Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: A Deadly Game 2x24 (May 17)

  • Avatar of EOBB

    EOBB

    [41]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 09/27/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 181

    After only one viewing, I have a different spin on the finale, which doesn't make it seem AS bad, at least in my mind. I don't like taking it at face value, because then it just seems very poorly written, and tres cliche.


    I think Castle realized that Beckett has feelings for him after he told her he was leaving, and she had that moment of awkwardness. I almost felt bad for her when Esposito walked in and she couldn't quite focus on what he was telling her about the case. I think that was Castle's lightbulb moment that made him think he might have a chance after all.


    Two random things I picked up on that might be important. Martha telling Castle that she can't just let Chet think she will always just be there waiting for him (after she told Castle about getting the part and going away for the summer).


    Another was when he told Alexis he wouldn't be alone for the summer. She asked who, and he said he doesn't kiss and tell. (I say, since when??) This may seem like some foreshadowing to him spending the summer with Gina, but I don't think so.


    I think he is playing a game. I know, you would think he would learn by now that those don't work with Kate. But..... I think going away with Gina was just a plan he concocted to turn the tables on Kate, and make her want him for herself. Maybe Gina knows what Kate means to him, and knows he will not be able to write, in the city or in the Hamptons,until things are resolved between them. Maybe Gina is helping Rick get Kate back, because she knows that Castle and Beckett, really are Rook and Heat, and that's where his inspiration comes from.


    Why would Gina come to the precinct? Castle wanted to make sure Beckett saw them together.


    He didn't know that she already broke it off with Deming, and I'm not sure he knew what she was trying to say before Gina arrived. Anyway, yes, it backfired. He could have had her, without the games.


    That's just my theory after watching last night. It may change after I view it again. I feel like I spent the whole episode watching Kate's reactions, and didn't really pay that much attention to Castle's.


    Oh, and the case.....lame......except for the pen, and Castle's reaction. That was pretty funny. It was even very weakly tied in to the whole Kate and Castle dilemma, which I was disappointed with, because that's one of the things I've been enjoying lately.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of nolefan32

    nolefan32

    [42]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 06/06/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 393

    EOBB wrote:


    After only one viewing, I have a different spin on the finale, which doesn't make it seem AS bad, at least in my mind. I don't like taking it at face value, because then it just seems very poorly written, and tres cliche.


    I think Castle realized that Beckett has feelings for him after he told her he was leaving, and she had that moment of awkwardness. I almost felt bad for her when Esposito walked in and she couldn't quite focus on what he was telling her about the case. I think that was Castle's lightbulb moment that made him think he might have a chance after all.


    Two random things I picked up on that might be important. Martha telling Castle that she can't just let Chet think she will always just be there waiting for him (after she told Castle about getting the part and going away for the summer).


    Another was when he told Alexis he wouldn't be alone for the summer. She asked who, and he said he doesn't kiss and tell. (I say, since when??) This may seem like some foreshadowing to him spending the summer with Gina, but I don't think so.


    I think he is playing a game. I know, you would think he would learn by now that those don't work with Kate. But..... I think going away with Gina was just a plan he concocted to turn the tables on Kate, and make her want him for herself. Maybe Gina knows what Kate means to him, and knows he will not be able to write, in the city or in the Hamptons,until things are resolved between them. Maybe Gina is helping Rick get Kate back, because she knows that Castle and Beckett, really are Rook and Heat, and that's where his inspiration comes from.


    Why would Gina come to the precinct? Castle wanted to make sure Beckett saw them together.


    He didn't know that she already broke it off with Deming, and I'm not sure he knew what she was trying to say before Gina arrived. Anyway, yes, it backfired. He could have had her, without the games.


    That's just my theory after watching last night. It may change after I view it again. I feel like I spent the whole episode watching Kate's reactions, and didn't really pay that much attention to Castle's.


    Oh, and the case.....lame......except for the pen, and Castle's reaction. That was pretty funny. It was even very weakly tied in to the whole Kate and Castle dilemma, which I was disappointed with, because that's one of the things I've been enjoying lately.


    You may very well be right, but I can't help but to think you're giving the writers way more credit than they deserve. I honestly don't think they're thinking that far in advance, and so what we saw we can take pretty much at face value.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Morspeed

    Morspeed

    [43]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 10/31/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 420

    I guess everyone saw that ending coming a mile away huh? I know I did. When I saw it was 10:52pm and we hadn't seen Castle's ex I figured what was going to happen. I'm verydisappointedin the ending. Not that I was expecting them to get together. I knew Castle was going to make a push, but I did not expect Beckett to be the one to push almost harder. Whatdisappointedme was the addition of ANOTHER love interest for Castle. That was by far the easiest cop out I have ever seen. They took the easy route and I doubt the writers can defend it.


