Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: A Deadly Game 2x24 (May 17)

TesserT

[1]May 13, 2010
    • level: 81
    Let's discuss Monday's Season 2 Finale A Deadly Game here.

Check out the promo & spy sneak over at ABC.com. Everything is a gamble!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

uk18flashback

[2]May 14, 2010
    • level: 4

I would love a really good cliffhanger to end the season (because we all know there is going to be a 3rd season) but did the writers give us some kind of closure in the finale or just give us a little and make us want more i.e Castle and Kate.

Meaghanlr92

[3]May 16, 2010
    I really can't wait to see this episode after seeing all of the sneak peeks. And Canada is showing it at 7 pm Atlantic, so I won't have to stay up late

shoestring25

[4]May 16, 2010
    • level: 2

i would suspect it will be a cliffhanger becuse thats what they did at the end of season 1

BarryWeen3

[5]May 16, 2010
    • level: 14
    shoestring25 wrote:

i would suspect it will be a cliffhanger becuse thats what they did at the end of season 1

That wasn't that much of a cliffhanger with him confessing what he was doing behind Beckett's back, not as much as Beckett's apartment exploding in Tick,Tick,Tick...

Starprincess13

[6]May 16, 2010
    • level: 24

Meaghanlr92 wrote:
    I really can't wait to see this episode after seeing all of the sneak peeks. And Canada is showing it at 7 pm Atlantic, so I won't have to stay up late

Me too. It's also good because it is airing the new episode of Castle and then the new episode of CSI Miami (both earlier than their usual times) which means that I can watch both of them that night instead of watching CSI Miami and recording Castle to watch the next day. I'm thrilled that I discovered this the other day.

Meaghanlr92

[7]May 17, 2010
    Starprincess13 wrote:

Meaghanlr92 wrote:

Me too. It's also good because it is airing the new episode of Castle and then the new episode of CSI Miami (both earlier than their usual times) which means that I can watch both of them that night instead of watching CSI Miami and recording Castle to watch the next day. I'm thrilled that I discovered this the other day.

Well, I'm a little confused with air times, because I saw a commercial that said 7 pm, the website says 11 pm, and the guide on my TV says it's on at 8 pm. I guess I'll just have to see.

Starprincess13

[8]May 17, 2010
    • level: 24

Meaghanlr92 wrote:
    Starprincess13 wrote:

Meaghanlr92 wrote:

Well, I'm a little confused with air times, because I saw a commercial that said 7 pm, the website says 11 pm, and the guide on my TV says it's on at 8 pm. I guess I'll just have to see.

The guide thing on my tv is almost always right and it says that it will be on in less than 15 minutes so I'm hoping its right. I don't want to have to record it and watch it tomorrow as I usually do.

Auriken

[9]May 17, 2010
    • level: 9

Have we thought up a name for them yet? Kastle?

MacaroniCheese

[10]May 17, 2010
    • level: 3
    Ahh, that ending made me sad! Poor Kate!

NYYNYG

[11]May 17, 2010
    • level: 8

Wow! What an unoriginal ending. It was like something straight out of Friends. How dissapointing for such a clever show.

XtahBX

[12]May 17, 2010

They can still keep the sexual tension going even if they are together. It's just who the two characters are. Can you imagine what they could have done with that bondage episode had they been together? I'm going to really hate it if they keep them apart for very long even though both the characters know they like each other. It'll turn really awkward, just like the first part of season 3 of chuck and in some ways bones right now.

Other than the end, however, the episode was great. I actually thought they were going together and I loved it.

miss_wierd

[13]May 17, 2010
    • level: 13

Poor Kate! So Castle is going to be gone all summer but will be back in the fall! The episode was great!!! And that spy games is a real website!

http://www.spy-games.com/home.html

Wow!

nolefan32

[14]May 17, 2010
    • level: 11
    A pretty decent episode, though not nearly as good as the high point of the series, which was Tick Tick/Boom. I do give them props that the writers are trying to break their habit of having the killer turn out to be one of the first people interviewed, this time we never even met the killer until he/she was unmasked (trying not to say too much so I don't spoil anyone making the mistake of visiting before they see the episode, since a lot of people haven't yet). So much credit to the writers for trying to do some things to get out of that rut.

