Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: 47 Seconds 4x19 (Mar 26)

TesserT

[1]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 76
    Let's discuss Monday's episode 47 Seconds here. Enjoy!

from ABC.go.com: When a bomb kills five people at a protest rally, Beckett and Castle try to solve the case by reconstructing the 47 seconds prior to the explosion.

Check out the promo over at ABC.com Gone in a Flash! Why did you plant that bomb?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustAnnW

[2]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 5

It's about an hour before the ep. where I am.I'm hoping for a good one! Kate's secret's OUT! From the promo, Castle says "I've been thinking ..." My guess is, since he heardBeckett tell the suspect she remembers about being shot, Castle is finishes his sentence with an excuse about why he has to leave for a while - like a book tour or something. He's going to try to distance himself from Kate.

JustAnnW

[4]Mar 26, 2012

It's about an hour before the ep. where I am.I'm hoping for a good one! Kate's secret's OUT! From the promo, Castle says "I've been thinking ..." My guess is, since he heardBeckett tell the suspect she remembers about being shot, Castle is finishes his sentence with an excuse about why he has to leave for a while - like a book tour or something. He's going to try to distance himself from Kate.

wildhoney66

[5]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 13

1stly how many times didja have to post that? 2ndly i guess you were wrong apparently. i think it was a great episode but it did surprise me that "Castle" didn't say anything to "Beckett" at all about what he found out. on the IMDB boards people are saying that he is acting like a little kid. hence immature. & that is him mom was of no help. not telling them what they wanted her to tell him i think.

well 1stly i don't think his mom was of no help, she helped as best as she could, he also was shown NOT to really say much either. you could tell he was pissed. & i think she realized this & gave up on trying to get him to say anything. & therefore supported his decision as best as she could.

& honestly i think that is realistic as well. plus how else could you really think anything else after he heard all that? & though i think he SHOULD have confronted her about it. but NOT at the precient though. at a bar or somewhere. though i was kinda waiting for the guys to tell her that they sent him to watch the interview. but i can't say the guys knew what she said during that interview. i guess he just left the station.

though i didn't expect him to be rushing out with some woman according to next weeks episode. yea i know it's only the build up the the end of the season. that's why i'm not totally pissed off that 'Castle" kept quiet. this honestly had enough story developement that it felt like it was a 2 parter! he he. anyways what do you guys & gals think?

BarryWeen3

[6]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 14

I agree that Castle's reaction is not suprising and is an honest one.

The first season built up their chemistry. The second season Castle realizes what he might be feeling for Kate but she has the robbery detective boyfriend and Dr. Motorcycle man in the third season while he reunites with Gina for a while. So there's just some bad timing there. But once things start rolling on Beckett's mom's murder case and especially third season's two-parter where they almost died in each other's arms pushed Castle to declare his love for Kate at the season finale.

When he thought she didn't hear him, he was willing to wait for her knowing her character and the emotional walls she built up since her mother's death.

So to hear her say that she remembered everything, of course he feels betrayed that she didn't give him the courtesy of an answer one way or the other.

We know he's going to distance himself from her emotionally but he's going to still do the job because as he told his mother, he feels what he's doing is making a difference, and this attitude was obviously inspired by his conversation with Alexis when she explains that her current job is more fulfilling than any of the grades or awards she had gotten previously.

As for Martha, yes I think she was supporting her son in general but I also think she had to be also proud in his declaration that even though he knows what he knows about Kate, he's still going to do the job for the victims he's helping.

We've got 4 more episodes to go and the promos for next week's episode do look interesting. Gotta also wonder, Castle feels betrayed about Kate lying about remembering, but Castle is also keeping information from her in regards to her mother's case as a means of protecting her after she got shot. Wondering if that will be brought up before this season is over.

Anathemic

[7]Mar 27, 2012

I think they are doing it wrong. But the good news is, they will make aconfrontationscene, the bad news is we have to wait for it.

A lot time has passed since Beckett was shot and we deserved >something< good to happen between them, but no. He had to find out about her not saying anything. The longer they drag this romantic tension between them, their tension will fade more in eyes of viewers. I can say I really wanted them to get together and was excited about their relationship, but now...I don't care anymore. It's like the moment passed between them. There is only some amount of time people can wait, and then the moment passes...

Nat6386

[8]Mar 27, 2012
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

We've got 4 more episodes to go and the promos for next week's episode do look interesting. Gotta also wonder, Castle feels betrayed about Kate lying about remembering, but Castle is also keeping information from her in regards to her mother's case as a means of protecting her after she got shot. Wondering if that will be brought up before this season is over.

that is all i think about.. I mean they were BOTH lying to each other, but i think castle finding out and not telling her makes it worse on him, cause he knows her secret and still has his own.... it will definitely cause a confrontational scene, but i dont think it will be a good one...

