Castle

Dial M for Mayor

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jan 16, 2012 on ABC

• Surprised and Intrigued

The episode really didn't have much hype to it, but I personally like it better that way. That way, we don't come in with high expectations and concoct our own hopes and wishes for the episode... which is why this episode caught us off guard! We all knew the Castle/Beckett partnership at the precinct would be in danger if Mayor Wheldon was no longer mayor, but little did we know that the whole conspiracy tied to Beckett's mother's murder would be connected to this week's murder investigation. Castle is a perfectly placed pawn, possibly more powerful than the king?

This mysterious man contacting Castle whenever necessary creates such a subtle, suspenseful feel to the show, thus creating a deeper story-line that we can't wait to see unfold. We need answers!

Castle/Beckett relationship has blossomed in so many levels! And the way Castle was just looking at Beckett from afar holding their coffees, surely pondering the few worms loosened from the can, portrayed so much angst, fear, care and love... how stressful it must be for Castle. And Beckett doing as much as she can to avoid hurting Castle by publicizing the Mayor as a suspect must have been so difficult.

A lot more can be said, but all in all, a solid (pleasantly surprising) episode!
  • Dial M For Mayor

This episode started off similar to your usual Castle, they had a murder, a crazy suspect at a phone sex line, but then it got too political with the potential of ruining the Mayor's career aspirations. It turned into a crossover between Castle and Law and Order: SVU, and the forced "disagreement" between Rick and Kate as to how to pursue him seemed oddly out of place.

Tonight's Castle was well-written, with some nice side gags including the King Lear production at home, but not one of this season's best.
MNT