I also like how there were several twists throughout the episode regarding the whole spy thing, like the introduction of "the Ukrainians." I do think the episode was poorly titled, in that the very name of the episode gives away that the guy wasn't really a spy (apparently one of the writers has seen Total Recall or The Game one too many times). It did seem at points as if the guy who was pretending to be a spy had somehow stumbled into honest-to-God spy activity going on, and that's what got him killed - it would have been an interesting and fun twist had that been the case, and so in that sense, the unmasking of the real killer was a bit of a let down because it was so mundane, in stark contrast to the fantasy and adventure of the rest of the episode.

For a season finale, it was kind of weak, though. That song at the end was so cheesy and didn't seem to add much at all, not to mention that the whole Kate-is-finally-ready-to-admit-her-feelings-but-Castle-is-with-someone-else was so Ross and Rachel from friends. Kate and Castle work off each other so very well and have great chemistry, hence the reason we all tune in every week, but these writers can be so mediocre sometimes - they just can't seem to rise above the cliches.

I've also noticed that Castle's relationship with his daughter and mother don't seem to parallel the cases as much as they did for a while. I kind of liked that, it was subtle but it was a nice touch. Sort of like how Joss Whedon would frequently have the monster of the week on Buffy the Vampire Slayer be a personification of whatever it was that Buffy and her friends were dealing with in regular life. When Martha and Alexis aren't doing something that somehow parallels the case, they tend to feel like window-dressing in the episode, and that's how they seemed to be here. They feel more integral to the episode when they're doing something that helps give Castle some sort of insight into how to solve the case.

I also liked that we had the poker game back. That's an element I'd really love to see more of. In fact, I think that would be a cool element to have every episode, if they can get the other writers that frequently. Too frequently, it doesn't seem to be important that Castle is a writer, he ends up feeling too much like a novice detective new to the force (in fact, too often it seems like the only reason Castle is a writer is so that the show's writers can have Beckett saying catty things about Nikki Heat), but when we have the writers' poker game, they sit around discussing the case and deconstructing it as only writers can do, and then the tone of the show changes because we can see Castle approaching the case not as a detective but as a writer with a writer's perspective. The show is at it's best structurally when Beckett works the case like a detective, and Rick works the case like a writer, and we get to see distinct differences in the approach, but that seems to happen best when Rick's at the card game with the other writers. I guess that's just another area where the show's writers show us that they aren't that talented, and what drives the show is the chemistry between the actors.

And now that the second season is over, for the third season, I hope we don't see a lot of Beckett moping over Castle or getting pissy about him spending the summer with his ex - if this takes too much of a soap opera turn next season, I don't know that I'll be able to stomach it. I wouldn't mind more of an emphasis on a seasonal arc, some bigger storyline that runs for the whole season - we got a hint there might be that, with Beckett's mother's murder, but they only trot it out for an episode or so and then put it back into the closet. I'm reminded of the short-lived Women's Murder Club, which had a different case every week but then there was the Kiss Me Not Killer which cast a shadow over the whole show; for the Bones fans, there was the one season with the Widow's Son killer, referenced in some form in nearly every episode from the time he was introduced to the time he was killed (unlike Howard Epps, which was more akin to Beckett's mother's murderer, mentioned only in the handful of episodes that specifically dealt with him), even though most episodes were still not about him. Something of that nature would be excellent for keeping Castle and Beckett together as partners but distracted enough that they wouldn't have to deal with their personal baggage.

Also for the third season, I hope they change up that little clip at the beginning. I get why it's there and it does do a nice job of introducing newbies to the fundamentals of the show in less than a minute, but having Castle and Beckett say their names a hundred times each gets very, very annoying, especially at the beginning of every episode.

nolefan32

[15]May 17, 2010
    • level: 11

NYYNYG wrote:

Wow! What an unoriginal ending. It was like something straight out of Friends. How dissapointing for such a clever show.

I agree with you about the Friends-esque ending (and said as much in my post I was busy writing while you were posting at the same time), but you lose me when you refer to the show as "clever". Except for moments every so often when the show really surprises me, it tends to be very clich├ęd and I'm convinced the writers just aren't all that good. What saves the show every week is that Nathan and Stana are just that good together and so very much fun to watch, not to mention Nathan and Molly (though Molly is in such a small part of each episode that I don't give her much credit for why it's a worthy watch, that honor belongs strictly to Nathan and Stana). "Clever" is a show like Warehouse 13.

sherv22

[16]May 17, 2010

Sigh. Oh, Castle. You should really stop going to those poker games.