I think Marlowe, who said he wanted them together earlier on, is pushing the boundaries of the tension, i still love watching it but heading into season 5 and substantially we have nothing, its bordering to close to the ruins of bones!

having said that, I actually like the way castle is sticking around, id prefer he told her but if not at least he is smart enough and responsible to put victims before himself i actually thought he would leave after the case... just another step of castle's growth...

Can't wait for next episode, the summary seems to hint that beckett may make a move....

Jemadari

[9]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 12

While I enjoyed the episode, it didn't quite hit the spot, kind of like watching a werewolf in a cage, impressive in it's own right but far better to have it eviscerating children or tearing the throats out of nuns, as always i'm digressing to my happy place

Initially I felt Castle's response could have been "better?" but thinking back on it he poured his heart out and she was content to pretend nothing happened which comes across as a punch to the solar plexus(with brass knuckles), a kick in the balls and a slap in the face all at once

Martha's counsel could have been a bit more broad, can't quite put it into words(me with no words, weird, I know) but there was a lot of wisdom and prospective I would have expected someone of her years and theatrical inclinations to have bestowed on situation

Crowning moment for me was Alexis actively working to more than just the manner born

wildhoney66

[10]Mar 27, 2012

well i read somewhere that the finale is going to bring back her mom's murder. so my guess is his secret will come out than. in short they my guess from what i read are going to confront each other. pretty much like they do every damn season. he he. but i dunno i think "Martha"

could have gave him better advice. but when it comes to say your son you don't always know what to say. plus she has dated a LOT. & really is'nt the type of person to give the best of advice. so i think she did as best as she could. to be honest if i was her i dunno what i would have said either. i thought he would have been nuts to go back there. but she knew she couldn't change his mind on that.

i guess he just snapped. on the IMDB boards some people are saying that she could have said that to get a perp to talk. or something like that.& some are saying the show is getting bad. i don't think it is at all. not yet anyways. while i don't want to wait until season 6 well the end of it anyways for them to get together. it also is not not surprising that if they do hook up this season. it will be the finale. cause for one the ratings will go wild that nite. as for "Alexis" i loved her in this episode. i hope she stays working there with 'Lanie' or however ya spell her name?

JonathonWolf

[11]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 10

I think Martha gave him the right advice for the situation. She admits never really liking that Castle hangs out at the police station all the time. She also recognizes that Beckett is the major reason he does. It's been a recurring conversation between the two. She also kind of gets how he sees his work as a consultant as doing something more. But, if a friend were in his situation in real life, everyone would tell him to quit. It's been years, and she nothing has happened. That's a long time to be pining for someone that may or may not return your interest. And Rick came to the only logical conclusion for lying about remembering everything: she's afraid of losing him if she admits to not loving him back. We know how she really feels because we are near-omniscient entities that also know sexual tension makes great drama. If Kate wanted something to happen, it would have happened by now. She's dated at least two guys in the time she started working with Castle, so a reasonable conclusion is that she's just not into him like that.

wodell51

[12]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 1

I have loved Castle since the first episode and never thought I would say this, but I'm getting tired of the writers fear of bringing Castle and Beckett into a relationship. They are dragging this out just like the writers on Bones did (once one of my favorite shows, I quit watching Bones almost two seasons ago). I read a quote from Andrew Marlowe approximately two seasons ago in which he stated that if you drag these type of relationships out too long without bringing them together, the audience starts to think of them more as being in a brother/sister relationship. I think he is coming dangerously close to that condition even now!

Edited on 03/27/2012 5:01pm
    Edited 3 total times.

welnoc

[13]Mar 27, 2012
    • level: 9

Beckett may have pretended she didn't hear Castle's profession of love because she just wasn't ready then but she's also been giving out a lot of clues telling him that her feelings are changing and yet Castle has been entirely (forgive me) clueless.

And there's the Captain complimenting him on being so quick on the uptake. The inconsistencies are getting very annoying.

He's a great big hypocrite to be so offended by that lie when he knows she's had trouble with commitment and he's been lying to her as well.

wildhoney66

[14]Mar 27, 2012

while i do think they should hook them up, i always think it's funny how when it comes to shows having a will they or won't they, how you will find people wanting certain characters together. & others who don't. i know it doesn't always work in some shows. but if the writing is good like i think it has been so far. regardless if they hook them up people will be complaining no matter what. an example would be the actress who plays 'Bones" "Emily D." when she goes to conventions each year always asked the audience if they want the characters to get together. half of them would yell yes, the other half would yell no.

another example is the show "Friends" with "Ross & Rachel" the writing was good to put those 2 together. yet they pulled them apart after a year or so. than the rest of the series it kept the will they or won't they & it wasn't until the series finale where they got back together for good.

