Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Is anyone else happy Caskett didn't happened before season 5?

matthewgiven3

[1]Jan 3, 2013
    • level: 4

Let me try to explain what I mean. What I love about the way it was handled in the shows over all plotline and the reason they are the only couple in TV history I have really cared about. Is that there was a believable build up to it and both characters had to grow and had things to learn before this could work. It was earned so you can care about what happens and unlike in most shows you can see the relationship is about more then sex so it feels much more real and you can care about what happens. Season five is well on it's way to being my favorite season but i don't think I would have bought into the things that are happening now if we hadn't had the story lines we did in seasons 3 and 4. Beckett needed to put her stuff behind her and I would not have bought that she had done it with out the events of seasons 3 and 4. Castle also needed to grow he not only needed to stop being a play boy but back in season 2 he was only coming in to the 12th for Beckett. He needed to evolve into someone who would come in because he was needed even if he didn't have a future with Beckett. That is why 47 Seconds was such an important episode if you ask me. After all that work now I can buy them as a couple and I know that they will not be breaking up over silly things like Caslte's Ex staying with him because they have both invested a lot of time and effort into making this work and they are not just going to give up. This is what happens when you combine great writing with great acting. You get a classic piece of TV.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BarryWeen3

[2]Jan 7, 2013
    • level: 14

I'm happy that they let the relationship progressed naturally as much as possible in the constraints of network television, it might have progressed a bit too slowly, but it makes sense that both Castle and Beckett had issues that needed working through before they were able to both admit they loved each other and accept that love, especially with Beckett. Castle had to mature and Beckett had to realize life beyond her mother's murder. So while I might have wished they had progressed somewhat quicker and I didn't really like the 47 Seconds/The Limey/Headhunters arc, I do think that their relationship would likely have collapsed if they had gotten together sooner.

matthewgiven3

[3]Jan 7, 2013

I didn't like the arc when i was in the middle of it but now looking back i see that some important stuff happened in that arc. I am hoping against hope that what happened in tonight's episode will be the start of something like that and not be laying the groundwork for the end of the relationship.

BarryWeen3

[4]Jan 8, 2013

In my opinion, I think you're being too pessimistic on what the ending might mean. I saw it as a realization on Kate's part that there is probably more to Castle than she thought and that he too also has walls, which I think is obvious when you consider his past. Granted it's not as dark as Beckett's but you have a man who grew up with no father, moved around a lot, became a young father, has two failed marriages where the women left him, lost his first love, and loves a woman whose own baggage at times overwhelmed him.

I think this realization will push Kate to uncover more of the Castle onion, to borrow a phrase, and she will find that he will open up to her, proving that she is different from the women in his past in his willingness to open up to her and it should help alleviate her doubts. She should realize how different Castle views her from the other women in his past considering how close he's allowed her to his daughter, considering that was one of the complaints Gina brought up and how much Martha likes her as she barely tolerated Meredith and Gina.

But anyway, I have more faith in AWM giving us as realistic a relationship as possible with the normal trials and tribulations to keep things interesting and to also lead to the relationship progressing. Just like the past seasons have seen growth in both Kate and Rick to the point that they were ready to becomea couple, i.e. Rick maturing, Kate lowering her walls/defenses, etc.

matthewgiven3

[5]Jan 8, 2013

The thing I don't understand is if that is the case then why the sad music and slow motion? That seems to be fore shadowing something bad is about to happen.

Also while you may be right about Beckett digging I really don't see that happening for her. It would not be in character for her to stick with it and help Castle with his problems,that isn't what she does. Whenever things get hard Beckett runs that is why I don't like the writers putting in angst because I don't like seeing a happy go lucky character like Castle in pain and the moment things get less then perfect Beckett runs and leave him in pain. Honestly I don't think Beckett has what it takes to make this work because she doesn't talk about or work on anything in her life. I think that Castle would be a lot more happy dating someone else because Beckett is never going to put any work of her own into the relationship. Castle is going to have to do 100% work and that is going to lead to a break down at some point.

BarryWeen3

[6]Jan 8, 2013

Are we watching the same show? Undecided

Yes, Beckett has run in the past. She keeps one foot out of the door in her previous relationships.

That is not the case in regards to Castle. With Castle, the point that they are both at now is that she may have her freak outs and doubts but she is willing to discuss it with Castle. We see that with what happens in Always and After the Storm. Castle too has matured to this point.

My overall point is that they are a couple now and they have changed enough for each other and because of each other that when the bumps in the road in their relationship arise, they will be able to deal with them.

Also I didn't find the music at the end forboding.

I guess we just have different viewpoints on what we're watching.

wildhoney66

[7]Jan 17, 2013
    • level: 13

i also am glad they waited until season 5 as well. because let's face it the Castle in season 1 Beckett may have been attracted by him but she'd never fall in love with him. he was far too immature for her. hell he was far too immature for anyone. he was i think far too immature to be married as well, but than so were his ex's as well. to be fair. but he's matured a hell of a LOT since season 1 and so has Kate as well. true she was always more mature than him anyways. our neighbors dog is more mature than castle is season 1.

but in short if they had put them together in season 1 it wouldn't have worked at all. and they've grown so much since than. and continue to do so. rick may still be immature there's no doubt about that, but it's amazing how much kate as grown as a character as well. and putting them together i think has made her start having fun again after being so closed off for so long after her mother's murder. and it's helping her grow as a person and the same goes for castle as well. he's i think also going to be getting slowly more mature as well.

cause sometimes there are people you end up and you can change for the better. but only if you want to change and it seems castle does want to change. and that's a good thing. and it's also nice that both of them want to change and for the better as well. i don't think either one of them were ready for any of this before season 5. at the tail end of season 4 yes but if they had put them together before season 5 i don't think none of this would have happend. and it's also great they have the guys and Lanie also call castle an idiot when he does stupid stuff. it's like i said helps him keep out of trouble with Kate. and plus it helps us fans who shout at the tv saying how much of a moron if he does something stupid hence

they added that in too. the show is one of the rare shows that i think honestly loves it's fans and respects them. and doesn't lie to us like most shows do. tease yes but that doesn't bother me. in short it seems they treat us fans with more respect and it i think helps fans stay committed to the show because of it. and it also keeps the show good too. well that's what i think anyways he he ok i'm done with my rant. he he

matthewgiven3

[8]Jan 18, 2013

Yeah the respect that show for the fans is one of the things that keeps me watching Castle. Like in most shows they would have a long scene with dialog explaining how Castle spent the summer between seasons 3 and 4 but in Castle they respect the viewer enough to just show us a somewhat lifeless Castle that has a sort of empty look in his eyes at a book signing and leave it to us work out how he spent the summer.

Castle is really the only network drama I watch every week because it is the only one that respects the viewer this much. I think it's clear the writers and directors are fans of things like Alfred Hitchcock films and have really studied them and it helps the series in so many ways be so much smarter then everything else on TV right now.