Though, it's not unexpected; the rules of the UST game are, no one gets together until both parties realize they should be together at some point, which of course can't come at the same time or at any time where the other party is conveniently single. It's how the game is played. They've both hit the realization milestone, so the clock's now ticking...

And I do agree, now that they've both been into lovelorn mode, next season is when it needs to happen, else you end up dragging it out and viewers start getting disgusted because you've started the Love Machine and it needs to move forward. I love Chuck, but they started their Love Machine much earlier, as far as season one, and they dragged things on too long to the middle of season three to resolve it (awesome resolution though). I'd say the last couple eps is Castle starting up the machine where both Beckett and Castle clearly know what they feel, so the writers risk the relationship going overripe if they wait too long now, which would be a big problem for the show since the main attraction is, well, their attraction.

Edited on 05/17/2010 9:00pm

shoestring25

[17]May 17, 2010

agree with everybody here really the friends like ending was a rip off but then all the shows seam to follow similar ways now days the only thing that makes this slightly different is castle Nathan fallon makes him funny to watch at times and the banter between castle and Becket is great stuff.

yes the two parter tick tick boom was the season high point but i will be watching next season so bring on September

BarryWeen3

[18]May 17, 2010
    nolefan32 wrote:
    And now that the second season is over, for the third season, I hope we don't see a lot of Beckett moping over Castle or getting pissy about him spending the summer with his ex - if this takes too much of a soap opera turn next season, I don't know that I'll be able to stomach it. I wouldn't mind more of an emphasis on a seasonal arc, some bigger storyline that runs for the whole season - we got a hint there might be that, with Beckett's mother's murder, but they only trot it out for an episode or so and then put it back into the closet. I'm reminded of the short-lived Women's Murder Club, which had a different case every week but then there was the Kiss Me Not Killer which cast a shadow over the whole show; for the Bones fans, there was the one season with the Widow's Son killer, referenced in some form in nearly every episode from the time he was introduced to the time he was killed (unlike Howard Epps, which was more akin to Beckett's mother's murderer, mentioned only in the handful of episodes that specifically dealt with him), even though most episodes were still not about him. Something of that nature would be excellent for keeping Castle and Beckett together as partners but distracted enough that they wouldn't have to deal with their personal baggage.

Also for the third season, I hope they change up that little clip at the beginning. I get why it's there and it does do a nice job of introducing newbies to the fundamentals of the show in less than a minute, but having Castle and Beckett say their names a hundred times each gets very, very annoying, especially at the beginning of every episode.

That would have been the Gormorgon killer(s). I actually liked Howard Epps and more recently the Gravedigger more than the Gormorgon storyline. Probably because of how the Gormorgon storyline was abruptly resolved (due to the writer's strike).

zeldashiek

[19]May 17, 2010

After my long post about last week I will keep this short... YESSSSS! At least for now Demming hopefully is out of the picture and will die somehow before next season starts. I never want him on the show again. I feel bad for Kate but she hurt Castle first and Castle loves Beckett to much to not be with her.

Lastly, I do want them to get together. If the writers are any good they can make a story about that relationship and further the story. I mean they both would still be themselves even if they were together. Just do not ever pair them with any one else again. Either make them in a permanent relationship and further the story or just x files it and never pair them with anyone and just write a good crime show..... My opinion is pair them up now and they together forever.... stupid romantic side of me lol

sherv22

[20]May 17, 2010

If anything serious gonna happen for the relationship, just like any other show, it's not gonna happen until the season finale, so the real frustration is that it's gonna take another 20+ episodes to really go anywhere. (See: nearly every show with a romance ever made.)

My easy prediction: Beckett's gonna retreat into her shell when fall comes, and Castle's gonna come back somehow and not know what he did to get the treatment, or he'll still be with his ex and not notice. They're gonna be on awkward terms again just like this season's premiere, except the reasons won't disappear nearly as quickly this time.

Edited on 05/17/2010 9:29pm