    From a character point of view it's no ones fault. I don't blame Beckett or Castle for their actions. Beckett had valid reasons for being with Demming instead of Castle. Castle had a valid reason for getting together with his ex.


    Next season should be interesting. If Castle does come back in the Fall (which obviously he will) what would his reason be? Research? I think he's done enough of that. He doesn't really have a vested interest in the crimes, he doesn't get paid for this and at the end of this episode he appears to have moved on from Beckett. So what would possess him to go back?


    I expect the writers will try to make their relationship a little more strained and maybe confrontational. Maybe Beckett wants there to be more of a disconnect and really define work and private life. Who knows? At this point I'm actually not looking forward to the next season. We were promised a game changer and I really don't see this as one. Don't tell me that Beckett never really realized she had a thing for Castle. That was obvious to everyone from the beginning of the show. Same with Castle. Beckett wanting to be with Castle would have been a game changer if Gina didn't show up and put them right back to where they have always been.


    What would have been a game changer ending to me would have been when Castle's ex showed up Beckett (being the strong women that she is made to be) tells Castle that there is something she wants to talk to him about and asks that they speak in private. THEN cut to credits. Leave everyone guessing how season 3 is going to start.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shoestring25

    shoestring25

    [44]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 05/14/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 18

    the two things they have to sort out next season is how does castle get back to working with Becket? and how does the relationship mess castle has got him self into get sorted?



    if i was Becket i would go on holiday with demming anyway sod it

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of miss_wierd

    miss_wierd

    [45]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 04/25/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 920

    nolefan32 wrote:


    And now that the second season is over, for the third season, I hope we don't see a lot of Beckett moping over Castle or getting pissy about him spending the summer with his ex - if this takes too much of a soap opera turn next season, I don't know that I'll be able to stomach it.



    So you want her to get over her feelings for Castle quickly? Then people might wonder what happened?! Cus it won't be believable.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of miss_wierd

    miss_wierd

    [46]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 04/25/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 920

    zeldashiek wrote:



    Lastly, I do want them to get together. If the writers are any good they can make a story about that relationship and further the story. I mean they both would still be themselves even if they were together. Just do not ever pair them with any one else again. Either make them in a permanent relationship and further the story or just x files it and never pair them with anyone and just write a good crime show..... My opinion is pair them up now and they together forever.... stupid romantic side of me lol



    No no no! They can't get together. If they do, the whole dynamic might change. They should X file it. If they want to get them together do it for the series finale.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of writergirl06

    writergirl06

    [47]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 424
    miss_wierd wrote:

    zeldashiek wrote:



    Lastly, I do want them to get together. If the writers are any good they can make a story about that relationship and further the story. I mean they both would still be themselves even if they were together. Just do not ever pair them with any one else again. Either make them in a permanent relationship and further the story or just x files it and never pair them with anyone and just write a good crime show..... My opinion is pair them up now and they together forever.... stupid romantic side of me lol



    No no no! They can't get together. If they do, the whole dynamic might change. They should X file it. If they want to get them together do it for the series finale.



    But that's even worse! They need NOT to turn this show into Bones (and have said they aren't going to, so what was the deal w/ that finale?!?) Not pleased at all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of writergirl06

    writergirl06

    [48]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 03/17/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 424
    kraylith wrote:
    OH FOR F**** SAKE!

    -.-

    The tension between them is great but this back and forth.... c'mon.... You CAN overdo it...


    My sentiments exactly.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of halaci

    halaci

    [49]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 08/11/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 24
    miss_wierd wrote:

    zeldashiek wrote:



    Lastly, I do want them to get together. If the writers are any good they can make a story about that relationship and further the story. I mean they both would still be themselves even if they were together. Just do not ever pair them with any one else again. Either make them in a permanent relationship and further the story or just x files it and never pair them with anyone and just write a good crime show..... My opinion is pair them up now and they together forever.... stupid romantic side of me lol



    No no no! They can't get together. If they do, the whole dynamic might change. They should X file it. If they want to get them together do it for the series finale.



    Please let's forget this "we will loose the dinamic if they are together, because it happened in this or that show" ranting. It is a BS, the simpliest excuse of unimaginary script writing. Who says that if two people show their affection towards each other, or horribile dictu have sex with each other from that point on their life is one dull mass, no problems, no conflicts, no different ideas? Is anybody who quote this has ever had a relation? If yes, why he/she did it if it's so boring?

