A Castle Community
ABC (ended 2016)

The would-be blessed union between Castle's Katherine Beckett and Richard Castle did not go off without a hitch in the Season 6 finale.

In fact, there were numerous hitches. For starters, when Beckett (Stana Katic) and Castle (Nathan Fillion) went to apply for their marriage licenses, they were both shocked to learn that Beckett was already married! As it turned out, Beckett had married her con-man ex Rogan O'Leary (guest star Eddie McClintock) 15 years prior, during a drunken trip to Vegas. But when Beckett made a trip upstate to get Rogan to sign a "dissolution of marriage" agreement, things got even worse. 

Not only was Rogan kidnapped by a group of thugs, but the venue for the wedding burned down, Ryan's tux didn't fit and Beckett's wedding dress was destroyed in an apartment flood. But Castle refused to let Beckett get too down, and reminded her that fairy-tales are all about overcoming the obstacles in order to get to a happy ending.

And even though Rogan's kidnapping got more and more convoluted (he blackmailed a pastor with some photos but somehow got mixed up with a notorious mobster who was trying to lay low), Beckett and Castle eventually saved Rogan, convinced him to sign the document, and headed back to the Hamptons for their newly relocated wedding.

But only one of them made it to the ceremony. After calling Beckett and telling her he was 20 minutes away, Castle was seemingly run off the road by some mysterious men in a black SUV. When Beckett got the call and arrived on the scene, all she saw through her teary eyes is Castle's car in flames.

So, will Castle make it? Who were those goons in the SUV? And will Beckett and Castle ever get their happy ending? We took all our "burning" questions to series creator and executive producer Andrew W. Marlowe. Plus: What's the real reason Beckett got a new wedding dress?

Even before the episode, some fans were vocally upset about Beckett not knowing she was already married. What went into that choice?

It was just an obstacle to put in the way of them getting married. It's not like we're playing a love triangle or anything. In no way does it minimize how seriously Beckett takes [the relationship with Castle.] Castle is a very flawed character, and Beckett has always had the moral upper hand. This allows her to be a little bit more human in his eyes. I think it's very endearing to him. He's charmed by it, and I think it's difficult going into a relationship with somebody who's a little too perfect.

Because of that set-up, a lot of this episode was light and fun, which was a bit of a departure from your recent more dramatic finales.

Before we could entertain the wedding and getting Rick and Kate together, we wanted to close out the Bracken arc. We wanted that sense of justice for Beckett's character so that she can move forward into her new phase of life completely unfettered. We wanted to do something a little Coen Brothers and just have a good time with it. Of course, [we knew] the whole time that we'd have a twist at the end. With the twist, we've got what we think is some great, fun, compelling storytelling for the start of next year, and this platforms pretty well where we want to go.

But even though Castle and Beckett overcame their fairy-tale obstacles, you didn't give them their happy ending! Did you purposely want to challenge the notion of our heroes getting what they want?

I think this is very much to challenge that. The story that we're telling with their relationship isn't over. It's going to get deeper. It's going to get more interesting, and there are still a couple of things that need to be overcome. This is not one of those things where suddenly one of them starts feeling a different way [or] one of those things where an old lover shows up. This is something else entirely, and we're hoping people take the ride. If they continue their investment, it'll pay off. I do know that some fans will feel robbed, they'll feel betrayed. But hopefully they'll stay with us to see how we're going to resolve it.

What can you tell us about the people in the black SUV? Are they related to Bracken or the mobsters we met in this episode? Or is it a whole new mystery?

I'm comfortable saying those are the questions that we like to leave people with. We feel like [this mystery] has some interesting answers, and are very excited to get back to it in the fall. We're sorry that people have to wait that long for the resolution, but we're excited about where we are going.

Castle's burning car is a pretty bleak image. Can you give us some hope for his survival?

I think we know what the title of the show is.

Speaking of upset fans, did the internet outrage about Beckett's original wedding dress play into it being destroyed, or was it just another obstacle to overcome?

It was a bit of both. We knew the original dress was pretty divisive when we read the comments, and it was our way of honoring how the fans felt. But it's also about complicating the journey along the way and getting Beckett to that emotional point of, "What else could go wrong?" and having Castle be the one to give her faith. When she starts to doubt it, it allows him to come and hold her up the way people who are in committed relationships take turns holding each other up. And we also loved the image of the wedding dress on the autopsy table in the morgue. [Laughs]

This season ended the Johanna Beckett murder case, which has been a big narrative engine. What are you thinking about for Season 7?

