A Castle Community
ABC (ended 2016)

The Derrick Storm novels penned by Castle's title character may soon be getting their own standalone series.

According to Variety, ABC is developing a show based on Richard Castle's (Nathan Fillion) best-selling mystery books, which have also been published in real life. Gregory Poirier (Missing) is writing the pilot and executive-producing with Castle creator Andrew Marlowe (who announced this summer that he's stepping down as primary showrunner) and Marlowe's wife, Terri Edda Miller. 

Derrick Storm, the hero of the novels, is a spy who helps the CIA with secret missions. 

Castle kicks off Season 7 on Monday, September 29 at 10pm on ABC.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/16/2016

Season 8 : Episode 22

42 Comments
Comments (42)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think it's a great idea :)
Flag
I can't wait! Hope this series does as well as Castle.
Flag
It's a better idea than the How I met your dad show!!
Flag
So meta.
Flag
So a fictional character from a series of real books. by a fictional author in a fictional tv show, is going to get his own fictional tv show. Gotta Love it.
Flag
That's a totally bad idea.
Flag
Looking at those titles, they're gonna run out of useable storm puns quickly.
Flag
John Sandford is still going strong with variations on "prey"....
Flag
Oh, somehow I doubt that....

... either because the show won't survive that long or because they will come up with some really crazy ones..
Flag
But still my webcomic about a stationary worm won't get adapted. Cruel world.
Flag
Now we just need Derrick Storm to write Nathan Fillion fiction and complete the circle...
Flag
Well, in the Nikki Heat books the Took character mentions that "Nathan" would be a good choice to play him in a movie adaptation of an article he wrote about Nikki Heat. Round and round and round in a circle game.
Flag
Well, these books were never intended to truly be best sellers. They were a marketing gimmick for the show – and a very effective one. But, with the right creative team, this could be a very interesting show.

I will certainly give it a shot.
Flag
Eh. I was on a plane one time and my kindle died, the guy next to me had one of these books and it wasn't good at all. If these were Castle's real books he would be self publishing on Amazon and living in a tenement.
Flag
Well, I haven't read the Derrick Storm books but I've read all the Nikki Heats, and while they aren't great literature they are a reasonable summer read which is sort of the point. I've read a lot worse from "real" writers.
Flag
Fictional characters created by other fictional characters getting their own show...ok. Can't wait for the Cosmic Cow pilot
Flag
I hope they do a crossover where Storm meets the actor Nathan Fillion on the set of Castle.
Flag
So ABC just completely sucks now. This is the best idea they can come up with a (loose) spin off of a waaaaay past its prime procedural. It IS the new NBC. Welcome to the basement ABC!
Flag
Be thankful they didn't try to cross Frozen Heat with Frozen.
Flag
We had a sort of Mickey Mouse Comic-Con here in Phoenix this summer and we're tempted to go. But then we looked at the itenerary online and the major attraction was paid autographing. The two most expensive were Nation Fillion and Adam West at 80 bucks a pop. (Mark Sheppard, our own Crowley was only 40). My wife had a bad experience with Adam West when she was an assistent director--seemed he was a bit of an entitled prick, and she declined. Anyway, we decided it wasn't worth it and didn't go, so I didn't get to pay 80 books to get my fictitious Rick Castle novel signed by it's fictitious author--wonder if he'd have charged double for that--him being fictitious and all.
Flag
Batman's a prick?No wonder The Joker hates him! ;p
I heard stories about actors who play heroes and turn out to be jerks but actors who play villains turn out to be down to earth.Go figure.I hope Stephen Amell is as nice as he seems.
Flag
Holy $hit, there's someone out there that would pay THAT much...and for Adam West who IS a complete prick(I wouldn't pay that much to take home). What has the world come to?!
Flag
Sellers market. Fanboys of the '60s Batman have a limited number of options to get autographs from. (And I've heard stories about Burt Ward being a prick too.)
Flag
He'll always be Robinson Crusoe on Mars to me.
Flag
Mmmm meta^meta I guess... who's gonna play the main meta-character?
Flag
So, just to be clear-
A fictional character, originally written by a fictional author, is getting a show based on actual books, written by someone who uses the pen name of the fictional author, but Gregory Poirier is writing the pilot instead of the writer who uses the fictional authors name.

Er...OK...I guess...

I'm sure I've seen this plot on a Murder She Wrote rerun
Flag
That sounds like a bad episode of The Twilight Zone.
Flag
But we know how it ends! The Pilot of Castle told us how it ended... Gosh, Castle, SPOILER ALERT next time.

But seriously, haha, this might either be a train wreck... or awesome. I guess we'll see.
Flag
Except Derek Storm faked his own death :P
Flag
So did Sherlock Holmes, and HE gets a show.
Flag
Ouroboros!
Flag
Much as I do love Castle, this sounds pretty ridiculous and further solidifies my belief ABC is grasping at straws at this point.
Flag
Meh. It's still at least 8 levels above CSI: Cyber.
Flag
CSI: Cyber sounds pretty god awful, but I still like a bunch of the cast listing, so I think I'll at least give it a chance, but with a HUGE amount of apprehension.
Flag
I would rather see Nikki Heat but i guess that is who Becket is so kind redundant.
Flag
Worst thing about the Nikki Heat books is the lack of physical descriptions of most of the characters. But of course we know Heat is Beckett and Rook is Castle, and Raley an Ochoa are Ryan and Esposito etc. so it really doesn't matter.

Best thing about the books: Detective Malcolm and Detective Reynolds.
Flag
Agree. Loved Lauren Prepon's Nikki Heat in the episode of her studying Beckett.
Flag
Also with Nikki Heat you get Jameson Rook who is Richard Castle.
Flag
Hah! I just got it. Rook = Castle. Chess! Yeah, I'm slow.
Flag
Don't you mean 10pm for the premier of season 7?
Flag
Staff
haha yep, will fix. Thanks!
Flag
You're welcome.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members