Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

New Captain *Spoiler*

McDuplessis

[1]Jun 9, 2011
    • level: 9

So I'm sure most of you have heard by now that the new captain is going to be Female...Admittedly I was rooting for this scenario I just think there are more interesting variables at play if the next captain is female...What do you guys think about this and also who should get the nod???....I've seen on twitter that some folks have thrown around Elizabeth Mitchell former Lost alum as well as Gina Torres but those are mostly the Firefly fanatics as well as Amanda Tapping whom I know nothing about....Out of those three I think I like Elizabeth Mitchell best we already know that she can cause a dare I say "rift" between a dynamic duo (Jack & Kate - Lost)....So we know she has acting chops for such a scene...Should the "female captain of the 12th" be a thorn in Beckett's side or a thorn in Castle and Beckett's side or just be in the background with not a lot of screen time...

One other thing that justoccurred to me won't this technically be Castle's last Nikki Heat novel...In season 2 he got a deal for 3 more books excluding the first one he wrote so makes it 3 so far with 1 more left....Wonder how the writers are going to address that situation, could be only in season 5 maybe if we're so lucky as to get a renewal....

Let me know your thoughts...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

josebadboypt

[2]Jun 15, 2011
    • level: 4

i see so many people worry that the next capt will be a woman...why?...i don't know why... at first sorry for my bad english but i must try to say something here that could be rest some people in all the seasons 3 already we had seeing Castle always around Beckett being for her.. suport her.. and at the end of this season castle it seems more her puppy then a man..never took the lead of anything... of course Castle must be for her because he loves her...but...but... beckett must be for him too in the same way...i know some people will say she is there..yes she is but not the same way..josh is there too and i think will come back...a new woman capt is the point of return..because a new woman will gonna shake things..in first she will not like castle i bet..and beckett must come to defend him how helpfull he is in many ways..and then she will be jeaulous of that duo too of course..and after that of course will it be the flirting..with two reasons..castle must be feel that someone likes to flirt with him because kate still have josh that's the true. of course that reason the new capt give a litle flirting wake up beckett because she knows now that castle loves her and who is not ready for the next step is her...and when she gonna see her boss around around very softly of Castle she won't like at all..and i bet in first she don't do nothing less then jeaulous but after i bet she will impose but in that case josh can't be already there... so friends and fans like me of castle don't worry the writers and marlow are knowing what theyare doing..it will be fun i bet i am waiting...

McDuplessis

[3]Jun 15, 2011
    It took me a while to decipher all that you were saying josebadboypt...But I think that I agree with you in that a female captain will shake things up and also we need to see more of a response from Kate because right now it seems like Castle's the one doing all the work with no real pay off...Yes he was the one that had to prove himself as a worthy partner for Beckett "professionally" as well as romantically and we've seen him do this dozens of times "but it can't be all in vain", we need a stronger response from Beckett...And if it takes a female captain to be the catalyst for that then I'm all for it...

josebadboypt

[4]Jun 16, 2011
    • level: 4

sorry my english you understand very well, it was that i mean indeed .. thank you

yutg25

[5]Jun 27, 2011
    • level: 5

After Montgomery died I suspected a woman would replace him. I don't know why. (Well actually I thought Beckett would be promoted first.) I think there is fear that Castle will have a wandering eye. It would be interesting and/or Beckett will butt heads with another strong female character. Its like Natalie Rhodes and FBI woman put together. In the end though go Caskette.

McDuplessis

[6]Jun 29, 2011

Other news was that at first the new captain was going to be in her 40's a bit of a task master, politically minded and quite flirtatious...Now we're hearing she's going to someone of colour and in her 50's...So I'll guess we'll be surprised when they eventually cast the new captain...

VConn

[7]Jun 30, 2011
    • level: 17

McDuplessis wrote:

So I'm sure most of you have heard by now that the new captain is going to be Female...Admittedly I was rooting for this scenario I just think there are more interesting variables at play if the next captain is female...What do you guys think about this and also who should get the nod???....I've seen on twitter that some folks have thrown around Elizabeth Mitchell former Lost alum as well as Gina Torres but those are mostly the Firefly fanatics as well as Amanda Tapping whom I know nothing about....Out of those three I think I like Elizabeth Mitchell best we already know that she can cause a dare I say "rift" between a dynamic duo (Jack & Kate - Lost)....So we know she has acting chops for such a scene...Should the "female captain of the 12th" be a thorn in Beckett's side or a thorn in Castle and Beckett's side or just be in the background with not a lot of screen time...