even the creators have since said that they broke them apart to soon. my point is that the show was still a hit. & pretty much stayed good until the end. & yea that show has better seasons than others but that's any show really. anyways, i hate this time of year when it comes to certain show like "Castle" cause this show is so damn addicting & i need my weekly fix! he he & let me add this, the people here actually sound a LOT more reasonable than the peeps at the "IMDB" boards that's for sure. more mature too

BarryWeen3

[15]Mar 27, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

while i do think they should hook them up, i always think it's funny how when it comes to shows having a will they or won't they, how you will find people wanting certain characters together. & others who don't. i know it doesn't always work in some shows. but if the writing is good like i think it has been so far. regardless if they hook them up people will be complaining no matter what. an example would be the actress who plays 'Bones" "Emily D." when she goes to conventions each year always asked the audience if they want the characters to get together. half of them would yell yes, the other half would yell no.

another example is the show "Friends" with "Ross & Rachel" the writing was good to put those 2 together. yet they pulled them apart after a year or so. than the rest of the series it kept the will they or won't they & it wasn't until the series finale where they got back together for good.

even the creators have since said that they broke them apart to soon. my point is that the show was still a hit. & pretty much stayed good until the end. & yea that show has better seasons than others but that's any show really. anyways, i hate this time of year when it comes to certain show like "Castle" cause this show is so damn addicting & i need my weekly fix! he he & let me add this, the people here actually sound a LOT more reasonable than the peeps at the "IMDB" boards that's for sure. more mature too

Just a slight tangent.

Your reference to Friends in terms of the Ross and Rachel coupling, I was initially interested in them getting together, but after a while all their obstacles and other relationships in between their breakups and the finale, I actually ended up more interested in primarily in Monica and Chandler who they hooked up gradually, let them develop and never went the route that they took with Rachel and Ross.

The Monica-Chandler relationship, I think, was the more interesting one on the show with the combination of both of their neuroses. I also was rooting more for Phoebe and Mike than Ross and Rachel. There was just way too much drama in that relationship.

Still the show Friends was great, Friends along with I Love Lucy are two of my favorite comedies that I think stand the test of time. I periodically rewatch both of them and they're still funny as ever.

Okay, off my tangent now...

wodell51

[16]Mar 27, 2012

It may be true that on many shows people are divided on whether they want certain characters in a relationship, but I think the chemistry between Castle and Beckett is such that most fans of the show want them together. If you watch video of the Castle panel at Paleyfest 2012 (available on Hulu) the audience seems to be overwhelmingly in favor of getting the two of them together anytime the topic is brought up.

Edited on 03/27/2012 7:36pm
    Edited 2 total times.

wodell51

[17]Mar 27, 2012

I couldn't agree more. The Monica-Chandler relationshipwas the most satisfying on the show. The Ross-Rachel relationship was too volatile to be enjoyable (on and off too often).

wildhoney66

[18]Mar 27, 2012

well that's true for when it comes to 'Friends' but they i guess had to have one couple with a crap load of drama for entertainment i guess.

either way it didn't destory the show regardless if they were together or not. & i don't think it'd hurt the show at all when it comes to "Castle"

cause it looks like to me that we got great writers that prolly have done stuff that hasn't worked & some that has. the only reason well one of the reasons they did all that in this episode was to get more viewers since the finale is coming up soon. as for me, i normally don't start watching a show than stop if i don't like what's happening. i try to stick around until the end. take "Lost" there was a season i think was terrible i forget which one season 3 maybe? but i stuck around until the end.

& as for "I Love Lucy" i never can get into that show. i have nothing against it at all. i just can't seem to get into it. it has nothing to do with the era either cause i LOVE 1950's tv shows. i guess either your are a "Lucy" fan or you aren't. though i do like the actress

oz_island

[19]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 12
    I get Castle's reaction, but I didn't like it for a number of reasons:

1) It took Beckett getting shot for him to tell her how he feels.
    2) He's been keeping something from her all this time too.
    3) He literally went crying to his mommy about it.
    4) He turned into a passive agressive idiot about it.

I understand that he's hurt, but I thought it was an over reaction. What's interesting is that the conversation he and Kate had at the beginning of the season about how Kate didn't think she could be in a real relationship until her mother's case was resolved probably took on a whole new meaning for Castle. Instead of Kate saying I just need you to wait for me it may have seemed to Castle like she was stringing him along all this time. Even with that though I think it was an over reaction on Castle's part.

wodell51

[20]Mar 28, 2012
    I agree. Andrew Marlowe has stated in interviews that this was the season for Castle to mature. His reation was like his old childish self instead of the suposedly more mature current version.