as anything other than good news. Kind of like when the best writer on Doctor Who - Steven Moffat - took over from Russel T. Davis. I'm really looking forward to this season of Castle now!
Flag
I think it is time to put the show to rest. The last two seasons weren't that good, Fillion tried to back out last season and now this. I think just to a two episode finale and be done with it. Both Fillion and Katic are phenomenal and should move on to other projects.
Flag
Didn't Fillion just ask for a 4-day work week?
Flag
Aye, he was struggling to fit in his schedule with the work days and tried to negotiate 1 less day of shooting, for longer hours of shooting on those days as I understand it.
Flag
That doesn't strike me as big news if the guy is still going to be around. Hope the new fella gets the show back on course.
Flag
he's easily their best writer so this is actually great news!
Flag
Listen, don't get me wrong. Nathan Fillion is one of my favorite actors and I've loved Stana Katic forever. Both are amazing.

But... the show has been going on for a while now. It's a matter of time before it becomes a cliched shadow of its former self.

Shows typically start to go stale between seasons 3-5. There are obvious exceptions and Castle is still going strong... but eventually it's going to get lame or predictable.

Personally I think they should end it soon. The bonus would be that both actors would be free to do other things.
Flag
Yeah its a goofy show but the goofy factor last season was kinda too much. I'd be happy if the next season was the last so they can go out on a high.
Flag
Ah, the late seasons behind-the-camera shuffle, when everyone's priority shifts to professional development and resume padding. Give it another year and Alexis will be directing.
Flag
Molly Quinn already has a couple of Producer credits under her belt, so who knows she might take to the directing thing as well
Flag
If this site did an article on the shows with the most alumni acting as showrunners on current series, I imagine The X-Files would be among the top five, if not higher. At least this article didn't bypass everything David Amann has done in the last decade and a half and say "Amann was previously a producer on The X-Files."

If Andrew Marlowe is still going to be involved in the day-to-day operations of Castle, what's the point of this announcement other than to be able to pass the buck if season 7 sucks? Who would know the degree of involvement he has unless his title changes from executive producer to executive consultant or something?
Flag
SVU or SUV??? :D!
Flag
Whoops. Fixed, thank you!
Flag
Could do with a bit of a shake up, it feels like the show is becoming a little tired/stale, not to the levels of Bones which is going downhill drastically but definitely enough that it's not as enjoyable as it used to be.
Flag
I completely agree about both shows. Hopefully the cliffhangers of each show will be catalysts for some actually INTERESTING episodes next season.
Flag
Haven't finished this season of Bones yet, it's become a B- show to watch when we want something to send us to sleep, encouraging to know it actually ends on a cliffhanger! :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members