Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: 47 Seconds 4x19 (Mar 26)

kanniballl

[21]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 18

Eh, I can buy it. Had she said "I don't have those same feelings, can't we still be friends/partners" it would be one thing. But pretending it didn't happen CAN appear to some as not at least respecting their feelings.

As far as Castle's secret, well he's doing it to protect her. She's only safe if she doesn't investigate any more... and by safe I mean NO FLIPPIN' HIGH-PAID ASSASSINS coming after her. And of course not risking the lives/safety of those around her.

It's not a great thing he's doing, but their a life-saving reason.

Though in Kate's defense, she's probably trying to save the both of them the pain of a (potentially) failed relationship and thus the end of their friendship/partnership.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JonathonWolf

[22]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 10
    kanniballl wrote:

Eh, I can buy it. Had she said "I don't have those same feelings, can't we still be friends/partners" it would be one thing. But pretending it didn't happen CAN appear to some as not at least respecting their feelings.

As far as Castle's secret, well he's doing it to protect her. She's only safe if she doesn't investigate any more... and by safe I mean NO FLIPPIN' HIGH-PAID ASSASSINS coming after her. And of course not risking the lives/safety of those around her.

It's not a great thing he's doing, but their a life-saving reason.

Though in Kate's defense, she's probably trying to save the both of them the pain of a (potentially) failed relationship and thus the end of their friendship/partnership.

To elaborate a bit on your point, there is a very big difference between the secret Castle is keeping versus Kate lying about remembering everything. Castle's silence is part of the agreement to keep Kate from being killed in addition to keeping her from investigating her mom's case. Beckett's secret just keeps Castle's ego safe.

There's also all the things that have gone on since her shooting. She spent months not talking to Castle at all afterwards, she claimed not to remember anything when she could have just said it was hazy, and she hasn't shown any change in her relationship with Castle due to her near-death and thinking Castle had been killed in the bank robbery. As a writer, Castle is used to getting into the heads of his characters; and he does this with an understanding of psychology and behavior. It's one of the things that makes him an asset during investigations. It also means he has thought of just about every possible reason for why Beckett would be acting towards him like this and settled on the more reasonable possibilities. "Reality is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense."

oz_island

[23]Mar 29, 2012
    • level: 12
    I get that there is a difference between the secret that Castle is keeping and the one that Kate is keeping. But now Castle is keeping the fact that he knows that she remembers to himself too, and instead of just sitting down and talking about it like two adults, he's acting like a 10 year old. Out of all the choices he had about how to deal with this, they have him choose the most hypocritical choice.

I'm sure this will likely be resolved quickly as I don't see Beckett putting up with the passive aggressive crap for long, but it was disappointing the writers went this direction.

kanniballl

[24]Mar 29, 2012
    • level: 18

oz_island wrote:
    I get that there is a difference between the secret that Castle is keeping and the one that Kate is keeping. But now Castle is keeping the fact that he knows that she remembers to himself too, and instead of just sitting down and talking about it like two adults, he's acting like a 10 year old. Out of all the choices he had about how to deal with this, they have him choose the most hypocritical choice. I'm sure this will likely be resolved quickly as I don't see Beckett putting up with the passive aggressive crap for long, but it was disappointing the writers went this direction.

Eh, I agree with that too. It would be one thing if he was just sulking, but his little jabs here and there were childish... such as when they first met after he found out.

Then again, we all act stupid when we're upset. Of all the things running through his head he might be wondering: is she stringing me along, does she not respect me enough to tell me the truth, does she really not like me at all and I was mis-reading stuff, is she just using me as a free cop, etc.

If I were in his shoes, it would be a tough call.

In my situations, if it was just some woman that I liked who pretended she didn't hear/remember me saying I love you in such a big way... I might want to politely confront her about it. And chances are by the end of the conversation we'd go our seperate ways.

But Castle digs her friendship AND working with the cops. BOTH of those things would probably end afterwards. It's hard to roll the dice on something like that, when the odds of having to go yourseparateways are so high.