The relationship has always been the engine. These two people are in a strong committed relationship that is certainly being challenged at this moment, but we're looking to open up new mythology, to bring in some new elements that we think will give the characters plenty to talk about.

Is this new mythology related to whoever was driving that SUV?

Yeah. I think it's safe to assume that this event has something to do with the mythology that we'll be opening up in the new season.

So, is a happy ending still in Castle and Beckett's future?

That's what I believe. They've had a great deal of happiness over the last several seasons, and I think that there is more to come. Will there be challenges? Yeah, all relationships are challenged, and we're hoping to break some new ground when we come back next season, but we're very excited about it. We know that there's a cost to ending a season this way. We know that people are looking for that [wedding] moment, and that's a moment that we're going to get to. But there's still some storytelling that we have to get through before we get there.

What did you think of the Castle finale? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/16/2016

Season 8 : Episode 22

60 Comments
Comments (60)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Thanks to the great spell caster Prophet Osaze,My husband of 10 year seek for divorce wanting to leave me and my kids,But a friend could not stand that and introduced my to this great man who is my helper today.After contacting Prophet Osaze and spell been casted immediately after 24hours,my husband came back home pleading for my forgiveness and promise not to ever leave me and the kids for ever.Save your marriage today instead of seeking Divorce,contact him via email:spirituallove @ hotmail . com
Flag
I expect the writers will be working long hours writing a circular plot to explain the "faked" marriage to Brogan, and how and why Jeremy Hunt (aka Castle's dad) had to "rescue" him from the wedding, where someone intended to assassinate him, because he inadvertently wrote the truth behind some international intrigue in his latest book.... or just that he pissed off the wrong guy in Paris or by taking down a Mob Enforcer
Flag
I loved it.
Flag
I was a bit upset at the ending of season 6 because I was so looking forward to Rick and Kate getting married although I do understand why it had to end the way it did. But whether they get married or not is not the most important to me; what matters more is that these two characters DO NOT FALL OUT OF LOVE. They have gone through a lot and it's time they are given a chance of pure happiness - a grand and peaceful wedding. They can solve crimes together as husband and wife, just like Jonathan and Jennifer Hart in late 70s and early 80s. Please do not put their love affair in the background; rather it should be the backbone of every episode to come. In this day and age, when wars, natural disasters, and hideous crimes are always in the news, we deserve to watch something that makes us forget reality, albeit only for an hour a week, but Castle is one show that in spite of all these, love and romance are still very much real!
Flag
The continuing obstacles to Kate & Castle's wedding is overkill and seems contrived. The emergence of Kate's ex was a stretch, considering that before employment by the NYPD, as well as the FBI, an existing husband would need to clear a security investigation.
Let them get married and then kidnap Castle if you're stumped for a plot device. I am looking forward to next season, though. Interesting characters, clever plots, and intelligent dialogue are a TV rarity.
Flag
Well i cant wait for Season 7 I sense more conspiracy eps :P

I do see this as a big dent in the wedding but hey not like it isnt going to happen. maybe series finale it would happen and the writers are dragging it out... mmm who knows although 7 seasons is a odd amount.
Flag
I was so bothered by the "Beckett is already married" plot line that I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the episode.
At the beginning of this season, Beckett was working on a federal task force with the attorney general's office. An extensive and thorough background check would have been done. Her "husband" had a record. This would have been addressed as a security concern. Honestly, just her stating she had never been married with public records stating otherwise would have been a red flag discrepancy that would have needed to be resolved. The records obviously weren't buried if a clerk at City Hall could easily reference them.
I do understand that it is television and there must be some "suspension of disbelief." But, to me this was common sense.
Flag
yeah big plot hole if you ask me... and in the 22nd episode of this season where they looking for that tape... in her apartment.. wasnt her apartment on fire at some stage destroying would be evidence such as the note book richard found? (considering the tape was in the elepants on her desk).

I didnt expect the season finale to end like this especialy with FB pages showing that yes they married (Kate Castle etc)...

