Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Is it just me?

iceman0010

[1]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 14

Why are there always women as the chief, don't misunderstand I don't mind. But it caught my eye with montgomery's replacement. Almost all off the chiefs are women and if they are not they get replaced with women. Is there some kind off rule that you need a women as chief.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lostcause78

[2]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 9
    Think it's fairly equal?

That being said I did read an article a few years back, on how women that have jobs/careers that are generally speaking more physical/male dominated (police, firemen etc) tend to be more focussed and %-wise more inclined to get higher rank.
    The exception being the army, but in the civil service it was so. Wether it's because they burn more for the job from the get go or get pushed/motivated by a schauvanistic envirorment. I can't say

iceman0010

[3]Oct 19, 2011
    • level: 14

I'm not talking about real life, I'm talking about tv series.

mindshifthigher

[4]Oct 19, 2011
    • level: 4

Lost Cause 78 pointed out that in Real Life women get promoted to managerial positions. But, you dismiss the statement, because it's not aboutTV? You asked a question and Lost Cause tried to answer it. Did you just want to complain?

lostcause78

[5]Oct 21, 2011
    • level: 9
    iceman0010 wrote:

I'm not talking about real life, I'm talking about tv series.

So you prefer it to NOT be like in real life?
    Why? You have an issue with female chiefs?

gmx13

[6]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 7
    I have an issue with Castle's female chief. She just outwardly hostile to Castle and puts him down at every opportunity. Talks about his uselessness.

Yet Castle has only help closed dozens of cases and put his life at risk in the bomb episode. Where the hell was the chief during all that except sitting on her butt complaining about how Castle doesn't do anything.

CrazyAsian1080

[7]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 7

It's probably just an expectation violation. That being said, the new Captain is awful. Her character does not fit with the flow of the show at all. Her writers also make her seem a bit crazy... When she expected them to have a suspect when there WAS NO BODY after like an hour was a bit much. I was expecting someone more like Special Agent Jordan Shaw but a bit more by the book but at least someone who was as witty as Castle and Becket. Instead what's her name just seems bitter and angry for no reason most of the time. The hard case Captain just so there is tension just doesn't work on a show like Castle which is at heart a dramedy which is heavy on the -emdy

JonathonWolf

[8]Nov 1, 2011
    • level: 10

You can call it new-manageritis if you want, but there are many valid reasons why she is being properly portrayed. It could be just the kind of person she is; she may truly believe that civilians have no place on a police team. Or she just believes in Castle's playboy image and thinks he was just Montgomery's posterboy. It could be because she is from Internal Affairs, so they may have different ways of doing things than Homicide. She's also the new boss; she has to prove her appointment was not a mistake. This means that she's going to ride her team hard and follow the book to the letter. After a while, she'll learn the ins and outs of her position and be able to form a synergy with her subordinates. Don't forget thatCapt Montgomery and Special Agent Shaw are both individuals that have been performing their roles for years in environments they are comfortable with. It's Montgomery's division, and Shaw handles cases like that all the time while bringing her team wherever she goes. The new captain is there to shake up the series, and she's doing that. She's an unknown element in the dynamic that we are accustomed to seeing. When Castle first started working on cases, the entire building hated him. It took a cappuccino machine to start turning that around, and there were still moments that reminded you that Castle is just a civilian consultant. Like Lanie saying she takes orders from Beckett not Castle in season 3's "3XK" about comparing the ligature marks from their new case to the serial killer.