Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: A Deadly Game 2x24 (May 17)

TankLike

[101]May 31, 2010
    • level: 7

i didn't mean that the whole purpose of going away was to punish and hurt beckett. he might be childish and impulsive in his behavior but he's not a total douche.

and yeah, you're right: i actually thought they should have got together. but not because i can't hardly wait. it's more like it's ridiculous this way - for all the reasons i stated a few posts back.

Edited on 05/31/2010 10:37pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

David8601

[102]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 3
    Hmmm Actually if I recall correctly at the end when Gina was standing there with Castle they linked arms and when he went to shake Beckett's hand he had to shake her loose because she was hanging tight onto his arm. With that scene in mind that's more of a "he's all mine", message RE: body language.

TalonKarrde847

[103]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 10

One of the things I like best in Castle (in general, but especially for this episode) is the importance of facial acting. For many shows, I'm not really watching every single take... very often I'm putting things aways, browsing the paper, whatever. You don't really need to watch every single frame of many shows to enjoy them. But if I did that while watching Castle, I'd miss most of the fun/enjoyment. For instance, both Stana and Nathan were really great in this episode (Emmy nomination for Stana, maybe?), and Jon Huertas in his you're-so-dense-I'll-give-you-a-little-hint scene by the murder boardWink

TankLike

[104]Jun 1, 2010

An Emmy? Really?

I mean: Don't get me wrong. They are both amazing actors. Most of the cast on Castle is. But the competition is very hard. Especially in the drama department. House, Parenthood, The Good Wife, Justified and so on.
    They all have a great cast and chemistry and interesting stories.

And while I do think that Nathan and Stana are equally good as the actors of the above mentioned TV shows, I don't think they are challenged as much and as often in Castle. But we love Castle anyhow

nolefan32

[105]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 11

TankLike wrote:

An Emmy? Really?

I mean: Don't get me wrong. They are both amazing actors. Most of the cast on Castle is. But the competition is very hard. Especially in the drama department. House, Parenthood, The Good Wife, Justified and so on.

And while I do think that Nathan and Stana are equally good as the actors of the above mentioned TV shows, I don't think they are challenged as much and as often in Castle. But we love Castle anyhow

I agree with this. While I do think Nathan and Stana are great actors (and I've said it many times, it's because of them and the rest of the cast that we keep tuning in, as it certainly isn't for the stellar writing), I also think that before an actor can be seriously considered for an Emmy, the show they're on has to be taken seriously by the voting members. Castle simply isn't one of those kinds of shows. And I'll echo Tank - the drama category is especially stiff, one of the reasons many have argued for a "dramedy" category for years.

Starprincess13

[106]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 24

nolefan32 wrote:

TankLike wrote:

An Emmy? Really?

I agree with this. While I do think Nathan and Stana are great actors (and I've said it many times, it's because of them and the rest of the cast that we keep tuning in, as it certainly isn't for the stellar writing), I also think that before an actor can be seriously considered for an Emmy, the show they're on has to be taken seriously by the voting members. Castle simply isn't one of those kinds of shows. And I'll echo Tank - the drama category is especially stiff, one of the reasons many have argued for a "dramedy" category for years.

I agree as well. I watch for Nathan Fillion (he is just awesome) and I do enjoy everyone else as well but not as much as Nathan. It is certainly not the cases or the writing that is keeping me watching.

A "dramedy" category is an excellent idea. Shows like Castle and Bones are always overlooked and it is really annoying since some of the actors on those types of shows really deserve a win or nomination at least. Emily Deschanel from Bones is one example that sticks out for me. She is always great but she has been phenomenal (in my opinion and the opinions of people over in the Bones forum) this season but come Emmy time, she probably won't even be recognized since Bones is always ignored.

TankLike

[107]Jun 3, 2010

Although I sympathize with the idea, there's always one problem with the crossover-categories:

How many jokes per episode do you need to turn a drama show into a dramedy? Or do you use an average over the season? Or is the simple intention of the writers enough to put the show into that category (e.g. they put a lot of stupid jokes into it nobody's laughing about...)?

As I remember there were a few episodes of Bones that were dead-serious with no jokes or funny situations at all. And one of the last Parenthood episodes was so damn funny that there even was a news entry on TV.com whether it was NBC's 5th comedy (click).

So it's hard to set the boundaries. But I do agree: There are a lot of shows with great cast that don't get enough recognition.

Edited on 06/03/2010 1:27am
    Edited 3 total times.

nolefan32

[108]Jun 3, 2010
    • level: 11

TankLike wrote:

Although I sympathize with the idea, there's always one problem with the crossover-categories:

How many jokes per episode do you need to turn a drama show into a dramedy? Or do you use an average over the season? Or is the simple intention of the writers enough to put the show into that category (e.g. they put a lot of stupid jokes into it nobody's laughing about...)?

As I remember there were a few episodes of Bones that were dead-serious with no jokes or funny situations at all. And one of the last Parenthood episodes was so damn funny that there even was a news entry on TV.com whether it was NBC's 5th comedy (click).

So it's hard to set the boundaries. But I do agree: There are a lot of shows with great cast that don't get enough recognition.

