We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Firefly/Serenity

nolefan32

[1]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 11

I've seen a few on here that have said they have been introduced to Nathan's work either here or by means of his time on Desperate Housewives and had never heard of Firefly before coming to this board. For those people I'm here to say, you owe it to yourself to visit your video rental place and pick up at least the motion picture Serenity, which is based on the series. Firefly was by far the best TV series nobody watched, cut down before it's prime by a network with an itchy trigger finger. And it's arguably Nathan's best work.

For newbies to the series, the easiest way to do things is to see Serenity first. It was made after the series as a means of wrapping up some of the major storylines left unresolved by the series' cancellation, but it was produced in such a way that you didn't have to be a Browncoat to understand what was going on. Joss Whedon included everything you need to know to understand the movie, even if you don't know every minute detail about the universe it's set in.

The movie has the advantage of being only an hour and a half investment of your time, vs. 14 hours for the series itself - it's a way to determine quickly if Firefly is for you (though I have yet to turn someone on to Firefly that wasn't a Browncoat by the end of it all). Hence why I recommend starting there.

However, the movie isn't as good as the series was. It does wrap things up nicely, but it suffers from the fact that there were nine major characters in the TV series, and in the movie, most of them (all of them, fan favorites for somebody) are just window dressing. Joss Whedon had to distill a season and a half of the series that would have been had the series survived down to an hour and a half, so something had to give - and as a result, there are times where the whole thing feels like 10 lbs shoved into a 5 lb bag. But it's still good viewing.

Required viewing for any fan of Nathan's work on Castle is the gag reels and blooper reels that appear with both the series and the movie. Nathan's character in the series, Capt. Mal Reynolds (aka Captain Tightpants), is so much more serious than Rick Castle is, the main way to see the jokester you've come to love on Castle is to see Nathan cutting up in the gag reels and blooper reels. You also get a peek at Nathan's bare ass.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sandbur

[2]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 25

Good review, though I must say I enjoyed Serenity as much as the series. Summer Glau can kick a$$!! As for the movie format being too short to deal with the characters in the depth of the show, then I say, "MORE movies"! Wink Laughing

BarryWeen3

[3]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 14
    Firefly besides suffering from FOX's itchy trigger finger also suffered from FOX's interference. Whedon was asked almost at the eleventh hour to write an entirely new pilot as FOX didn't think the original pilot he wrote was "exciting" enough. Hence, the show debuted with the Train Job episode and the original pilot aired second which showed how the crew was brought together and what the Firefly universe was like. Then of course the show was moved all over the schedule and certain episodes were aired out of order and then when FOX decided cancellation was the way to go, they jumped to the last episode filmed, hence the reason their are several unaired episodes on the DVD set of the TV series.

Serenity the movie itself is essentialy what season 2 might have looked like distilled down into a movie time frame. For anybody that watches the movie and the TV series and wonders what happened between the end of the TV series and why everybody is where they are in the movie, Joss Whedon wrote a comic book mini-series, Those Left Behind, bridging the gap. It's available now in a collected TPB format. Josh Whedon also wrote another 3-issue mini-series entitled Better Days, and there's another Serenity comic coming out in June.

I too have hooked friends the same way Nolefan32 has suggested. They watched the movie, were interested, watched the TV series, then joined the Browncoat Brigade and also got mad at FOX for cancelling the series to begin with...

So I also say to all, go watch Captain Mal Reynolds and the crew of Serenity, get hooked, and long live the Browncoats!!

nolefan32

[4]Mar 31, 2010
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Hence, the show debuted with the Train Job episode and the original pilot aired second which showed how the crew was brought together and what the Firefly universe was like.
    A minor point of correction - "Serenity" (the original pilot episode, not to be confused with the movie of the same name) wasn't aired second - it was saved until after the show was cancelled, and run as an "origins" movie. For my money, though it might not be as "exciting" as The Train Job, it's the superior pilot of the two (though The Train Job is a decent second episode, it just wasn't as involving as a pilot to introduce people to the 'verse).

