Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

HELP.. what we know about Kate's mother killer

Sugar2U

[1]May 17, 2011
    • level: 9

Ok sooo help me put this in order.. In season 1 Beckett kills a man named Coonan who was hired to kill her mother...

Then we find out Macallister and Raglan were two cops that were kidnapping mobsters and then blackmailing them but something went wrong and a guy was killed... it was covered up and Becketts mom was looking into this??? and that is why she was killed? BUT now we know Montgommery was somehow in on this and then there is also a guy named Lockwood?? AND that someone else is behind the scenes.

Could someone please put this in context that I understand? Thankyou I will check back soon

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pscf3

[2]May 17, 2011
    • level: 16

It all started when Captain Mongomery accidentally shot a FBI agent when he was rookie. I believe Beckett's mom was in a group of protesters, which got her killed, but I'm still a little fuzzy on that. More recently, people have tried to come forward with it all, only to be killed by a hired killer, Lockwood. There is supposedly a bigger conspiricy that has yet to be revealed. 

Dick Coanan killed her mom, but now they are on the search for the person who hired him and Lockwood. But, everyone with knowledge of his name is dead. However, the captain mailed the information to someone, ( I think castle.) , before he died.

Also, Coanan was from s2, not s1.

Hope that cleared it up, at least a little bit.

BarryWeen3

[3]May 17, 2011
    • level: 14

Season 1: Castle learns that Kate's mother died. He talks Espisito into letting him take a look at the case file (somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd episode). He brings up using his resources to help Kate find the killer (I think the 5th episode). Kate basically bites his head off and tells him that if looks into her mother's murder, their partnership is over. Castle being Castle doesn't listen and his pathologist friend, Dr. Clark Murray,tells him that Kate's mother's murder fits a pattern of murders with a distinctive signature. Martha tells Castle he has to tell Kate. And tell her he does in the season finale, but you don't actually get to see that conversation, just the very beginning of it.

Season 2: At the start of the season, the relationship between Castle and Kate is strained because of Castle's digging into her mother's murder but Castle eventually apologizes. Her mother's murder isn't revisited again until "Sucker Punch" (13th episode). The investigation into the murder of an Irish mobster leads back to Kate's mother when Lanie notices that the way the mobster was killed is identical to the previous murders Castle discovered through Dr. Murray's observations of the stabbings. After Lanie confers with Dr. Murray, she reveals to Kate that the man who murdered the mobster is the same man who murdered her mother. Eventually Beckett discovers that the brother of the mobster, Dick Coonan, is the assassin who killed his brother and killed her mother. Kate is forced to shoot Coonan when he takes Castle hostage and she isn't able to save him and thus loses a connection to her mother's murder.

Season 3: Again in this season, the murder of Kate's mother is not revisited again until the 13th episode, "Knockdown". Beckett gets a call from a retired cop named John Reglan, who was the lead detective in the murder case of Joanna Beckett. He tells Beckett to meet him as he has information for her about her mother's murder. Before he can impart any information beyond telling Beckett that there was more to death of Kate's mother than she knew, he's taken out by a sniper shot. The person who kills Reglan is Hal Lockwood. Beckett tracks down another retired cop, Dave McCallister, who was Reglan's partner. He first misleads Beckett by throwing her onto the trail of this drug lord that used to rule the neighborhood where her mother was killed. Her resulting interrogation of Vulcan Simmons gets her thrown off the case.

Castle tries to encourage Beckett to continue investigating and Kate reveals to Castle her murder board for her mother's death. Together, they learn that Joanna Beckett did lead a series of protests against the bad elements in the neighborhood where she died but in the days leading up to her death, Kate's mother had taken on the case of a mobster in prison for life who claims he was innocent, Joe Pulgatti. Talking to Pulgatti, he reveals to Beckett that her mother and her mother's friends were all murdered because of what took place back then. Back then, there were rumors that mobsters from all five families were being kidnapped and held for ransom and that it was a trio of cops who were doing it. When this trio tried to kidnap Pulgatti, Pulgatti was not alone at the time, there was an undercover FBI Agent named Armand there too. In trying to prevent the kidnapping, Armand was shot and killed and Pulgatti went to prison for the crime since the cops could easily frame him.

