Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: Den of Thieves 2x21 (Apr 19)

TesserT

[1]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 76
    Let's discuss Monday's episode Den of Thieves here.

from ABC Press release: Investigating the murder of a thief, Castle and Beckett are surprised to learn that Esposito has a personal connection to the suspected killer. Another surprise is in line for Castle when Beckett hits it off with the handsome Robbery detective assigned to the case, Tom Demming (Michael Trucco in a recurring role rest of season). Now this romantic triangle must work together to solve the case.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

historylover20

[2]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 28

Is it wrong that I went "Aw!" when Esposito introduced Castle as his "other partner"?

I love this show more and more with each passing episode.

Kat

Edited on 04/19/2010 8:00pm

JonathonWolf

[3]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 10

historylover20 wrote:

Is it wrong that I went "Aw!" when Esposito introduced Castle as his "other partner"?

I love this show more and more with each passing episode.

Kat

Can't really blame you. I kind of did the same thing when Castle smiled all big and waved at that.

Having the entire team manipulate the report was pretty funny, too.

RoverGuy

[4]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 9

Definitely a jealous/hurt look from Castle at the end, also a lookthat said"Uh-oh, I blew it with Beckett, now it's too late" (at least until next season). And his comment about him not being used to losing, like he knew he lost Beckett to boxer-boy.

But I hope they don't go the Bones and Booth route, will-they-or-won't-they for 3 seasons, with a "very special episode" where they kiss.

Morspeed

[5]Apr 20, 2010

Another solid episode from the Castle team. Since the last two episodes were a little bit lighter on the drama I'm glad that this one was a little bit more focused, and a bit more serious.

It was great to see Esposito and Ryan getting some decent scenes this go around. Really helped us see how much they would ride or die for each other. Which I never really got till before this episode. Also I'm glad we didn't get an entirely Castle/Beckett focused episode. Letting the others have some shine was refreshing.

I gotta say I liked the way the writers are handling Beckett's new love interest. It was obvious from the outset, but throwing that bit of doubt at Kate in the middle was a nice touch. Also the dude seems pretty classy. I'm glad he actually talked to Castle about Beckett. Although the underprivileged basketball game thing was a bit much.

Too bad we got a rerun next week. Looks like we'll have to wait a bit to see how Castle handles Beckett's new bf.

Edited on 04/20/2010 9:05am
    Edited 2 total times.

Libra1010

[6]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 6

So, I really liked this one. I LOVE Esposito now. He's just great. And I too was grinning like a little girl when he introduced Castle as his other partner. As to Castle/Beckett/Demming, I actually really liked Demming. He's a good guy. I don't think I'll mind having him around to treat Kate well for a few episodes. And poor Castle! When he said to Alexis, "I'm not used to losing," I was definitely a little sad for him. Although, I was also like, You haven't lost yet! She just met that guy! Try harder! lol. But a good episode.

haldrey

[7]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 22
    Maybe they should do something wrong to have something different to say, but no, everytime I say that there is no way they can improve over a certain episode a better one is aired. Amazing episode, everything was great, the storyline and the guest star cast. The regular cast, excellent as usual.

TesserT

[8]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 76
    haldrey wrote:
    Maybe they should do something wrong to have something different to say, but no, everytime I say that there is no way they can improve over a certain episode a better one is aired. Amazing episode, everything was great, the storyline and the guest star cast. The regular cast, excellent as usual.
    Ditto. This entire cast of characters works really well together. I actually like Det. Demmings and he should be able to keep Castle on his toes!

nolefan32

[9]Apr 20, 2010
    • level: 11
    I don't know what else to say except that this episode may have very well been the best one yet, certainly the best single-hour episode. Good twists, a little humor, brought an interesting twist to the Castle-Beckett storyline, and for once I wasn't able to figure out who the killer was before the rest of the cops did. The only low point in the episode was where our favorite four cops stood around in a group staring at the new guy talking about how they didn't like him from the beginning - it was so cheesy. And for once, it seemed like they wanted the Alexis-Castle time to be a moment that helped Castle figure out some important angle of the case (like usual), and there was one moment when they were playing cards that it looked as if he had an a-ha moment, but they didn't take it anywhere, the time teaching Texas Hold 'Em to Alexis seemed to just be filler this week and didn't really go anywhere. But those are minor complaints in what was otherwise a stellar episode.