I imagine though they'll have a "chat" about it, but it might be the season finale

Edited on 03/29/2012 10:35am
    Edited 3 total times.

wildhoney66

[25]Mar 29, 2012
    • level: 13

yes that's what i heard like i said that is what's going to happen. i can live with him being pissed off about it. yes he's got a secret too.

but like a few of you said it's to protect her. even though "Beckett" may not look at it that way. since the last one is from my understanding well the finale about her mom's murder. that'll come out. what i don't like is that by the looks of it he's going back to his old ways. if that is the case which to be fair we are only going by the previews, than that is 'Bones" territory where "Bones" would have a LOT of character development than

move back a HUGE leap. that i don't like. but i'm trying to be patient & all that. but i do get that he's backing away from her a bit.

shoestring25

[26]Apr 3, 2012
    • level: 2

this whole season has been a disappointment with hardly any outstanding episodes. any way this one really to the biscuit its the way castle reacted when he found out becket knew what he said he got all angry and childish about it exactly the opposite of the way he reacted at the end of season 2 when he found out about kate and demming. all this time castles been a good guy and for him to act like that was totally ridiculous and out of character and made him look like a jerk. the viewers like castle and want kate to see him for the nice guy he is but now hes not nice and is being quite vindictive and petty shes would be better of without him

the writers messed it up big time

BarryWeen3

[27]Apr 3, 2012
    • level: 14

Exactly how should he have reacted? Taken the high road again like you said with Demming? Kate's had to deal with what, Gina only. Castle had Demming and Dr. Motorcyle Boy. Then when she was shot, he declared his love. She lied to him about not remembering, so he waited for her to be ready. He didn't want to rush her, knowing her as well as he did. Then he finds out that she knew what he said.

Exactly how long was he suppose to wait? I think he's reacting fine. He's a bit angry and he's a bit petty, he's entitled to that. He decided he would still help out because he enjoyed helping people. So he's moved on, what is he suppose to do at this point?

Sorry, I think he's reacting realistically.

Edited on 04/04/2012 7:08pm
    Edited 2 total times.

wildhoney66

[28]Apr 3, 2012

i agree, but they should have him at least put any good info on the case. yea he kinda came through & helped at the end at last nite's episode. but that doesn't mean i liked the way they went i didn't. i also agree with the writers have put "Castle" through more in the terms of "Kate" than they have written for her. so she's finally getting to see how much he means to her.

it's a nice switch i gotta admit. but as long as they fess up in say the finale & the writers don't pull them even further way. than i guess i can live with having to wait for that ya know? so no i don't blame him for moving on. or trying to anyways. i think it is written realistic as well.

i'm curious on what the guys have to say about it though, since i don't think he confides that kinda stuff with them. they at some point prolly will figure it out.

JonathonWolf

[29]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 10
    She should already know how much he means to her. She thought he'd died in the explosion at the bank. That entire episode should have told her how much he means to her.

wildhoney66

[30]Apr 5, 2012

i'm not denying that. if it was real life, i think that would be a given. but this is tv land where they take ages sometimes to fully realize how much they mean to them. but if you also recall in that one episode when asked if she's in love with him, she had no answer cause she hadn't yet realized it my guess is or even admitted it to herself. keep in mind i can't remember if that aired before that hostage episode or not.

or after it. & it REALLY SUCKS that we have to wait 2 weeks for another new one. cause the 9th is a repeat.

NiallB31

[31]Jun 22, 2012
    • level: 8

Firstly, when the Bomb went off, it scared the life out of me. Didn't expect it that early.

Anyway, 47 Seconds was an amazing episode. It really shook things up for us. Since the premiere I was waiting for Castle to find out Kate knew and after 18 episodes it happened. But Castles reaction was not what I expected. I thought he would hae said something, but I cant wait to see where it goes from here. Im glad it happened in this episode and not a few episodes earlier. I think it will work better for the remaining episodes of the season.

And the case of the week, I really enjoyed it. It was different and I loved how Castle changed his attitude towards Kate after he found out. And it was nice to finally see Gates have more than a page of dialogue. She has been underused this season and this episode really showed that she is useful and can do more than come in at the begining and end of the episode to deliver lines. I really hope that in season 5 (and the remaining season 4 episodes) we get to dig deeper into her background and family and we get to see more of her.

Castle seems to be getting better every season. Throwing out amazing episodes to us and keeping us coming back for more Castle-Beckett banter. 47 Seconds perfect episode 10/10, in my opinion.