Fox monkeyed with the show all the way through, forcing episodes to be aired out of order (which isn't good for a serial show, that is, a show with a continuing storyline similar to a soap opera), and pre-empting episodes for any lame reason they could think of, to the point that even the most diehard of Joss Whedon's previous fans had a tough time getting excited about the show - until the DVD came out, and we got to see it the way Joss had always intedended it to be.

And for anyone wondering what the correct viewing order is, it's the order the episodes are in on the DVD set, the way Joss had always wanted them to be. Just start at the beginning. Or with the movie first, then the series from the beginning.

If you do watch the movie first and it prompts you to watch the series, you'll want to watch the movie again after you've seen the series. Seeing the series will provide you with a lot of backstory that will make you appreciate certain details in the film that, though they aren't critical to understanding the film, will give you a more robust viewing experience the second time around.

BarryWeen3

[5]Mar 31, 2010
    nolefan32 wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Hence, the show debuted with the Train Job episode and the original pilot aired second which showed how the crew was brought together and what the Firefly universe was like.
    A minor point of correction - "Serenity" (the original pilot episode, not to be confused with the movie of the same name) wasn't aired second - it was saved until after the show was cancelled, and run as an "origins" movie. For my money, though it might not be as "exciting" as The Train Job, it's the superior pilot of the two (though The Train Job is a decent second episode, it just wasn't as involving as a pilot to introduce people to the 'verse).

Fox monkeyed with the show all the way through, forcing episodes to be aired out of order (which isn't good for a serial show, that is, a show with a continuing storyline similar to a soap opera), and pre-empting episodes for any lame reason they could think of, to the point that even the most diehard of Joss Whedon's previous fans had a tough time getting excited about the show - until the DVD came out, and we got to see it the way Joss had always intedended it to be.

And for anyone wondering what the correct viewing order is, it's the order the episodes are in on the DVD set, the way Joss had always wanted them to be. Just start at the beginning. Or with the movie first, then the series from the beginning.

If you do watch the movie first and it prompts you to watch the series, you'll want to watch the movie again after you've seen the series. Seeing the series will provide you with a lot of backstory that will make you appreciate certain details in the film that, though they aren't critical to understanding the film, will give you a more robust viewing experience the second time around.

Yeah, I didn't remember exactly when the original pilot was shown...

FOX monkeyed around with it so much I totally forgot which order the episodes were first shown, I just remember the correct order from the DVD set.

Watching the TV series first and then the movie does make it sadder watching the movie, in my opinion.

Morspeed

[6]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 9
    I never watched Firefly on FOX. I actually watched Serenity first and remembered thinking it was a good movie. Then when I heard about Firefly and how it preluded Serenity I ended up downloading the entire season. Enjoyed it so much that I ended up buying the Blu Ray release of both FireFly and Serenity. I still watch FireFly from time to time. I definitely see some Mal in Castle, even without the FireFly references.

BarryWeen3

[7]Mar 31, 2010
    Morspeed wrote:
    I never watched Firefly on FOX. I actually watched Serenity first and remembered thinking it was a good movie. Then when I heard about Firefly and how it preluded Serenity I ended up downloading the entire season. Enjoyed it so much that I ended up buying the Blu Ray release of both FireFly and Serenity. I still watch FireFly from time to time. I definitely see some Mal in Castle, even without the FireFly references.

I think the Halloween episode this season was the better Firefly reference especially Alexis' response to her father's costume.

Morspeed

[8]Mar 31, 2010
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

I think the Halloween episode this season was the better Firefly reference especially Alexis' response to her father's costume.

Yes that was definitely the most in your face reference to FireFly. The 2 by 2 mime and the "I was aiming for his head" line would mostly be for the real Browncoats.

nolefan32

[9]Mar 31, 2010
    Morspeed wrote:
    I definitely see some Mal in Castle, even without the FireFly references.
    I would concur.

On the surface, the two are polar opposites. Whereas Rick Castle is the manchild jokester who once in a while gets serious, Mal Reynolds is the constant brooder who every so often pulls a gag. But they do both share in common a deep-seated concern for those close to them, and both will go to extremes to protect or defend someone they hold close.