    Here we got two very strong and very different personality. If they are together these differences clashes more clearly causing more tension because each of them expect the other to accept his/her way of life. We spent two seasons watching how they work together while trying to hide their feelings but maintaining completely their own preferences of life. Now I wish to see how they can work when their core feelings are no more questioned but they have to take care of the others preferences. Simple example: up till now if Castle has a new idea (or an idea what dumped Beckett's previous one), he told it to everybody, was very proud of himself and Beckett appreciated it with a smiling nod. What do you think of her reaction when she feels that now they are in a smaller "inner team"? Anybody remembers her reaction about Castle sharing his ideas with Agent Shaw before her? Isn't it a real conflict? How would she react if on an event some previous one-night-stand bring up something what Castle wanted to hide? Isn't it a conflict either?

    Sex is only one field of two people relationship. Fight for the alpha position, setting up the rules and territories are everyday battles at each couple. This show is not a love drama, it's a crime series with a good sense of humor (at least it was). The suspense and tension should come from the cases (and really, should come!), I want to play the mind game. Their relationship is the pepper, chili and all fine spices what make the cases unique flavour. The fun is not that they love each other or not, but how they react to each other. If all of their reaction will be that masking my thought, it's boring. Beside, now I can not see any acceptable reason - beside the fact that there is a 3rd season coming - why these two people would want to meet each other day by day.

    I'm an optimistic at deep of my heart, so I hope that the writers will find out something acceptable reason why these two disappointed and independent people will work together again, but after this ending it's hard truly believe.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of David8601

    David8601

    [50]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 05/11/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 44

    mmmm I suppose that if they will get together and the writers are angling towards that, lets not be fooled. But if it's written well, with the on screen chemistry that the cast share there's no reason it would damage the dynamic, depends on how it's written though. As for Castle bringing Gina in obviously a prelude to S3 and we only saw her for about a minute. I disagree that Castle was playing a game there by Gina showing up, it was simply a pickup.... At that point he had no clue Kate has busted up with Demming. People get divorced for a reason and I imagine the whole thing (Castle /Gina) will end when they clean their pipes out. While Castle had his flings except for his X showing up witrh Alexa he never bought his relationships into the office, it was phone calls and the actress sleeping with the president of the TV network that's about it. We had to SUFFER @##%^&***(&%$$#@ing through 4 episodes of watching Demming hang around Beckett horny as an old billy goat. Beckett did know that certainly something was amiss and that her relationship was affecting castle I don't agree with "she had no clue", because when B/D were sitting down being very close B looked over saw C come in and they immediately moved apart. Plus>> The look on her face and>> The whole "awkward" statement and the fact that she got caught stone cold in a lie RE: Beach house kinda indicated she knew. Otherwise, why lie?? The end sucked sap but the Ep was pretty good.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of magellan1958

    magellan1958

    [51]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 05/10/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 3
    congratulations you have ruined the comeback of session 3!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Jacks_Son

    Jacks_Son

    [52]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 11/29/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,074

    Okay, not having seen a single episode of either "Moonlighting" or "Friends" in my life, I have no idea what worked or didn't work in those shows, nor do I care. In today's television climate, there is a small window to get things right, or the show is off the air. Castle and Beckett like each other. The entire police department knows this. All throughout this episode, the writers were hitting the audience over the head with all sorts of innuendos and double-entendres. Sure, the ending was a bit lame, but it set the stage for their relationship to begin. I say put the two leads together and write around it. If the writers can't write a normal relationship in a show, with all its ups and downs, then they need to get new jobs. The writers were clever enough to show us all the little clues, like Kate looking longingly at the chair Castle sits in; or the way she showed pain in her eyes when she saw he only had one cup of coffee and he didn't bring one for her. All the things she didn't realize she liked and would miss. It's time to move to phase two. Phase two is why I stopped watching "Bones"; Booth and Brennan never moved. They became Woody Allen's famous "dead shark" line. They stopped moving until the relationship now appears no longer viable.


    The case was immaterial here; all it did was set the stage for the Castle/Beckett relationship.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Vanish7

    Vanish7

    [53]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 11/24/03
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    Indeed this is one mediocore ending... But oh well i hope the writers find some original beginningfor season 3 to make up for it.