As it stands now, there's no guidance regarding what qualifies a show as a comedy or a drama. Granted, when the categories were created, it was pretty much a no-brainer which was which, and for many shows it still is - 30 Rock is clearly a comedy, SVU is clearly a drama. But for shows like Castle, Bones, Chuck, Warehouse 13, Gilmore Girls, Buffy the Vampire Slayer ... it's up to the show's producers whether they want to compete as a drama or a comedy, the dividing line between the two categories isn't clear. So if there was a dramedy category, why does it require defining parameters to enter, when it really would just represent anything that's too much of both comedy and drama to truly be either?

That's not to say I think a dramedy category would save Castle at Emmy time, as there's still a lot of great shows that it would be up against. But I can just see voters at Emmy time who don't consider dramedies funny enough to compete against the likes of 30 Rock in the comedy category, or serious enough to compete against the the likes of Law & Order in the drama category. And it would open up the fields in both categories so the competition isn't so ridiculously stiff.

halaci

[109]Jun 3, 2010
    • level: 2
    TankLike wrote:

As the Emmy is a self-promoted award (I mean AFAIK formally the actress/actor has to nominee herself/himself) it would not make such a problem. It's up to the creators or actors decision into which category they nominee, if they start in a non-appropriate one it's their problem. A series with bad jokes would not be more chance in a crossover category than as a comedy - if there are crossovers with good jokes :-) .

giggs92

[110]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 4

I think this show has a nice balance with comedy and drama somewhat like the old Avengers and Remmington Steele shows. Was sorry for Kate at the end but it sets up the next season nicely. I would have thought though that the fellow (I can't think of the characters name right now) who told Kate that Castle didn't like to hang around and see her with Demming would just tell Castle that he has screwed up and that Kate is interested. But I guess that would spoil the suspense for next season.

BarryWeen3

[111]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 14
    giggs92 wrote:

I think this show has a nice balance with comedy and drama somewhat like the old Avengers and Remmington Steele shows. Was sorry for Kate at the end but it sets up the next season nicely. I would have thought though that the fellow (I can't think of the characters name right now) who told Kate that Castle didn't like to hang around and see her with Demming would just tell Castle that he has screwed up and that Kate is interested. But I guess that would spoil the suspense for next season.

That would be Esposito.

nutcrackr

[112]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 6
    Another thing I'd like to throw out there for those thinking about what will happen between Gina and Castle. Castle said in "Tick Tick" that apart from his 2nd marriage Kate and Castle's relationship was the most sexless he's ever been in.

His first marriage was with Meredith (deep fried twinkie) and his second was Gina afaik. So perhaps nothing will happen at all

TankLike

[113]Jun 11, 2010

thanks for pointing that out again. already forgot that. shame on me...

it's nice knowing that at least some of us are paying attention to the details

Edited on 06/11/2010 10:15am

Nat6386

[114]Jun 13, 2010
    I'm new to Castle's forums Ive only just watched all of season one and two in the last few weeks online after getting hooked but can I say POOR KATE!! I was really hoping that they would b together but its like they just pushed their relationship back HEAPS cause becketts really guarded and she finally let up and was going to give Castle a chance and then Gina walks in !!! I was so disappointed especially with Castle if he really has feelings for Kate he should have waited more, but also I wish Kate had said yes to his weekend away earlier to give Castle hope....

Its like Bones I really hope the writers dont drag it out for so long, I mean its been 5 years on Bones before anyone mentioned anything and Im just really want kate and castle to be together oh and to a poster ^ you were suggesting Kastle for their name but its sounds just like Castle just with a K how about Caste? idk just throwing it out there....

yen35

[115]Jul 21, 2010

I am new to this forum. Started watching Castle about 2 months ago and was rather addicted to it so finished seasons 1 and 2 (not so addicted as to go and read the spoilers like I do for some other shows but I do like it very much). The chemistry between the 2 lead stars is great, much more than in Bones which I also watch and like but not as much as castle (but thats just my opinion). Nearly all the eps and interactions between the people are very good and the finale was really excellent. I had to nearly stop myself from crying at the very last scene when Castle went away with his ex.

BarryWeen3

[116]Jul 21, 2010
    Welcome Yen.

I first watched this show because it had Nathan Fillion who I loved from his Firefly days.

If you haven't seen Firefly, I highly recommend that you check that series out. It was created by Joss Whedon and there were only 14 episodes produced plus a movie sequel.

If you have seen Firefly, did you catch the few Firefly references they snuck into Castle?

yen35

[117]Jul 22, 2010

No, I haven't heard of Firefly but I will check it out, thanks.

BarryWeen3

[118]Jul 22, 2010
    yen35 wrote:

No, I haven't heard of Firefly but I will check it out, thanks.

I hope you enjoy it. Most everybody (like 95% ) I've recommended it to has enjoyed it. Whedon created it for FOX and it's a Sci-Fi Western set 500 years into our future. There was a lot of screwing around with the show by FOX and they ended up airing only 11 of the 14 shows produced before cancelling the show. It proved to be so popular that a sequel movie (Serenity) was produced. Hopefully you will join the ranks of the browncoats.

Starprincess13

[119]Jul 24, 2010

LOL, Barry. I am loving how you are going around trying get more people to discover Firefly and join us Browncoats.

Starprincess13

[120]Jul 24, 2010
    Welcome to the Castle forum yen35 and Nat6386!!!!!