Season 7 is going to be big i grant you that though...
Flag
The problem I have with the season ending is not with the not-gone-through-wedding. It is not even with the silly plot line of Kate's first marriage. It is with the cliffhanger. A cliffhanger is imho something to wonder about over the summer: "will he survive?", "will she say yes?", "is she pregnant?" ... something like this. But like Marlowe said "Look, what the title of the show is ...". It is simply ridiculous to think that Castle is dead. So it's not a cliffhanger! That ending just makes me extremely cranky!
Flag
I'm a little peeved that they didn't end this season with the wedding, as it's been the through-arc of the whole season. Wrapping up Kate's mom's murderer story line led me to believe this would be some silly hijinks but at the end an impromptu improbable and gorgeous day for them. I don't need a cliffhanger to return to this show; I need the two main characters. And giving the finale a fake death (obviously Castle isn't dead) just seems like a lazy way to try to bring drama.
Flag
I loved it, and the cliffhanger was kinda perfect for me...so sad, but it makes me want the next season even more!
And c'mon, true Castle fans have nothing to complain about here...saying Kate's story was cliché and lazy? Seriously?
Flag
And, oh yeah, I forgot, Hodgins and Angela's wedding on Bones.
Flag
Seriously, you haven't seen this exact plot on many TV shows before? I may be a lot older, but I remember this same story in shows from the 70's, 80's and 90's.
Flag
Loved the ending so many possibilities Brackens friends, Triple X K , someone from Castle's fathers past, maybe Martha's past or Beckets. Could be merely a ramson,after all Castle is rich.
Flag
The Black SUV My money is on his dad
Flag
Same here, but I think he had to "disappear, because of someone who escaped when he rescued Alexis from Paris. I think his dad found out someone intended to take him out during the ceremony
Flag
The excuse about a "new mythology" is BS. What you really mean is that the writers/producers couldn't think of anything more creative than an "out-of-the-blue" abduction at the last minute, a juvenile and cheap way to "build tension" for next year. Please! This is so shoddy it smells of stale fish. Your fans (who may become less and less with this kind of nonsense) expect better. Creative writing brings these years to a temporary conclusion by having the much awaited wedding, THEN bring on a new set of "mythologies" to the now married couple. And please do not cheapen the characters or us by having the wedding take place at the court house with only the immediate family and friends in attendance. Rick and Kate deserve better. After this last episode, I (and others like me) may or may not be back. Unless we continue to LIKE and enjoy the show, which at the moment I DO NOT, maybe I will go back to Monday Night Football.
Flag
I would've liked to have seen the happy ending but I don't mind if there's still more to be said first... i'm just glad there's more Castle to look forward to in the future. I have faith in the team to create another interesting and fun season.
Flag
First, let me say that Castle is one of my favorite shows. But I guess even Andrew Marlowe can screw up royally. This was probably the worst episode of Castle ever written. Hackneyed, clichéd with a totally ridiculous ending. Why Marlowe felt compelled to write a cliff-hanger this ludicrous is beyond understanding, unless he has a real envy of Downton Abbey. The story itself has been done many times before and up until the ending was saved only by the acting of Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic and the rest of the cast, except for Eddie McClintock, of course, who was his usual scenery-chewing self. I have never had it reasonably explained to me by anyone, and I know a few screen writers, why every dramatic show and some comedies, as well, find it necessary to have a cliff-hanger season after season. Are they so insecure of their show's popularity they have to use such an artifice to get fans back? I feel sorry for all the fans of Castle, myself included, that Marlowe has so little faith in them. As to the previous comment, I think the outrage the fans feel about this episode reflects their commitment to the show and their huge disappointment that Marlowe had to take this road. That doesn't mean they will give up on the show, they will be back, I will be back, in the hopes that we will never have to put up with such shoddy plotting and writing again on, as I said, one of our favorite shows.
More+
Flag
OK--I knew the wedding would not happen--that's just how predictable the show has become. Yet I had hoped that perhaps they would run off and elope or something but Nooooo--we get instead a contrived and overly used cliff-hanger. Why? Well my personal opinion is not for some new mythology but more to the feeling I get that they are bored! Simple--I watch their live q&as and I got to say even Nathan appears bored. I remember the excitement at their 100th episode party--especially Nathan as he has been disappointed with previous series he starred in. Now that excitement seems to be gone. 6 seasons is awesome for any TV series but especially for a show like this one. Is Marlowe not paying attention as Castle wins the Peoples Choice yr after yr. This nonsense was not needed--a wedding would not have ended the show--no wedding might bring you guys some unpleasant Fall numbers unless you really come up with a good mythology. Let me help with that--first--begin with stopping the dumbing down and scary cat Castle is suddenly afflicted with. There are other cast members who all do such a great job I think fans would love a deeper look--it maybe to late for that but if you somehow manage to pull a rabbit out the hat--perhaps you could explore the above options. Last but not least--if next season is not better than this one was--it will indeed put the lie to the "mythology" So if your bored writers--ask for help. I love this show and Nathon and I want it go out on a high note--make that your mythology.
More +
Flag
Amen!
Flag
Are a few vows really so important that fans are willing to give up on the entire show just because it didn't happen? I'm... shocked at the outrage over this, and really confused. No, we know Castle isn't dead, but isn't the rest of the mystery big enough for people to wonder what happened? I mean, it is for me... Who did it? Why? What for? How badly hurt is he? What about this incident could possibly postpone the wedding beyond just a rescue?