Beckett gets put back on the case and brings in McCallister who confirms the story. He also tells them that all this investigating into Joanna's death has made the people behind the consipracy nervous and that's why Lockwood was sent out to silence Reglan. McCallister doesn't say more than that and resigns himself to living on borrowed time. Eventually Beckett captures Lockwood with the help of Castle. She promises Lockwood she will be in weekly to see him to find out who else was behind her mother's death.

Cut to the season finale, "Knockout". Hal Lockwood uses his assassination of McCallister as means of engineering an escape from the courthouse. After Hal Lockwood's escape, Castle and Beckett try to determine who the 3rd cop is. Eventually all roads lead to Captain Montgomery. When he was younger, he was a rookie cop who accompanied Reglan and McCallister on their kidnapping raids. And it was his gun that Armand went after and in the ensuing scuffle, Armand was shot and killed. He used his chance to help and mold Beckett as a means of his redemption. He also made a deal to protect Beckett by not allowing her to get to far into the reasons and people behind her mother's death. Due to Beckett's investigational obsession returning, the main guy behind it all was once again nervous as to what Beckett might discover and engineered Lockwood's escape who sent a warning to Montgomery. Either help Lockwood set up Beckett or put your own family in danger. Montgomery did neither. He sent files and documents he kept as insurance (I'm guessing) to someone, I think Castle, and then met Beckett at the airport to confess everything. Then he had Castle take Beckett away to protect her and he had his last shot at redemption by taking out the shooters and Lockwood. The one more important piece of information that Montgomery told Beckett was that there was another man who discovered their shooting of the undercover FBI agent and took all the ransom money the trio had accumulated as the price for his silence. This man then used that money to become richer and more powerful and very connected. The finale ends of course with the cliffhanger of Kate getting shot at Montgomery's funeral and Castle's confessions of his feelings.

A great twist and possible theory as to who the mastermind is that I and others have put forth is that the mastermind is the mayor, Castle's friend.

Anyway, hope all this helps.

Sugar2U

[4]May 18, 2011
    • level: 9

WOW.. thanks that is exactly what I wanted someone to do.. Soguess the 3 cops Raglan, MacAllister, and Montgomery were doing the kidnapping BUT there was a Fourth who was running the show and that is who hired Lockwood and at first Coonan who killed the mother.. OK got it. Thanks.

BarryWeen3

[5]May 18, 2011
    • level: 14

Sugar2U wrote:

WOW.. thanks that is exactly what I wanted someone to do.. Soguess the 3 cops Raglan, MacAllister, and Montgomery were doing the kidnapping BUT there was a Fourth who was running the show and that is who hired Lockwood and at first Coonan who killed the mother.. OK got it. Thanks.

No, the fourth person was notin charge of the kidnappingsbut he found about what the 3 cops were doing and basically blackmailed them into turning over the accumulated ransom money, which he then used to acccumulate more power and wealth. He is very powerful and connected which is what McCallister intimated when Beckett interrogated him and he said "You've woken the dragon." And yes, this fourth man sent Coonan after Beckett's mother and her friends and Lockwood after the cops and Beckett.

ShannonQuinn1

[6]Jun 22, 2012
    • level: 2

I totally agree with you about the Mayor! I've thought he was involved since season 1, but through the course of seasons 1-4, I'm thinking he's the Dragon and behind it ALL! I think the Mayor allowed Castle to shadow Beckett because he would be a distraction for her so she woudn't investigate her mother's death again. (Remember at this time she had put it to rest) But I don't think that he anticipated that it would actually be Castle who got her started in the investigation to begin with. But I also think that he keeps Castle there because Castle can unknowingly keep the Mayor updated on what Beckett is doing when they chat during their poker games. In Knockout, Montgomery tells Beckett that he "took the money to become who he is". In season 4 finale Always, Cole tells Beckett that the person behind her mother's death is "Someone you can never touch". I think the Mayor is behind everything. He hires these hitmen and mobsters to do his dirty work. The person behind it is someone who has A LOT to lose if he is found out! A little piece of me wonders if Castle's unknown father is behind any of this too.

mysterywriter18

[7]Nov 29, 2012
    • level: 1

I've often wondered about Kate's father and whether he had something to do with her mother's death in some way??? I'm probably way off base, but it's that mystery writer on me that makes me suspect the least likely person. Any thoughts? Anyone?