One other thing that just occurred to me won't this technically be Castle's last Nikki Heat novel...In season 2 he got a deal for 3 more books excluding the first one he wrote so makes it 3 so far with 1 more left....Wonder how the writers are going to address that situation, could be only in season 5 maybe if we're so lucky as to get a renewal....

Let me know your thoughts...

While the FIREFLY fan in me would love to see Gina Torres take the job I doubt it'd work because she'd have to be way more involved than a Captain would need to be in order to be effective and entertaining so I'd rule her out, As for Amanda Tapping that is just plain ridiculous, She is kind of busy with her own stuff not to mention a full-time acting gig on SANCTUARY so there'd be no way she could do it unless she somehow managed to clone herself or gain access to time travel technology.

CjTl2005

[8]Jul 8, 2011
    • level: 11
    How about CCH Pounder? She was terrific in The Shield. She might be older than they really want, but she brings a certain intensity to the game. I'm guessing even if they did want her, she might turn it down since she's already done this type of show.

McDuplessis

[9]Jul 13, 2011

This just in -

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Castle-New-Captain-Penny-Johnson-1035235.aspx

Penny Johnson former 24 alum...Described as a no-nonsensecareer driven boss that may not look to kindly on the Castle/Beckett partnership (at first)...

CjTl2005

[10]Jul 13, 2011
    • level: 11
    I haven't seen her in anything since 24. The character of Sherry Palmer was a clinic on how to be devious and insidious. Penny was terrific in that role. It will be nice to see her (hopefully) in a more honorable context. Admittedly, I was a little uneasy about a female captain. I just didn't want it to be a typical full of herself with something to prove b-word. But now I look forward to it. My initial reaction to this is that it's a great decision.

blackmage8472

[11]Jul 16, 2011
    • level: 15

Heh, I was watching an episode of Deep Space with her in it when I heard this news.

SheWhoTangles

[12]Jul 17, 2011
    • level: 7

It sounds like they've added in someone who has to be against the Beckett/Castle relationship automatically because of her history in Internal Affairs. I can't imagine anyone from IA wanting an outsider privy to the insides of the 12th.

I'm hoping Castle's buddy the mayor is forcing the issue to really annoy her, and I'm hoping her career climbing desires might include some attempted interference by the dragon too. Would like to see a conflicted boss while she's conflicting them. I don't remember her from Deep Space because I haven't seen it in so long, but from what I've heard she can do the role some serious justice. I'm still hesitant but curious.

abmas17

[13]Jul 23, 2011
    • level: 6

Casting Penny Johnson Jerald definitely hints at the new captain being "tough". I can see her being against Beckett/Castle Dynamic Duo in the precinct especially because of the romantic feelings that at this point neither of them can truly deny. I would like to see Beckett defend wanting to have Castle around and stand up for his role in the precinct if she needs to.

pretty_sure

[14]Jul 28, 2011
    • level: 38

I dont know if i'm really gonna watch this season. Part of the fun of castle is how is is welcomed at the precinct and get get away with anything, but withthis new captain im not sure this will be the same

McDuplessis

[15]Jul 29, 2011
    Well according to what I've read...She'll be a bit tough on everyone but after a while she'll prove herself an ally, so that seems ok....Plus how much action does the captain really get anyway...It may make Beckett be more protective of Castle if her Captain is initially against the unorthodox partnership, can't say I won't be happy with that scenario...

pretty_sure

[16]Jul 30, 2011
    • level: 38

McDuplessis wrote:
    Well according to what I've read...She'll be a bit tough on everyone but after a while she'll prove herself an ally, so that seems ok....Plus how much action does the captain really get anyway...It may make Beckett be more protective of Castle if her Captain is initially against the unorthodox partnership, can't say I won't be happy with that scenario...

That's true, she could be the thing that finally pushes Castle and Beckett together. But I also think they need to be careful, an interview with the exec. producers they said that Castle's no longer welcome with open arms at the presicnt, and I think thats where they might have a problem, people don't want to see Castle be mistreated. She will automatically be disliked for that, I will watch the premiere, gotta find out if my favorite charaters gonna be ok, but It's ok for the new captian to be a no-nonscene captian, I just hope that wont be the main point of the episodes

CrazyAsian1080

[17]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 7
    I like Penny Johnson Jerald and she does a good job. I just hope she doesn't turn out to be evil or super by the book/hard nosed just so they have tension at the office. I really hope she turns out to be like Agent Jordan Shaw but a bit more by the book.