Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: After the Storm 5x01 (Sep 24)

TesserT

[1]Sep 17, 2012
    • level: 76
    Please use this thread to discuss Monday's season opener After the Storm. Enjoy!

Check out the promo over at ABC.com They finally crossed the line! Join me, would you?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NiallB31

[2]Sep 21, 2012
    • level: 8

Can not wait for the premiere. I have seen so many pictures on Facebook and so many spoilers about season 5, its driving me crazy. Next Monday can not come quick enough. I have seen the sneak peeks and promo pics and the season poster and they all look great. Can not wait for Season 5 to preimere.

Canada_Michael

[3]Sep 24, 2012
    • level: 10

On the whole it was a good episode. I think my expectations may have been a little too high after the long summer wait .

CrazyAsian1080

[4]Sep 24, 2012
    • level: 7

Amazing opening. I also like how they handled everything. Things are "wrapped" up enough so they can explore what looks to be Becket and Castle trying to hide their relationship (WHICH LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE HILARIOUS), but not so much that the over arcing plot can't still be how do they take down a Senator. All I have to say is thankfully it wasn't Castle's father.

wildhoney66

[5]Sep 25, 2012
    • level: 13

1stly off topic a bit when "Friends' did their hiding the secret during the late 90's. that's my favorite way of a show doing it. and the slow reveal which was also funny as hell. as for this episode i freaking LOVED IT! it was far far better than the finale which i also loved. i was curious on how they were going to write them as a couple as well.

and a bit worried as well, not cause of any curse but if you look at say 'Bones' where last season they weren't at first believable as a couple.

the writing slowly got better and i think it's so far more believable this season than it was last season. at least at the start of it anyways.

i think castle should have told his family about him and beckett though. but to be fair i don't think it would have been a good idea telling your mom that while naked. he he. honestly i think having them hide their relationship is going to be funny as hell. i wonder how long it'll take before everyone finds out about it? at least of the main gang of course. from next weeks promo's Lanie's of course on the trail right away apparently.

i just want castle to be mature about it, and i think he's got less immature as the show's gone on. which i like. i don't think that if they had put them together a long time ago it would have worked. the wait i think was long enough. also was it just me or did anyone forget that since we got this months later after the finale that pretty much the entire episode took place like 1 or 2 days later? cause i kept forgetting that. i did like kate going i can't go back there again. and castle going well it looks like we have no choice. and i like castle and the guys thought she was going to shoot him as well. the way it was handled i think was done far far better. we found out who killed her mom. and we did get answers which i loved. but than we also got a when are they going to take him down story arc. which my guess is going to last until the show ends perhaps?

pilo14

[6]Sep 25, 2012
    • level: 11
    Iz was a good episode. what I liked best was when Beckett turned the table on the Senatora and used his methods against him.

haldrey

[7]Sep 25, 2012
    • level: 22
    After a long summer Castle is a refreshing sight on the TV screen, great premier.

yutg25

[8]Sep 26, 2012
    • level: 5
    Drunk Alexis...

It was a great episode. They went through Caskette well not force it was done right. There was some closure; but I doubt they Senator is done.

I JUST CAN'T GET OVER DRUNK ALEXIS!

JonathonWolf

[9]Sep 26, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

i just want castle to be mature about it, and i think he's got less immature as the show's gone on. which i like. i don't think that if they had put them together a long time ago it would have worked. the wait i think was long enough. also was it just me or did anyone forget that since we got this months later after the finale that pretty much the entire episode took place like 1 or 2 days later? cause i kept forgetting that. i did like kate going i can't go back there again. and castle going well it looks like we have no choice. and i like castle and the guys thought she was going to shoot him as well. the way it was handled i think was done far far better. we found out who killed her mom. and we did get answers which i loved. but than we also got a when are they going to take him down story arc. which my guess is going to last until the show ends perhaps?