    I loved the scene btw when castle says he is going to take a break when ryan and esposito show up. Anyone notice they BOTH said "yea fine" when in other episodes when those 2interrupt C&B respond different. I could really feel their pain there.. Also found the part great when castle came in the next morning after the poker game. Kate looked honestly so happy to see him, greeting him with a relieved"heeeey" instead of a stern "morning Castle". And then sees him bringing only one coffee and realizes once again he is going to leave.


    My idea for season 3 is that Kate will maybe have a new partner to work with! I mean didnt everyone ever wonder who kate's partner before castle was, or did she work alone?? I mean ryan and esposito are always together working on cases who did kate work with before? Or did she just always team up with Ryan and esposito?Its only an idea tho. Cant wait for season 3

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of haldrey

    haldrey

    [54]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 02/23/08
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 3,920
    Sorry Kate but just have to wait, there are many seasons in Castle future and the two main characters can not be a thing. That will be left for when the show ends, which I hope will not be in the near future. Great second season by the way.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Jacks_Son

    Jacks_Son

    [55]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 11/29/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,074

    haldrey wrote:
    Sorry Kate but just have to wait, there are many seasons in Castle future and the two main characters can not be a thing. That will be left for when the show ends, which I hope will not be in the near future. Great second season by the way.


    Waiting until the end will not work for C/B as it will not work for Bones/Booth. It is distinctly unrewarding to the viewer who has invested a little emotional involvement with the relationship. We all want to see the fruits of the effort to get them together not bear witness to their final coupling and that's it. In "Lost" we got to see Kate with Jack, then Sawyer, then Jack again. You got to see the dynamics of the relationship. That's what works.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Deadeye666

    Deadeye666

    [56]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 09/09/03
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 34

    I just got to say this: I hate how most shows these days handle this kind of situation. It´s starting to feel really forced how the writers just try to find new way to keep their main characters apart. It´s kinda fun for a while but Castle (and many other shows) have just reached a point where the relationship between the main characters just feels childish and really gets on my nerves. I´m just sick of all those lingering looks, the sighing, the almost kisses and the sexual tension. It feels like friggin high school. She wants to be with him. He wants to be with her. Just let them have a real relationship and stop screwing around. There would be so much potential for their relationship influencing their work. But no...they have to act like lovestruck teenagers who are too shy and scared to get a move on.


    Like several people already wrote: You could see the ending from miles away and that just pi**** me off. Because the reason for that is that all similar shows treat the relationship of the main characters the same way. Switch Beckett and Castle for Booth and Bones and it wouldn´t really make much difference. I just wish that once...just once...somebody would try to do something a little bit different and make his characters actually act like grown ups. But I guess it´s just too much to ask.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SWERJ321

    SWERJ321

    [57]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 07/14/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 456
    Moving away from the final moments and to the main mystery, I have to say kudos for working it out well. Mitch Peliggi was a great choice for the seemingly know-it-all bad-ass spy who comes apart fast when they confront him with the truth. Really, it took that for it to sink into him that this wasn't a game being arrested? Still, fun to see them mix in the spy game so well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SWERJ321

    SWERJ321

    [58]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 07/14/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 456
    It was also nice seeing the return of the author poker game with Cannell, Patterson, etc. They need to do these more often as I love the fact they all think Castle is just making up these mysteries and unaware they're helping solve a real crime.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Morspeed

    Morspeed

    [59]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 10/31/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 420
    If they found an original reason or a compelling reason to keep these two apart, then I wouldn't be as ticked with the finale as I am. But seriously, it was the lazy ending that really twisted the dagger for me. I agree with everyone that says that just because the two are together it doesn't mean it will kill their chemistry. As an audience member how can you invest into their relationship if you know that they will not be together for at least 3 seasons? It's not even fun the way the Castle writers are doing it now. He is with someone, then she is with someone, now he is with someone? Really is this the best they have for a season finale?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of fanofcastle

    fanofcastle

    [60]May 18, 2010
    • member since: 05/18/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 13
    Martha did one say that even though Castle is surrounded by women, he knows very little about them (Third Man - one of my favorite episodes). So, it's possible that he did the whole Gina thing to get Beckett jealous and try to get her (as someone suggested). But, like someone else indicated, that's probably too clever for these writers. They followed the old TV formula and gave us a cliche ending. So we might start S3 with a different love triangle.

    I don't think anybody else suggested but there's a reason why Beckett and Castle still work together -- the movie. You know they'll be an episode where the Nikki Heat character shadows Beckett and the James Rook character shadows Castle. It'll be like that somewhat funny episode on the X-Files where Gary Shandling and Tea Leoni were playing Mulder and Scully in a movie.

    Ha. Yeah, Demming = Paolo or maybe even "Hoss."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.