Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Has the show lost its way?

shoestring25

[1]Feb 14, 2011
    • level: 2

i like this show but feel it has lost is way in season 3 rick castle is no longer the playboy womaniser who has better ideas and contects than the cops, hes now just a sidekick. he doesn't play cards now doesn't see the mayor. Lannie hardly appears in the series anymore as Becket's friend and coroner. also Becket her self is no longer the damaged loner cop. she just solves crimes alegidly has a boyfrind now and comes to work like shes just come out of a fashion shoot.

they seam to have even dispensed with the whole reason hes about in the first place him writing a new book. its just developed in to a crime of the week series and seams too far dragged out for a 22 episode run

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BarryWeen3

[2]Feb 14, 2011
    • level: 14

shoestring25 wrote:

i like this show but feel it has lost is way in season 3 rick castle is no longer the playboy womaniser who has better ideas and contects than the cops, hes now just a sidekick. he doesn't play cards now doesn't see the mayor. Lannie hardly appears in the series anymore as Becket's friend and coroner. also Becket her self is no longer the damaged loner cop. she just solves crimes alegidly has a boyfrind now and comes to work like shes just come out of a fashion shoot.

they seam to have even dispensed with the whole reason hes about in the first place him writing a new book. its just developed in to a crime of the week series and seams too far dragged out for a 22 episode run

Lost it's way? I disagree. A show has to have character development, which is what you're seeing in both characters, Castle and Beckett. You can't have good characters if they remain static. Like over in Chuck. Chuck started off not knowing what he was doing, always needing Sarah or Casey to rescue him. Now he's more confident, even makes plans for missions. If characters stayed the same, it would soon become repetitive and boring to watch as a show. Same reason I always loved Friends but could never get into Seinfeld, the characters on Friends changed and grew up, the characters on Seinfeld, to me, seemed to do the same thing over and over.

Edited on 02/14/2011 7:33pm

heytiger93

[3]Feb 15, 2011
    • level: 9
    Im guessing one of the reasons the poker games have not been featured lately is because one of the writers who castle played poker with; Stephen j cannel actually died late last year so yeah... may be out of respect for him that they've let that go for the time being. IMHO the reason castle isn't as much as the womanizer that he once was, is because there's only one woman that he well and truly wants... What's her name again... Oh yeah... Beckett. She's the one woman he can't win over with his wit and charm exclusively, he knows the only way to her heart is to prove his loyalty and also to prove he is worthy of her as something more than just a partner in the professional sense and as time has gone by he has fallen for her more deeply so he feels the need to let go of the playboy act and to show her who he really is; a gentleman. Lanie has been quieter than usual but she hasn't been MIA or anything, that's probably due to the fact that there were severe time constraints for past episodes and the writers probably felt the need to make use of only the characters that they had to feature. But due to the fact that her and espo have now hooked up she'll probs be making more appearances in the near future. Beckett's wardrobe doesn't bother me at all. It's not like she's arriving to work in mini skirts and tank tops so I don't think it's that far of a stretch from where she first started. Might be that since starting to work with castle and starting to fall for him she's either consciously or subconsciously wanting to impress him with her choice in more fashionable clothing. I wouldn't say it's out of character on Beckett's behalf for her to have a boyfriend. We've delved quite deep into her romantic entanglements in the past, not surprised another one has arisen. And it's more than obvious that castle is there at the precinct for more than "Nikki heat" material, don't know about anyone else but from word go I thought it was more than obvious castle was there to pursue beckett and do what he was born to do solve murders. He feels a a sense if duty, he has since he first started, he fully intended to prove himself as a worthy member of Beckett's homicide squad and so he has done. So hate to debunk your little the show has lost it's way theory but I think these developments which have occurred naturally and not been forced upon us by the writers or actors etc. actually reaffirm the fact that this show has stayed true to the characters and story lines. Still your opinion is your right and I totally respect that. Not gonna try and wage a war of posts on you over fiction haha. Cheers for the thread.

sandbur

[5]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 25

I think it has found it's way! I don't think it could be progressing any better. The characters are nicely developed now (though I would like to see more Alexa and Martha) and I don't think there has been a mis-step all season as far as episodes go. In fact, I think there have been some seriously power house shows.