With episodes like this one and Tick, Tick/Boom, the audience is coming to realize that the writers actually are capable of amping up the intelligence level of this show, and it doesn't have to just ride on the spark between Castle and Beckett every week. Gosh, if they could only play at this level every week.

welnoc

[10]Apr 21, 2010

I love Esposito and Ryan and as others have said, it was great to see them get some more screen time. Here's another who found it touching that "Javie" introduced Castle as his partner too.

As for guessing the villain, it was painfully easy once you knew it had to be a cop, actually even before that. That's my one complaint about most cop shows -their pools of suspects just aren't large enough. But at least they don't go introducing some suspect in the last five minutes who is in fact, the killer. I'd be throwing things at the television in that case.

I'm on the fence about Demming. They definitely need something to shake-up Castle and Demmings certainly did so that's good, but I just wasn't all that crazy about him and it's not because I'm a big Castle/Kate shipper because I'm not. Just can't seem to put my finger on it.

Jacks_Son

[11]Apr 21, 2010
    • level: 13

Okay, good episode, but I'm confused about two things: Lanie told Beckett that she lost a lot of money in the office pool when she bet on a Beckett Castle hook-up. Pools usually have more than one entry so who were the other choices? Two, why would she say she lost, when it's not over yet? This isn't March Madness, the writers should have stated this more clearly. Perhaps there was a time-frame involved?

Edited on 04/21/2010 3:59pm

BarryWeen3

[12]Apr 21, 2010
    • level: 14
    Jacks_Son wrote:

Okay, good episode, but I'm confused about two things: Lanie told Beckett that she lost a lot of money in the office pool when she bet on a Beckett Castle hook-up. Pools usually have more than one entry so who were the other choices? Two, why would she say she lost, when it's not over yet? This isn't March Madness, the writers should have stated this more clearly. Perhaps there was a time-frame involved?

It's a time-frame bet. Same sorta of thing happened over on NCIS when Gibbs temporarily filled in as NCIS director and the team and other agents had a pool as to when Gibbs would ditch the office to work on a case in the field. Ducky won the pool as he guessed the correct day when it would happen.

nolefan32

[13]Apr 22, 2010
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Jacks_Son wrote:

It's a time-frame bet. Same sorta of thing happened over on NCIS when Gibbs temporarily filled in as NCIS director and the team and other agents had a pool as to when Gibbs would ditch the office to work on a case in the field. Ducky won the pool as he guessed the correct day when it would happen.
    Yep, this is correct - the poll was to pick a date that they thought Castle/Beckett would finally become a couple. Lanie could probably enter the pool again, as I'm sure that it's still going on, but she'd have to put in more money; whatever she's put in previously is gone.

Jacks_Son

[14]Apr 22, 2010

LOL, Lanie shouldn't be allowed in the pool, as Kate's best friend, that's Insider Trading. Against SEC laws. Sealed

welnoc

[15]Apr 22, 2010

Jacks_Son wrote:

The bet wasn't with whom Beckett would get together, but when she'd get together with Castle and Lanie obviously thought they'd get together a lot sooner!

Jacks_Son

[16]Apr 23, 2010

I don't remember, but was Kate shocked when Lanie mentioned the pool bet about her and Castle? Was she surprised that people thought there would be something going on?

nolefan32

[17]Apr 23, 2010
    Jacks_Son wrote:

I don't remember, but was Kate shocked when Lanie mentioned the pool bet about her and Castle? Was she surprised that people thought there would be something going on?

She really didn't respond, not even a look, at least that I was aware of. But then it's not the first she's been ridden about her non-relationship with Castle, so she's probably less surprised and more annoyed by it all.

krentzfan

[18]Apr 24, 2010
    Loved this episode although it was kinda sad seeing Castle 'admitting' he has lost to that 'pretty boy' ;D Loved the scene where Espisito introduced his partners too

lexlou

[19]Jun 8, 2010
    • level: 10

totally loved the ep- have put it on the ipod- totally love Jon

and it is nice to see the others get screen time - hoping in s3 that there is more

background stories on he others characters

(i have to say that im on the fence about wheater castle and kate should be together)

andsome of thelookson castle face when kate is around demming

are pure classic