Interestingly, while the episode starts the next morning, the administrative leave puts us right back to a few months later. As far as we know of anyways. I don't believe it's ever stated how long it is. I've been thinking about why Castle and Beckett are keeping their relationship a secret. We know it started because Castle freaked and made Beckett hide in the closet. Beckett probably tried to do it to Castle as retaliation, but a part of her likely is afraid to admit to it since she didn't actually back off of it. This could be because she still had problems opening up since that was a major part of her therapy, she is embarrassed because she spent four years refuting all the teasing she received, she may find keeping it a secret is exciting, or she might fear how Gates will handle it when she finds out. I can see Beckett giving Gates the respect she spoke of if she states she figured it out a while back and chose not to do anything because it wasn't affecting her job. Accepting Castle in her own way would go a long way to endearing Gates to the whole team.

EDIT: I also found the scene where the guys went after Beckett interesting in how it contrasts the choice he made at the end of the last episode and here. In both cases, he is having a crisis of conscience, but this time he has Esposito and Castle beside him to help him weigh his options.

Edited on 09/26/2012 3:45pm

TesserT

[10]Sep 26, 2012
    • level: 76
    JonathonWolf wrote:

I've been thinking about why Castle and Beckett are keeping their relationship a secret.

Creator Andrew Marlowe explained this in an interview with TVGuide:
    ***SPOILER***

wildhoney66

[11]Sep 26, 2012

i think you thought to much about this, the reason castle freaked was i think just like beckett said even though she was kidding. it was like he was a teenager. and my guess is he wants to tell his family but of course not while he's naked! he he. the reason she asked him to hide was a bit different i don't think it had anything to do with what you said.

it was i think 2 things, 1 was like someone said sorry i didn't read your screename. in your spoiler. that was 1 reason. the other was i think to get back at castle for making her hide in the closet. and he realized that as well. well that she was getting back at him.

mainly cause castle going by what we see didn't show up at her place that often. yes it's different now but still so she also wasn't sure what ryan would be thinking either. i don't think it had anything to do with therapy. good theory though. what i think will happen though and this doesn't need no spoiler attached to it cause this is my own theory on how it's going to be done.

it's nothing i've read. i think what will happen is castle weather with kate or alone will at some point tell alexis who i admit i loved seeing her hungover. she let loose for once good for her. he i'm sure will tell them and alexis will i'm sure keep quiet about it martha however that's another matter. she may but it really depends on if they write it that she keeps her mouth shut for once. now Lanie and sorry about my spelling and well the rest of the gang. i'm sure will either figure it out or find out about it at some point . i have a feeling that will be funny as hell to see.

but them keeping it quiet from gates and everyone else that's going to be tough. no castle doesn't work for the NYPD but he is her partner. and that's how gates will see it she seems the type that would separate them if she found out. really cause she can't stand rick. everyone else though will i'm sure keep quiet about it. but i'm sure they will tease them about it of course. i have no idea if this is how it's going to play out or not. but i dunno something tells me it will. it's just a theory of course. by the pic they have on here for the 3rd episode and the title

i get the impression that's the one where he tells alexis. they don't have anything on what it 's about last time i checked but it's just a feeling.

BarryWeen3

[12]Sep 26, 2012
    • level: 14

Great premiere.

First five minutes was sexy, funny, hilarious, sensual, etc. The morning after conversation, falling off the bed, drunk Alexis, Beckett in the closet, the "slide" of shame, etc. My favorite moment was Beckett throwing a pillow at Castle from the closet and giving him that death glare she's famous for along with when she first comes out of the bedroom and realizes she doesn't have her bra.

The hunt for the Dragon and Beckett's confrontation with him was done well. Also liked that the Ryan/Javi rift hasn't been resolved yet, showing natural progression in the bromance. The scene with Beckett and Gates was nice, but nothing beats that final scene. Reviewers that got an advanced showing of this episode all talked about that end scene saying that it would show a different side of Beckett.

I think that hiding the relationship makes sense on a personal level as Castle says he wants to keep it special between the two of them and on a professional level because of the NYPD rules and how much Gates is a stickler for the rules. Plus, of course, it's going to lead to a lot of hilarious situations as the promo for the next episode shows.