Mal, I think, reflects better than Castle just how great of an actor that Nathan actually is. To see him in the bloopers and gag reels, he can be just as much of a manchild as Rick usually is, so to play Castle isn't exactly a stretch for him. Mal comes from such a darker place, I'm guessing he's the bigger stretch for Nathan to play.

I do think Rick and Wash would be the tightest of buds if they didn't live 500 years apart, and on different planets.

Morspeed

[10]Mar 31, 2010
    Well, Mal is a much more complex character than Castle. His past is a lot more complicated. Mal has just been through so much, war, love, lost love, loss of religion and so on. And he seems to feel it more. He wears his burden a lot more (represented by the brown coat). Castle is a lot more cut and dry (so far). He lives a fast life with few hardships. So he laughs at life, where Mal scowls at it.

I'm sure there is more to Castle than just what I outlined. He does have a daughter and raised her pretty much on his own. But his childlike demeanour seems to indicate that his life hasn't been THAT complicated.

Merlin4421

[11]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 7

This thread makes me sad...I still miss firefly so much. 1 of the best sci-fi series i've ever seen.

BarryWeen3

[12]Apr 20, 2010
    Merlin4421 wrote:

This thread makes me sad...I still miss firefly so much. 1 of the best sci-fi series i've ever seen.

Long Live the Browncoats!!

nolefan32

[15]Apr 20, 2010
    Take my love.
    Take my land.
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care,
    I'm still free.
    You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black.
    Tell em I ain't comin' back.
    Burn the land
    And boil the sea.
    You can't take the sky from me.

Have no place I can be
    Since I found Serenity.
    But you can't take the sky from me.

I am a leaf on the wind ....

BarryWeen3

[16]Apr 20, 2010
    Thanks Nolefan32.

We gotta start adding quotes now:

Here's a good one.

Kaylee: "We're [going] on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."
    Mal: "Oh, God! I can't know that!"
    Jayne: "I could stand to hear a little more."

nolefan32

[17]Apr 21, 2010
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Thanks Nolefan32.

We gotta start adding quotes now:

Here's a good one.

Kaylee: "We're [going] on a year now, I ain't had nothing 'twixt my nethers weren't run on batteries."
    Mal: "Oh, God! I can't know that!"
    Jayne: "I could stand to hear a little more."

Some of my favorites:

Jayne: "I'll be in my bunk."

Badger: "'Course you couldn't buy an invite with a diamond the size of a testicle, but I got my hands on a couple ... OF INVITES!"

Simon: "This must be what going mad feels like."

River (echoing Kaylee): "No power in the 'verse can stop me."

Book: "If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

BarryWeen3

[18]Apr 21, 2010
    Here's some more:

Harrow: "You didn't have to wound the man." Mal: "Yeah, I know, it was just funny." Kaylee: "Well, we're headed for help... right?" Zoe: "Captain will come up with a plan." Kaylee: "That's good. Right?" Zoe: "Possibly you're not recalling some of his previous plans." Jayne: (wearing ugly homemade hat) "How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don'tchya think?"

Kaylee: "I think it's the sweetest hat ever."

Book: "Makes a statement."

Jayne: "Yeah, yeah!"

Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

Jayne: "Damn straight."

Zoe: "No one's gonna force you to go, Jayne. As has been stated -- this job's strictly speculative."

Jayne: "Good. 'Cause I don't know these folks, don't much care to."

Mal: "They're whores."

Jayne: "I'm in."

Kaylee: "But how can you be sure Inara don't just wanna see you? Sometimes people have feelings. I'm referring here to people."

Mal: "Y'all were watchin', I take it?"

Kaylee: (everyone looks guilty) "Yes."

Mal: "Did you see us fight?"

Kaylee: "No."

Mal: "Trap."

BarryWeen3

[19]Apr 21, 2010
    You know it would really help the quotes to be readable if the formatting in these reply boxes weren't so bad.