I'm excited for the next chapter of Castle now that Beckett's personal arc is over. As far as I'm concerned, I hope the next 6 seasons are a Castle-centric arc, and that we see a wedding, babies, and lots of Caskett in the future.
Flag
Totally there with you. It was an excellent ending. While, no, the marriage thing wasn't original, it was still fun. And I like cliff hangers. I think they give me a sense of urgency to come back, even though I would have had it without the cliff hanger.
Flag
I don't care for the mistery, I am not intrigued or anything, just angry, We have spent many episodes planning a wedding and I wanted to see it. I am not going to give up the entire show but I think the producers royally screwed it, being unconsiderate and frankly rude with their fans. This poor episode with a terrible cliffhanger is not a good way to end a season. It sucked.
Flag
I was expecting something to happen just after the wedding or during the honeymoon but I guess this is also possible although the burning car would make you think Castle is dead, but the smart viewers, yes writers they exist!!, will know he won't be harmed because he is the lead character.
I hope they will bring back James Brolin as Castles father who will then work with Beckett to find his son. I imagine Beckett in a strong black leather jump suite with some big guns in her hands... oh wait... that's my fantasy... but I still hope she will kick someones ass and then get married and solve some murder during their honeymoon.
Flag
Have you been watching the Spirit again? :)
Flag
nope, don't know that show.
Flag
I liked that the finale was not really serious with a lot of plot points all coming to a close at once. The lighter episodes of Castle are what make the show good! The flow of the episode was good if a little bit laughable; I kept thinking "ok, what's going to happen next?"
Flag
I agree! Although the twist ending was rather dark and heavy considering how light and comedic the overall episode was played.
Flag
I love this show, since its first episode I was hooked, the chemistry between Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic is amazing and the show one of the best of its gender, but the whole "Beckett was married and she didn't know" thing is just cheap, lazy and cliche writing, just like the ending, Castle is not dead (obviously), they just postponed the wedding for another season.
Flag
Yes it s a could be about Castle s father to bring it back at the end for the True Wedding.
As a cliff it is the worst ever in the series and and one of the worst in TV. As soon as he picked up the phone and said he ll be here in 20 we knew he was doomed.
Flag
Well It could be Braken or the Mobster looking for vengeance. But Marlow said that the Bracken's arc was over and the mobster scene last something like 2 minutes he doesn't seem important enough.
It could be the 3 Xk after all he is still ind the wind.
Or it could be related to Castle's father. And I think we should look there.
Of course Castle is not dead if he was there wouldn't be a 7 season, I think he is not even hurt or not really.
Well that will be 5 ish long month...
Flag
I was thinking it was related to either Bracken; somebody going after Castle due to his father or 3XK related. I mean not only do I think he is still alive, but he has a cult of followers.
Flag
Disappointing. Did we really need a cliff hanger? Don't know why they couldn't let us enjoy what we've been waiting for. A Castle/Beckett wedding!!
Flag
I didn't like it at all. I agree with @edwinsanchez11, it felt like a cheap soap opera cliff hangar. I have had time to sleep on it, and it still feels that way.
having said that, it never entered my mind it might be 3XK. I was thinking it had something to do with his father, which seems hookey. His father is suppose to be a world class spy who avoided being found, killed or captured for 30 plus years, so to have him in another "pickle" just a year after meeting Castle would be stupid. Are we suppose to believe he suddenly needs help to do things? What is next, he needs help remembering his medications?
But 3XK, that may be the only way I would keep watching next year. The whole they're getting married/oh no he's dead? cliffhanger is rather an insult if it is anything less than 3XK, and I thank the people who commented below for that idea, I didn't think of it either. I was just about ready to pull the plug on watching anymore. But I will at least give the season opener a shot now, just to see if its him.
Flag
I think the time has come for the writers to wrap things up. Obviously, they are trying to think of something to replace the whole conspiracy about the murder of Becket's mom, but it looks very contrived at this point. Yes, there might be a good idea behind Castle's disappearance, but I think everyone is already tired of waiting for Castle and Beckett to tie the knot, and it looks like we will be back to wedding planning in season seven - thanks, but no thanks.

