Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind 3x09(Nov 15)

TesserT

[1]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 78
    Let's discuss Monday's episode Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind here.

from ABC.go.com: When a prominent astrophysicist is found dead in her car, Castle is led to theorize her death was the result of an alien abduction.

Check out the promo over at ABC.com. There are no little green men!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sandbur

[2]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 25

Fun, once again, watching Beckett struggle with events that make Castle and his imagination seem plausible! Also fun watching Ryan and Espo looking to Beckett for how they should feel about all of it!

sherv22

[3]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 14

Nice shout-out (Chinese-out?) to Firefly. Though, just like Firefly, Nathan's pronunciation makes my ears bleed. Ah well, it's the thought that counts. Also, I'm impressed they actually went there with the abduction, which led to a nice little shippy moment. Though you wonder why they worked with the agent so easily after he abducted them.

Edited on 11/15/2010 8:23pm
    Edited 2 total times.

blackmage8472

[4]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 15

A couple of points:

1) Castle finally got his wish... the spy did it.

2) The scene where Castle is talking about spies on the phone while the bf's parents were in the room... when he hung up the phone an turned around saying "More wine?" Awesome scene... just hilarious.

3) Anyone want to guess what the Man in Black told Beckett?

drclawski

[5]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 4
    what they told her? maybe something about her parents. although she would probably react differently to that kind of info. nice episode. as always

pandyangel

[6]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 5
    I enjoyed this episode very much Aliens and Castle It was fun.

Nagowteena

[7]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 13

A great episode! it had me laugh a lot!

Edited on 11/16/2010 4:57am

g_o_r_a_l

[8]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 7

I agree, awesome episode. Plus Firefly reference made it even more awesome.

BarryWeen3

[9]Nov 16, 2010
    I agree with the sentiments already expressed. It was a fun episode, especially Castle's expressions and earnestness in trying to convince Beckett on his alien abduction theories plus Beckett at times seeiming unsure of her rational explanation for what was happening when circumstances kept supporting Castle's position. My favorite point was when their car stalled and that bright light shone down on the car.

Also as others have pointed out, another Firefly reference plus of course the shout out to X-Files also (theme song and The Truth Is Out There) and guest star Lance Heinreksen from another Chris Carter show, Millenium.

And a couple of other fun points were Ryan and Esposito commenting on Castle's and Beckett's "hickies" and Castle doing too good a job in impressing Ashley's parents as now they get to go camping together and how much Castle is looking forward to that with that pained expression he had when he was talking with his daughter.

I'm like Castle now, what in the heck did the agent tell Beckett? It could have been about her mother cause she did look subdued or it could have been something about Castle.

haldrey

[10]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 22
    Loved this episode, it had everything, police mystery, spy, some sci fi and a pinch of domestic problems.

TalonKarrde847

[11]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 10

blackmage8472 wrote:

A couple of points:

1) Castle finally got his wish... the spy did it.

But Castle doesn't want it to be just a spy... he wants it to be a CIA operative. In this eppy, we had Dr Vaughn, an American traitor (they don't say it in so many words, but that's what he was) who was not previously a CIA agent, and a Chinese operative (we didn't even get the acronym!).

My bet is Castle won't quit bringing up CIA conspiracies

ZekkJedi

[12]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 8

Firefly reference was great and I especially loved Castle's irreverence at being 'abducted':

"is this the part where you bring out the old nazi with the dentist's drill" (or something like that)

of course that was after him and Beckett immediately wanted to know where the other was (cute) and the 'hickie' bit was funny (as was all the jokes clearly left unsaid: "let's just put it in and get it over with"!?! I agreed completely with Castle's expression), but first question: what were those things used on their necks? some kind of high tech stun gun? tracking implant? what?

second Q: what did Beckett get told and will we/castle find out?

Third Q: how come no one pointed out to the (Division/MIB/SHIELD/SWORD/... whatever) Agents that if they weren't so busy "zapping us, and gassing us, and being generally weird" [to paraphrase hitchiker's guide (zaphod)] and instead did some leg work of their own, like our intrepid heroes, maybe they'd get better results? I mean really your gonna abduct the police, instead of just going to their boss? It was funny but stupid on the "low-tech MIB"'s part; betcha Castle and Beckett could clear out half their case work in no time.

safibwana

[13]Nov 16, 2010
    • level: 11

Didn't look like a real model, but I sort of assumed it was a device from the future of the past, a jet injector gun. Used to be used to give vaccinations instead of needles, but not considered as safe as they once were. Instead of vaccine, I assumed it had a soporific in it. Dunno if they give hickeys, but sure, why not?

BarryWeen3

[14]Nov 17, 2010
    safibwana wrote:

Didn't look like a real model, but I sort of assumed it was a device from the future of the past, a jet injector gun. Used to be used to give vaccinations instead of needles, but not considered as safe as they once were. Instead of vaccine, I assumed it had a soporific in it. Dunno if they give hickeys, but sure, why not?

I don't think it mattered if those jet injector guns really do give hickeys or not, the writers were going to use that sight gag no matter what for a few minutes of ribbing from Ryan and Espisito.

yen35

[15]Nov 24, 2010
    • level: 2

I loved this episode. Being an avid fan of the X files, I loved Castle saying to Beckett, you can call me Mulder and something about wearing a red wig or something like that.

Excellent plot too.

By the way, why is there a 2 week gap before the next episode?

Edited on 11/24/2010 5:35am

Starprincess13

[16]Nov 24, 2010
    • level: 24

I really liked this episode. Good case along with some really funny bits (the conversation about hickeys, Castle being interrogated, "Just stick it in and let's get this over with", etc) I loved the X-Files references along with the Firefly one about why Castle speaks Chinese. I would love to find what the agent said to Beckett.

Overall, really enjoyable.

Starprincess13

[17]Nov 24, 2010
    • level: 24

yen35 wrote:

There are a couple of shows that are doing that. I read somewhere that it is because its Thanksgiving in the US or something but I'm sure if that is the actual reason.

BarryWeen3

[18]Nov 24, 2010
    Starprincess13 wrote:

yen35 wrote:

There are a couple of shows that are doing that. I read somewhere that it is because its Thanksgiving in the US or something but I'm sure if that is the actual reason.

It is because it's Thanksgiving Week, about 1/2 of the shows this week are all repeats or not airing. Most of the Sun-Wed programming is intact, such as Chuck, CSI Miami, NCIS, No Ordinary Family, Human Target, Lie to Me, The Event, etc. Thu and Fri, esp Thu, nothing new airs.

juan137946

[19]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 13
    this was a really great episode, for some moments i was like could it really be alians lol, it was so funny and just great.

nutcrackr

[20]Dec 1, 2010
    • level: 6
    Good episode although a little on the silly and implausible side. They never really explained the light above the car, some kind of silent helicopter? I guess it doesn't make much difference.

To me the purpose of the episode was to bring an ally in for Beckett, the man in black will probably be extremely valuable when there is more exposition about who and why Beckett's mother was killed. Or he may help later down the track with 3XK, but I like the idea of the former.