Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Castle and Firefly

BarryWeen3

[1]Mar 11, 2012
    • level: 14

As we all know, Nathan Fillion who plays Richard Castle also played the great Malcom Reynolds, Captain of the Serenity (Firefly class ship).

There have been references to Firefly in several episodes of Castle. Being a fan of both shows and also being a bit bored at the moment and not wanting to wade through pages of topics and threads to see if this has been done before...

My memory isn't that great but I wanted to compile a list of episodes that contained Firefly references, just for fun...

The three that pop to mind immediately are:

Season 2 Episode 6 "Vamipre Weekend" Castle dresses up in this old Firefly uniform for Halloween and Alexis makes a reference as to the last time Castle wore that costume for Halloween, which is a reference to the last time Nathan Fillion wore that costume in the movie Serenity.

Season 2 Episode 18 "Boom!" After Castle shoots the gun out of the hand of the serial killer, Beckett comments on how it was a nice shot and Castle responds "I was aiming for his head." This same line is uttered byJayne Cobb played by Adam Baldwin in a Firefly episode whose title escapes me at the moment.

Season 3 Episode 9 "Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind" When Castle and Beckett enter the warehouse and encounter the two Chinese workers there, Castle starts talking to them in Chinese to get them tosay where the Chinese spy went. AfterwardsBeckett comments on Castle knowing how to speak Chinese and Castle makes reference that he learnedit aseveral years ago, another reference toNathan Fillion'sFirefly dayswhere Mandarin Chinese was the second dominant language.

Are there any others?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gadorian

[2]Mar 12, 2012
    • level: 6
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

Season 2 Episode 18 "Boom!" After Castle shoots the gun out of the hand of the serial killer, Beckett comments on how it was a nice shot and Castle responds "I was aiming for his head." This same line is uttered byJayne Cobb played by Adam Baldwin in a Firefly episode whose title escapes me at the moment.

the episode was called "The Train Job"

Sanj (another firefly fan)

BarryWeen3

[3]Mar 12, 2012

gadorian wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

the episode was called "The Train Job" Sanj (another firefly fan)

I thought it might be that one, but I couldn't remember exactly...

Ahh...I miss Firefly.

JonathonWolf

[4]Mar 16, 2012
    • level: 10
    There's also an episode where Castle uses some Mandarin and explains to Beckett that he learned it from a show he used to watch.

BarryWeen3

[5]Mar 17, 2012

JonathonWolf wrote:
    There's also an episode where Castle uses some Mandarin and explains to Beckett that he learned it from a show he used to watch.

Yes, that was one of the three I mentioned I remembered in my opening post. It's from the 3rd season episode Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind when Castle keeps trying to convince Beckett that their victim was abducted and killed by aliens and they have that men in black encounter where the car conks out, their cell phones are knocked out, and they get knocked out by injector guns or as Espisito and Ryan put it, their "hickies".

The_Dude14

[6]Apr 4, 2012
    • level: 7

Looks like we'll get some more synergy next week with Adam Baldwin coming to town.

Can't help but think of Firefly with a sigh of longing for what could have been. It was off the air before I even knew it existed and I love every episode and the show didn't even scratch the surface of its potential.

BarryWeen3

[7]Apr 4, 2012

The_Dude14 wrote:

Looks like we'll get some more synergy next week with Adam Baldwin coming to town.

Can't help but think of Firefly with a sigh of longing for what could have been. It was off the air before I even knew it existed and I love every episode and the show didn't even scratch the surface of its potential.

Join the club.

I know exactly what you mean. Every friend I introduce Firefly to feels the exact same way. They get hooked, speed through the tv series and the movie and then go "That's it??!!"

I hate FOX every time I think about what they did to this show...

heja

[8]Apr 17, 2012
    • level: 1
    In addition; check out the newest episode "Headhunters" and welcome another of the old "Firefly" cast members: Adam Baldwin aka Jayne. I must admits it's nice to see them together again, for how ever short a revisit it is ; )

hromog

[9]Apr 23, 2012
    • level: 1

Well did everybody saw "Headhunters" already? The reference was veeeery obvious!, Castle comes in with a brown coat, and Slaugther asks for his coat (browncoat).

JasmineHR

[10]May 26, 2012
    • level: 35
    Oh, I loved when Adam Baldwin was on the show! Seeing the two together on screen had me totally geeking out. It was so strange to see such a role reversal though with Castle at times being scared of Baldwin's character. I'm glad that they left it kind of open to bring Baldwin's character back!

There was one time where Castle said "Shiny!". I think was in reference to an object being shiny but the way he said the word with such gusto just made me think it was his way of giving another wink to the Browncoats out there. I can't remember the episode though.

BarryWeen3

[11]May 26, 2012

I vaguely recall what you're talking about with him saying "shiny" but alas I too do not recall which episode that was.

I was watching the Castle panels at Comic con recently and the Firefly references are for the most part done by the writers as a nod to Nathan's previous role of course. Nathan himself tries to throw some in and get former cast memebers in as guest stars (which is the harder part so the appearance of Adam Baldwin was great timing).

The Halloween episode Vamipre Weekend from the second season, the costumes they were wearing at the end was also suppose to be a nod on the part of the writers to the various actor's previous roles.

They also revealed that since a lot of the crew that works on Castle also worked on X-Files, there was a nod to that show on the "Close Encoutners of the Murderous Kind" episode with Xs being thrown in from scene to scene. I didn't notice this, but since I'm watching the Castle episodes again for the umpteenth time, I'll definitely by looking out for them this time.

JasmineHR

[12]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 35

I go to Comic-Con every year and always go to the "Castle" panel! It's the only really good panel on the last day of Comic-Con. Someone always asks about the "Firefly" references each year and Nathan hands out prizes, especially to the people who are obviously Browncoats. Molly Quinn showed up last year dressed as Malcolm Reynolds. Lol, it was awesome!

Let me know if you find out the ep where he says "Shiny".

NiallB31

[13]Jun 21, 2012
    • level: 8

I also love the Firefly references. I really hope FOX is watching. They cancelled something great.

BarryWeen3

[14]Jun 25, 2012

JasmineHR wrote:

I go to Comic-Con every year and always go to the "Castle" panel! It's the only really good panel on the last day of Comic-Con. Someone always asks about the "Firefly" references each year and Nathan hands out prizes, especially to the people who are obviously Browncoats. Molly Quinn showed up last year dressed as Malcolm Reynolds. Lol, it was awesome!

Let me know if you find out the ep where he says "Shiny".

Finally figured out where it was said. Rewatching the Castle seasons again. It's in the 3rd season episode "Lucky Stiff" (3x14), when Beckett and Castle go undercover to get the drug dealer Oz, Beckett goes up to him to set him up for dealing and she says "I'd like to feel shiny."

TheCountess

[15]Apr 22, 2014
    • level: 2
    ...just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.
    I too am a 'Firefy' fan, and it's always nice to catch a reference to the show.
    To me, it's not only a salute to an outstanding show, but a good way to remind FOX that they made a big mistake in canceling it. They deserve to have their noses rubbed in it!

nutleygrundt

[16]Oct 15, 2014
    • level: 2
    In the latest episode Clear and present danger...As soon as castle says who's got the felching sword now? they pan across the room to a guy dressed up in Mal attire

Mr_Angelus

[17]Apr 23, 2015
    • level: 13
    I second that!