Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: Last Call 3x10 (Dec 6)

TesserT

[1]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 74
    Let's discuss Monday's episode Last Call here.

from ABC.go.com: When the body of a dockworker turned bar owner is found floating in the East River, Castle and Beckett's investigation takes them into the forgotten tunnels and passageways of turn-of-the-century New York, where they uncover a secret that's been buried since the days of Prohibition. The story celebrates New York bar culture, setting Castle on a quest to preserve history by buying a bar of his very own.

Check out the promo over at ABC.com. How far some people will go! Thought you'd never ask!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sandbur

[2]Dec 6, 2010
    • level: 25

Loved it. But I always do. How fun that Castle owns a pub now, with some history at that. I'd certainly love a taste of a Scotch with that kind of age on it...Laughing

BarryWeen3

[3]Dec 6, 2010
    • level: 14
    It was a fun episode watching how giddy Castle was in his discussions with Beckett about the history of the bar and the tunnels and prohibition, etc. And now he owns a tavern, good for him. Watching his and Beckett's conversations, I kinda of forgot about the case for a while. Pick-up Pete was a fun drunk. That was also a fun ending of all of them singing Piano Man and heading off to share Castle's scotch at Castle's tavern.

This kind of fun and banter is what I miss from Bones nowadays.

PhDnotMD

[5]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 5
    sandbur wrote:

Loved it. But I always do. How fun that Castle owns a pub now, with some history at that. I'd certainly love a taste of a Scotch with that kind of age on it...Laughing

Well, you can get as close as possible by buying stock from "The Lost Distilleries":http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/LostDistilleries.aspx

They may not be 135 years old, but you can find them at least back to the 60s.

PhDnotMD

[6]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 5
    Oh, and the $26,000 price is nothing - a big mistake on their part besides spelling it Whiskey instead of Whisky. A Lalique crystal decanter containing a 64 year old The Macallan whisky sold at auction last month for $460,000.

enctv

[7]Dec 7, 2010

Who is Josh? Beckett was researching with Josh, who is that?

Dewbak75

[8]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 18

enctv wrote:

Who is Josh? Beckett was researching with Josh, who is that?

I'm guessing that's her cardiac-surgeon boyfriend

cylex7

[9]Dec 7, 2010
    • level: 2

Wonderful episode. Forgot about the british guy. HATED the drunk guy. Funny how I'm going to watch Boardwalk Empire after this...

Anyone know where I can find the song when Castle is mixing the martinis? Thanks!

BarryWeen3

[10]Dec 8, 2010
    cylex7 wrote:

Wonderful episode. Forgot about the british guy. HATED the drunk guy. Funny how I'm going to watch Boardwalk Empire after this...

Anyone know where I can find the song when Castle is mixing the martinis? Thanks!

Awww...come on...as long as they're not belligerent or too far drunk...tipsy people are hilarious.

Like Ross and Rachel in Vegas, Mr. Hammerstein's wife in Miracle on 34th Street, etc.

I think the drunk guy was fun, annoying, but fun...
    Edited on 12/08/2010 4:39am

RoverGuy

[11]Dec 8, 2010
    • level: 9

Who else expected Castle to drop that bottle at the end. After the Chief handed it too him, I thought "He is going to do soemthing stupid and drop it". I guess that would have been to cliche for the writers.

I also liked the look on Castles face when he suggested she undo a few buttons on her shirt to talk to the bartender, and then she actually did it. Great Castle/Beckett moments abound in this one.

I wonder how the tavern is going to figure in future storylines.

BarryWeen3

[12]Dec 8, 2010
    RoverGuy wrote:

Who else expected Castle to drop that bottle at the end. After the Chief handed it too him, I thought "He is going to do soemthing stupid and drop it". I guess that would have been to cliche for the writers.

I also liked the look on Castles face when he suggested she undo a few buttons on her shirt to talk to the bartender, and then she actually did it. Great Castle/Beckett moments abound in this one.

I wonder how the tavern is going to figure in future storylines.

And it's Castle/Beckett moments like those that make it hard to believe they actually have any kind of relationship with Gina and Josh. Since her appearance in last season's finale, Gina's appeared twice and we've only seen Josh once. And they're barely mentioned in passing or in conversations.

Starprincess13

[13]Dec 9, 2010
    • level: 24

Overall, I quite liked this episode. I really liked the case and the scene where Castle tells Beckett to unbutton another button. I also loved the final scene.

sherv22

[14]Dec 9, 2010

[QUOTE="BarryWeen3"]

RoverGuy wrote:
    And it's Castle/Beckett moments like those that make it hard to believe they actually have any kind of relationship with Gina and Josh. Since her appearance in last season's finale, Gina's appeared twice and we've only seen Josh once. And they're barely mentioned in passing or in conversations.

Yeah, this is one of my few criticisms of the show this season. There's no point in introducing romantic foils if you're not going to use them. Much as I love Castle and Beckett bantering, I thought we were finally going to flesh out Beckett's life when she's not on the job or not playing nanny to Castle, and so far that hasn't happened except in the occasional mention of some offscreen thing. Same deal with Castle and his ex, thought the show was going to go into why he married and divorced her as a window into his life pre-Beckett. The way they play with each other now, it's a little too easy to think that they've really got nothing else going on on the side.

As for the episode, the Billy Joel singalong at the end was pretty cringe-worthy, but otherwise it was fun as usual.

BarryWeen3

[16]Dec 9, 2010
    [QUOTE="MuteTroubadouR"]

sherv22 wrote:

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    RoverGuy wrote:

Yeah, this is one of my few criticisms of the show this season. There's no point in introducing romantic foils if you're not going to use them. Much as I love Castle and Beckett bantering, I thought we were finally going to flesh out Beckett's life when she's not on the job or not playing nanny to Castle, and so far that hasn't happened except in the occasional mention of some offscreen thing. Same deal with Castle and his ex, thought the show was going to go into why he married and divorced her as a window into his life pre-Beckett. The way they play with each other now, it's a little too easy to think that they've really got nothing else going on on the side.

I'm actually very glad they aren't stuffing the other romantic interests down our throats. I like that at the moment they are keeping it really simple with all of that and not letting it completely overtake Castle and Beckett's interactions, or the entire show for that matter. But maybe I'm just reacting to that exact thing happening over in Bones. lol.

No, I agree with you. It's hard to believe on Castle that the two main characters have side relationsips which is in stark contrast to Bones where the side relationships are front and center.

***SPOILER***
    Edited on 12/10/2010 9:39am

BarryWeen3

[18]Dec 10, 2010
    MuteTroubadouR wrote:
    Hey, you might want to put a lot of that in spoiler tags.

Done.

haldrey

[19]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 22
    Loved this episode and owning a bar with all that history, nice. All those bottles deserved a place in a museum, but empty!

the357boa

[20]Dec 20, 2010
    • level: 1

Did no one catch th C.H.U.D. reference??? I cracked up as I had just watched the movie 3 days before "Last Call" aired. Anyone here old enough to remember C.H.U.D. ?