If this is what the writers think makes the show interesting, they are completely wrong. And besides, seven seasons is a very decent run, you don't have to push it further. The only thing you get if you keep milking the story is to dilute quality and put a stain on all the good things you've made. As some people said before me, this season was objectively inferior to the other five, so don't spoil it further. I wish Castle to end while it's still entertaining, not because it became so bad that no one wanted to watch it anymore.
Flag
And btw: Yes, I do feel robbed. I hope there is a worthy explanation at the beginning of next season. I already felt like this season was not nearly as good as any before (What was with the "I got nothing" from Castle in what felt like every second episode?? That's just lazy from the writers!!!) and then they also stole this moment fans have been waiting for, for the past 2(!) years. That's 24 monts. That's 104 weeks. That's frickin' 720 days!!! (approximately)
Flag
I thought it could be his father, warning him about someone trying to harm him and/or Beckett. Because we never actually saw that SUV run him down the road. Since he was not in the car (obviously) he was either abducted in that SUV or he went with whoever was driving it willingly and his car was destroyed to buy them some time.
Flag
becket got justice for her mother killer now castle has to deal with 3XK I think he was in the suv
Flag
At least he promises to eventually get to a "wedding moment."
Flag
I think the ending lacked emotion. I mean when becket was shot two or three season ago, it was heart pounding. Everybody went NOooooo.....and some forgot to breath...lol. This felt like hispanic soap opera (Telenovela) ending. I mean come on, burning car, no body? This could have been played out a lot better than the sequence of event we saw.
Flag
I hate cliffhangers. It's like they think we won't come back and watch next season if they give us closure in the finale. Criminal Minds hasn't had a cliffhanger the last two years. I like going into the summer with a feeling that the characters I like are in a good place. We all know Castle is ok. You can't have a show called Castle without Castle.
Flag
What a joke of a season ender. I used to love Castle, but now the "Mondays at 10" time slot has opened in my schedule for next fall. Maybe I will re-watch episodes of Firefly instead.

Why didn't Beckett just whip out her badge when the bikers threatened her? Sure she might not have had legal jurisdiction for any arrests, but she could still keep Castle from getting punched and robbed. Very out of character for the tough as nails NYPD detective who has faced down mobsters, serial killers and dirty senators. Why hide the fact that she was married to Brogan from his girlfriend? Explain it to her to get her to help find Brogan. Explain it to everyone in that little crooked hamlet. Idiots.

Plus the whole wedding fiasco's. What is this a rom-com? I half expected Katherine Heigl to show up in one of her 27 dresses, or Melissa MCarthy to burp her way on to the set.
Flag
That ending what a joke i know ppl are pissed i am going to go with either 3XK or castles dad needed him for some blah blah reason just plz dont tell me we have to wait another 23 episodes for them to get married again all i know is you better give ppl one hell of a reason next season why they couldn't get married
Flag
Have the weirdest feeling that Pi is involved--or else why was the character introduced in the first place?
Flag
I guess he was introduced to develop Alexis' character and give her something to do on the show. Maybe even so she would move back in with Castle, get more screen time in the future? Otherwise there would be no reason for the actress to be on the show anymore (with Alexis away at college).
Flag
Pi entered the series because a nice jewish couple wanted their son to be in television. Now he wants to be in a garage band that plays Bar Mitvahs so he had to leave. The life of jewish princlings is sooooo hectic.
Flag
I think the black van was people hired by 3XK. Remember, he sent that recording of that song letting them know they would see him again. I just hope it ends with 3XK being shot in the head by Castle.
Flag
I agree. But I think it may be 3XK himself and his doctor girlfriend/cohort. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if it's another of Castle's Dad enemies.
Flag
Oh no, I meant the hired people would just kidnap him, but 3XK and his girlfriend would have some kind of plan. I hope 3XK gets shot by either Castle or accidentally shot by his girlfriend thinking it was Castle she was shooting.
Flag
highly doubt it was 3XK doesnt seem like him..

he would be more "Higher IQ" about it
Flag
Mythology... Yeah, right... :/
Flag
Well, if they consider the Bracken-storyline mythology, the probably are trying to replace that. After all they "closed" that storyline last week. 2 episodes a season can not really be considered a mythology. Not even by the very meager NCIS-standarts.

The should have a look at POI if they want to see mythology done right.
Flag
To me the word "mythology" implies more than "big fake story". It holds a sense of antiquity. As Galadriel said in the opening to Lord of the Rings, "History became legend. Legend became myth."
Flag
I agree. I really like the show, but "mythology" is a bit much. Sounds like Marlowe is kinda full of himself.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members