Nope. Sorry. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one...

pandyangel

[6]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 5
    Yes, I disagree with you too Season 3 is fantastic so far, it's great writing and actors are amazing like they always were...
    But maybe there are some people who agree with you because of the rating this season gets here in tv.com.

mange85

[7]May 1, 2011
    • level: 6

NO WAY, season 3 is the best season so far, and Castle is growing up, that is what we have been seeing in this season.

KyleWells

[8]May 8, 2011
    • level: 4

I have to disagree I feel if anything show is getting better and leading to what should be an amazing season 4

SheWhoTangles

[9]May 9, 2011
    • level: 7

Season 3 has given us some amazing shows, plus progress in the developing Caskett relationship. The upcoming cliffhanger promises a really rocking Season 4!

arhudson

[10]May 31, 2011
    • level: 8
    i lost interest. Its sad to see a show full of so much promise fall flat and disapoint

bendylegsnick

[11]May 31, 2011
    • level: 15
    no, it's awesome

PeterHagander

[12]Jun 1, 2011
    fringe

Yaspaa

[13]Jun 1, 2011
    • level: 79
    I can see both sides of the story, until it gets bad I won't be complaining though. I still prefer Nate in SciFi/Fantasy stuff though, the tongue and cheek thing works better in them.

ClaireStewart

[14]Jun 1, 2011
    hell no

drlowdon

[15]Jun 1, 2011
    • level: 8
    No, still love it. Just hope the show concentrates more on finding the killer of Becketts mum as they are the best episodes. Also Stan Katic looks so hot with her longer hair this series, worth watching just for her.

Dranoel

[16]Nov 10, 2011
    • level: 3

Funny how the evidence on the writing in this forumsupports both sides. I found this issue myself and wondered if others had become less excited after season 2, and here I sit reading the interesting observations. More backend stories are great for substance and future stories. Mentioned by others..the Poker games.(sadly the passing of a real writer was even portrayed) needed for the show...ask anyone who has sat around with friends, frienemies, sharks and criminals...very interesting. The Castle unknown father...that should be continued...but it's not... The mother's embezzled money marriage..dude must be a crook? - ah no, Castle never asks for that investigation. Castle's network of CIA/Organized crime/Celeb/Political contacts...they show up once..really? Too bad.The past of the new Captain...nosey Castle doesn't thing her nick name is cause for some story...again..too bad.

What is happening...sappy,almost dating,innuendo conversationsthat when I last watched were done in Season 1 & 2. More of the almost dialog that would lead to great facial expressions thatare not pulled off with the same surprise or humour. The life ofthe daughter...really...the parent side of his life...season 1 & 2 did it justice...just send her off to university...orget herinto career...not much of mystery with that character. The marriage of theRyan charcter...really?Weak... Post traumatic syndrome for Beckett...this weakening of primary character, it can only be a "House" rip-off of drama...maybe "NCIS" emotionalchange...but it's predictable for Season 5 & 6 she'll be there. UNLESS you leave the show ordie..."CSI - Vegas"..."Law &Order" and still going great! If the Cop drama storys keepcoming, they seem to be formated very ridget- Castle -mother daughter talk -- Becket call -- dead body --Esposito/Ryan commentary --Clues - Castleobservations - Evidence - Solved. I believe the"mix it up" expressionby the writing team has failed and hence this forum taking notice. Thepredictabilityis there, can it stopped??

Ihearfromothers, that they say Castle is maturing,focusing on a singlewoman, andgrowing..really?A female detective with a haunting/obsession over her mother's murder,who is single, good looking, and huge Castle fangetshim as ashadow and he writes book based on her.Enjoyed Season 1 & 2dating dialog. The other characters are able to denote their chemistry with obvious dialogwhich both Castle andBeckett arequestioning. Here is where I agreethat the show has lost it's way, (SPOILER) Season 3E24- Knockout - Castle takes a the leap...tells Beckett he "loves her" twice... - Then in Season 4 admits to not remembering to Castle when shot, then to therapst say she remember's all her shooting trauma. In the real world, people move away and change... Not sure the show can handle this strange distance..that was createdin Season 1 & 2 was "heating" up...(the novel's character name - clever on the writers part) - If the your take is the show if fine, I disagree. If you like that Castle tried and failed to express a focused matter of heart and they continue to do crime fighting as usual,you will loose interest..I did.I enjoyed what I saw..but like any product, it has lost it's appeal due to lack offreshiness and bland style. If I see the NEW and Improved , I might be back.