I gotta think that Lanie will be the first out of the work family to figure out that Caskett are together and probably Martha before Alexis.

wildhoney66

[13]Sep 27, 2012

true true, i just hope that when martha finds out weather she walks in on them or if she's told that she can keep her mouth shut when she goes to the station. reason being is we already had them separated we don't need that again. and let's face it even though rick loves to help people

he's there for kate. part of me does also think that he said that to save face from beckett as well. since he forced her to go into a closet. to be honest it makes sense if he tells his family cause from an interview that molly quinn gave not to long ago i think she does find out about it.

she didn't say how alexis found out though. i wouldn't expect her to be honest. that's not really a spoiler either cause that's kind of expected that alexis will at some point find out. as for beckett i also did love that ending as well i dunno she seems to be a very sexual person. not everyone is and that's fine. but the character beckett from what we've been hinted at since the start of the show seems to be like that.

JonathonWolf

[14]Sep 28, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

i think you thought to much about this, the reason castle freaked was i think just like beckett said even though she was kidding. it was like he was a teenager. and my guess is he wants to tell his family but of course not while he's naked! he he. the reason she asked him to hide was a bit different i don't think it had anything to do with what you said.

I wouldn't say I overthought it since one of my thoughts was pretty much exactly it. We'll know more details for certain in the next episode.

I'd imagine Castle's family will find out fairly quickly unless he never brings her over. They would be able to hide spending so much time together from Alexis and Martha since Castle is always with her anyways. We don't know how often Beckett comes over for dinner, but they seem to take her presence at the meals shown in pretty good stride. It does bring up the question of how Alexis knew Beckett spent some time abroad before college; that doesn't seem like the kind of thing Castle would mention in passing.

giggs92

[15]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 4

So glad this show is back. I thought the beginning was very funny and the two scenes in each other's apartments and wanted to hide were hilarious. The whole show was great.

wildhoney66

[16]Sep 29, 2012

well being right on one thing is still better than not being right at all i think. but i agree that alexis and beckett know things about each other i'm sure even castle doesn't know or want to know, such as sex for example if alexis was sleeping with ashley rick doesn't want to know this., and

i wouldn't blame him for not wanting the details. she can confide this to beckett well and to martha as well but still. an interview i saw molly quinn do was asked just how alexis is going react. and she thinks alexis and i may have this a bit wrong cause i forget if it was shot at the time of this interview or not. she i think said that she'll just think of her as being another girlfriend. but this may have been on one i saw online not to long ago that she gave this summer

there was one i watched that she said they hadn't started shooting yet so i'm guessing it was done at some point in july. cause she said filming was going to start in 2 weeks but she wasn't sure when she was going to start filming. so the stuff she said i think was just what she thinks may happen. so i don't consider it a spoiler. i dunno i'm guessing that she may be happy for her dad? i really can't think of a time it's shown her say anything about them being together in some way so i dunno. martha prolly will be happy but my guess question him about it at first. since

he's confided in her and we've seen that. my favorite episode from season 2 is easily, easily the one where allyssia mlilano and my apologies

on spelling her name wrong if i did. anyways, that one scene where beckett asked castle i thought you didn't do normal ? cause she commented how normal she was compared to the women she had met at that point. she was right of course. and he goes i do normal,i forget what else he said but still a great episode. my point is we've seen hints on how he can be when he's had a girlfriend but the women the writers had him be with well weren't beckett. so i'm curious how he'll act as well.

well both really. as for the dude who killed her mom? well my guess is that we will get that closer to the end of the series and i can live with that for now. cause it's better far better than having the who killed her storyline for another 5 seasons. ya know i enjoyed last season but this season i have a feeling will be even better. the kate episodes you can call them if you will i enjoyed. her dealing with getting shot. and getting help for numerous things was a smart way to do that. it's better to have hear deal with all that before they put her in a relationship than to have it happen during it. i have a feeling it would have taken over the show it they had went the route of have her get help during her dating castle.

and i don't want that. out of all the shows i watch "Castle' was the one i wanted to see the most. and though i loved the premiere of "Bones' that had it's flaws of course. i think that should have been 2 hrs instead of 1 honestly. i mention bones cause the now air the same night by the way