AnjaJanja

[8]Feb 10, 2014

Hi! Sorry if i make mistakes of grammaire or of sens (grammatical constuctructions) English is not my native language. I'm watching this show, and also have had question about her father. Maybe he is involved or knows something. And for so many others people i have asked myself are they involed or they know something. Castle's father (Sofia in 3rd or 4th season, i don't recall anymore, said to Castle that he was in CIA thanks to his dad. And in season 6 we saw that there is something..) I have found this stuff http://castle.wikia.com/wiki/Beckett_Conspiracy and http://castlefans.org/wiki/index.php?title=Johanna_Beckett_Murder_Board that are useful. There is always something that slips me from hand/eye (i'm wacthing all over again, from the begging), and i find all people as suspects or that they are involved in that murder somehow, or that they know something about it Even Gates, Castle's father, Kate's father...I think that Pulgati isn't dead, and that he knows something that he had not said.

Edited on 02/10/2014 1:40pm

Summary

[9]Feb 17, 2014
    • level: 2
    While all of these theories seem worthy of a Castle story, the Beckett facts point clearly toward Bracken as the Dragon.
    Johanna Beckett was killed in an alley in January, 1999. Kate and Jim Beckett were waiting for her at a dinner. When they got home, Det. John Ragland told them about the murder and attributed it to random drug violence.

At the end of season 1, Castle finds out that the former ME missed something. His expert says the random act was more like an assassination. The partnership almost ends, but keeps going.

In season 2, Sucker Punch, Beckett and Castle find the direct killer in Coonan. Beckett shoots him before he tells them anything about the mastermind.

In season 3, Knockdown, Ragland starts to fill in the story before he is killed. Beckett and Castle pursue the trail and rescue Esposito and Ryan before they are killed. They put Lockwood behind bars. Each time the Dragon is mentioned. The story about the dirty cops comes out here. They know there are 3 but only know Ragland and McAllister are two. Beckett and Castle find out from Puglati that one of the cops was in one frame up because only they could have known who was in the alley when FBI undercover Bob Armin was shot. Lockwood goes to jail. At the end of season 3, Knockout, Beckett and Castle find they Capt. Montgomery was the third cop. It was his gun, though not him, that killed Armin. He has been trying to protect Beckett.

Up to this point, no real evidence who the Dragon is. In season 4, Rise, first glimpse at the bad guy, Senator William Bracken. He was ADA when the cops were snatching mobsters for ransom. He says he needed money to move up in the political realm as he was just a kid from the streets. Beckett and the boys find a bank account linked to him. He tells Beckett near the end that he justifies this for all the "good:" he has done. In Dial M for Murder, Castle talks to the Mayor after his name was cleared. The Mayor says powerful forces just killed his chance for national office (implying Bracken and the Dragon). So cannot be the Mayor.

In Season 5, Recoil, Beckett saves Bracken's life. Bracken does not admit to anything but gives Beckett sly smiles. He says that he owes her a favor. Maybe she will get it back in season 6 in an upcoming episode.

Bottom line, my feeling is the the ultimate bad guy is Not Bracken, but his wife.

AnjaJanja

[10]May 5, 2014

Did someone looked this episode Veritas? The evidence was all the time in front of her, and everybody! And all my suspicious and theories are down Does Smith need to keep hiding or what? Is Bracken that man who pulls everything or there was someone on the top of him who gave him a back up and security and permission to do all of this things? I'm sooooo happy after this episode!