ALSCC

[17]Nov 13, 2011
    • level: 5
    Dranoel wrote:

If the Cop drama storys keepcoming, they seem to be formated very ridget- Castle -mother daughter talk -- Becket call -- dead body --Esposito/Ryan commentary --Clues - Castleobservations - Evidence - Solved. I believe the"mix it up" expressionby the writing team has failed and hence this forum taking notice. Thepredictabilityis there, can it stopped??

unfortunately, i have to agree. each episode seems to follow the same pattern, with what can only be attributed to the writers running out of ideas. the only storyline that grabs my interest is beckett's mothers murder. other than that, the storylines seem to be nothing more than filler. it wasnt much of an issue in seasons 1 & 2, because the cases were more interesting and generally funnier. i dont think the show has lost its way though, the writers simply need to 'mix things up a bit' and rediscover the humour that made this show great.

RobinDanil

[18]Dec 23, 2011
    • level: 6

No way. The show actually gets better. It's still really funny and Kate finally doesn't have a boyfriend anymore so the romance between Castle and Beckett is wide open. I hope we'll see that starting to develop more and more in season 4. Episode 10 final scene was a great example. I do hope they're gonna give Esposito and Ryan more screentime. So freaking funny.

Beckett

[19]Dec 28, 2011
    • level: 3

I can see both sides to the story even though I am an avid viewer of the show and have no intensions of stopping.

I do miss the novelist banter between Castle and anyone for that matter, it lost touch with that nearer the end of season 3 I feel with suddenly popping in the finale opening scenes that there will be a graphic novel was a sign that even the writers forgot the profession of the lead! First two eps of season 4 touched on it but then nothing. So I hope they don't forget that side of Castle as I do think that the character Castle is the weak link this season. Not necessarily to do with Nathan as he can only do the best with what he is given, but the writers are pushing the Beckett character thisyear which I don't mind at all in some counts as Stana is amazing at it hence my username but I don't want them to push the other lead off the grid which I feel has happened this season so far. I have enjoyed half of the 10 eps aired, the last couple and the bank robbery eps being the better ones but still feel that the next few eps I know where they will go before I have even viewed them and that is a worry that the show is getting a little predictable. There probably won't be any 'shock' eps now for a good4 eps!! Just the usual ongoing crime, followed by scene of Castle family then Castle getting the call then followed by murder scene leading onto maybe 2 interviews with a family or loved one then out on the town to a location then interrogation room then a think solved moment, then the twist! Oh and then the caskett moment at the end or of course back to the Castle family... I get that thisisgetting old if we are all calling this out!

I hope for the show's life sake that the writersdo read these kind of threads as they are not mean or very critical but are mostly honest opinions from fans of the show. We are still watching, but with a little hesitation each week that it could be 'just another' ep week.

My opinion? They need another ark to start behind the day to day crime solving, not just the mothers murder as that would seem forced if that was put upon each week. But something else that leaves us hanging each ep not the Caskett relationship ends as I think the writers believe that is enough but only some weeks that works, you can't expect them to have a lovey dovey look into my eyes moment every week and when they don't put it in the ep always ends flat. So another ark would be more realistic and enjoyable now, and still have the banter to keep the urst going DURING the ep not just the end scene...

OK. thats my say!

shoestring25

[20]Feb 29, 2012

i just dont think series 4 has been good lots of individual episodes. it really hasn't moved on from the start of the season. it just comes across as just another cop show now. they seem to have forgotten castle is a writer and hes not actually a detective. he use to come up with great ideas to solve the crimes and his celerity used to lead into some amusing banter and situations. even the two parter this year was disappointing

its just treading water right now. for hopefully a few good episodes at the end of the season