Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Episode Discussion: Nanny McDead 1x02 (Mar 16)

TesserT

[1]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 77
    Let's discuss Nanny McDead here.

I for one like this series even after just 2 eps. It's light-hearted and enjoyable viewing. I like Castle's family interaction & his banter with Beckett is good. Didn't really see the 'other nanny' did it coming early on but then I'm not really thinking too much while watching. Love the 77-yr old & looking for sex chat - funny.
    Edited on 03/16/2009 8:20pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[2]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 32
    Much better, imo. I loved the back and forth and the mix of deduction and speculation involved -- also, the pursuit of red herrings. It keeps the story zigzagging, although I'd caution the writers that that can get frenetic a little too easily.

Again, it's such an unlikely set of circumstances it's guaranteed that nothing in real life would ever work like this, but in terms of the classic tea cozy, it's in the very tradition of the best of them.

Castle's storytelling on "the quiet man in 8B" was a thing of beauty. Side note: He dresses quite well, yes? I think Nathan's really comfortable in this role.

Fave quote from the eppy: Castle's inviting Becket to a poker game with his writer buddies. She declines, citing poverty.

Castle: "It could be strip poker."
    Becket: "No. I prefer mystery to horror."

talieson

[3]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 7
    this show is wonderful. It is a pleasure to watch, Nathan is irresistable and I like all the cops, daughter and mum - yep, a very pleasant surprise and straight to th top of my list of must sees

amaryllis88

[4]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 20
    I enjoyed this episode more than I enjoyed the pilot. The nanny tumbling in the dryer, that's a new one. When I was looking at the footage of the nanny going up and down the elevator, I thought they'd use that to figure out where her cell phone was, and good catch on Castle's part on the time difference. I could tell things were not well with the husband and wife based on their position on the couch, they were sitting way too far from one another, and then as things started lookin' grim for the husband, he moved in closer to his wife.

I was surprised that the husband wasn't having the affair with the nanny, that's the path that I was leaning towards..but glad they twisted it differently in the end. The "other nanny" storyline was a surprise, I really wasn't looking at her at all. I did enjoy Castle's rendition of the neighbor in 8B, and the "sex" conversation with the old guy. Also, during the morgue scene when the examiner mentioned the woman having sex before she was killed, and Beckett has this questioning look on her face, and Castle answers it nicely for her. They're getting better chemistry.

krussell47

[5]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 12
    Have to say I really enjoyed the episode and loved how it jumped around never really revealing who the killer was until the final 15 minutes. I mean I suspected it might have been her, but couldn't put it all together on what would have lead her to kill her own friend. I think this is a great show, but will worry about it getting picked up especially after the slew of shows ABC has been canceling this year.

Starbucked

[6]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 2
    Does anyone know what the song was that was the dead nanny's ringtone? Thanks!

[7]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 29
    I really enjoyed this episode, but it wasn't as good as the first one Nathan was as awesome as ever!

ainho

[8]Mar 17, 2009

Starbucked wrote:
    Does anyone know what the song was that was the dead nanny's ringtone? Thanks!

'So What' by Pink

dtimekeeper

[9]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 6
    Looks like every case will have some surprising twists. Still liking the series so far. Does anyone know what song is playing at the end with his daughter? I've tried googling the lyrics and running it through my phone's MusicID, no luck.

penelope1985

[10]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 21
    i liked the first two episodes a lot. i dont generally like nathan filion but i think he's so confortable in this role that he's growing on me. the plots for both the episodes were predictable but we know very well that it's not the plot that matters bt the chemistry between the main characters. i remember in moonlighting which is the epitomy of this particular genre, that sometimes they started with a case and never bothered to actually tell who had done it . and honestly noone cared cause the cases served more as a means to take the relationship of sibyl sheppard and bruce wills further and not as the center of each episode. i don't think castle will be like that but i'm just saying that even though the show doesn't provide stronger cases in the future maybe it won't matter.
    Edited on 03/18/2009 7:15am

OTH_15

[11]Mar 18, 2009
    ahhh!! i looooved this episode!! it was even better then the pilot.

Minxmaster

[12]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 3

I had hoped so much for the grandma from the beginning to be the murderer

rkray

[13]Mar 19, 2009
    I also am enjoying this show. However there did seem to be a weak spot in this episode plot wise. Ok, married couples may still use condoms. Still to have them in the bathroom cabinet seemed a bit obvious. Also pregnancy can occur even with condoms but once again another unlikley coincidence - the condom brings him undone and didn't even do its job! Mind you any idiot who leaves his secret mobile under the bed probably deserves what he gets. Having said all that will definitely be checking in next week.

tjaman

[14]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 32
    Surely that was the dead girl's mobile, right where she'd dropped it ... ?

amaryllis88

[15]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 20
    tjaman wrote:

Yeah it was the dead girl's mobile, because when Castle dialed her number, it started ringing, with her Pink ringtone...in the bedroom (where she dropped it).

haldrey

[16]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 22
    Excellent episode and we only had two, this is a very promising show. What I like most besides an excellent storyline and the characters interaction is that it is tailored like an old fashion who-done-it book series.

rkray

[17]Mar 22, 2009

tjaman wrote:

Hmm, that even makes sense. Ok me officially a goose now. However that doesn't answer the condom query? Yes it is nitpicking because I really do enjoy the show.

SageNerdMe

[18]Oct 23, 2009
    • level: 3

Episode two, ladies and gents...here's my take. Being that so many of my favorite shows involve cops/law/generic dead people/creatively dead people, I have to admit I don't ever recall seeing a body stuffed in the dryer. Oil drums, dumpsters, the occasional dumbwaiter, but never a dryer. Kudos to the provocative minds behind this show for that one.

Anyway, I loved Castle's storytelling involving "the guy in 8B". 'He almost...smiled at his good fortune when he found the quarter in his pocket.' Great scene, but it also solidified believability behind the author portion of Rick Castle, which is thankfully expanded upon in this episode as well (chatting with his mom, scribbling notes on his obnoxiously small pad, etc.). Beckett becomes heart-broken Nikki Heat when transferred into the creative hands of this author. Great stuff.

Speaking of heart-broken, it seems our little short-haired sleuth (the one without a spot on the best-seller list) has been burned in the past. Burned pretty bad by the sounds of things. It's gonna be interesting to watch Detective Beckett's past come slogging out bit by bit. Hopefully, the banter between Castle and she will drag a bit more out of her, personality-wise, so we can all start to make her into something other than "the one with the badge."

I'm also still annoyed that the other two detectives on the show seem to be nothing more than lapdogs for Beckett. They are DETECTIVES, right? Not just patrolmen fresh out of the academy?

Anyway, for me, this show's 2 for 2. Never saw the nanny-did-the-nanny angle on this plot, either. Nicely done.

lexlou

[19]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 10

i agreed with you on that the guys always seam to be taking Kate's orders

i would love to see them get a little more action in S3

as for the condoms in the bathroom- he probably keeps around since it clear its not the first

time he was cheating on his wife- as for the pregnancy if she believe that he was going to leave his wife for

her that the baby would help in starting a new family