Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: Recoil 5x13 (Feb 4)

TesserT

[1]Feb 3, 2013
    • level: 75
    Please use this thread to discuss episode Recoil. Enjoy!

From ABC.go : Castle and Beckett discover evidence that links a young woman's murder to Sen. William H. Bracken -- the man responsible for the murder of Beckett's mother; Beckett faces complications as she tries to finally bring Bracken to justice.

Check out the promo over at ABC.com: She's ready to kill him! This is my choice to finally make him pay.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

matthewgiven3

[2]Feb 4, 2013
    • level: 4

Please don't take this the wrong way because I am not saying this episode or the show is bad,but it is being built up as an important episode but I have a feeling it is just going to be a filler episode. I mean we all know Bracken isn't going down so it's going to be an episode where Beckett is very upset and spends the run time building a case only to have it fall apart in the last five minutes and Bracken smiles at her and walks away and nothing that happened in it will ever be mentioned again. That is just the way TV works. Since Bracken can't go down until the series final I wish they would just leave the case alone until the series final when something can happen besides the reset button being pushed. That is just how I feel if i can see the ending coming the episode feels kind of pointless to me. I am willing to admit I may be alone in this.

eric770

[3]Feb 4, 2013

I really want to like this show, but I can't shut off my brain and watch TV! I'm not buying Becket going above and beyond, even putting her life in danger by trying to save the man who killed her mother!I'm sorry, but it was just too cheesy to have her doing a last minute save, and why did the killer activate the bomb so soon? I believe by having her be so instrumental in saving the alleged object of her hatred and obsession basically kill any credibility they had to continuing the quest to bring him to justice! I have no more interest in caring about seeing him go down and episodes like this where they writers seem to spin their wheels while adding nothing to the story itself make me pass on continuing to watch the show unfold.

matthewgiven3

[4]Feb 4, 2013

I find the message this show is sending by turning Bracken into a hero and saying that he had every right to murder those people and he should be president morally offensive so I am done with this show and will not touch any other ABC products until it is canceled the writers and producers are fired.

Tonight's episode offended me in ever way a Tv show could.

wildhoney66

[5]Feb 5, 2013
    • level: 13

it didn't offend me at all. SERIOSULY there are tv shows and movies who are way more offensive than than. i'm sorry but i get tired of people getting offended by one episode and saying how dare they. i think the reason that she saved him was really only cause so she could put him in jail at some point. but i would have let him die to be honest. like Castle Said

who said she wasn't being a smartass when she said that? cause let's face it politcians are dirty and though there are some that are cleaner than others to be honest. i dunno how many are like Bracken is, but i'm sure not all of them resort to murder. my point is she may have been kidding.

i thought it was a good episode but not a great one. and it did have it's flaws of course. it didn't take me away of the show. here's a Spoiler and yes it's not the spoiler section but my point is posting is to show what Matthew will miss.and don't worry it's just one tid bit.

his father is going to be coming on the show this month so you'll miss that. ok i'm done anyways, people get offended far too damn easily these days. but if you want to stop watching one of the best shows on tv i can't stop you.

matthewgiven3

[6]Feb 8, 2013

Well after doing some thinking I have decided that the only way I can continue watching this show is if I skip all future Bracken episodes. See murders get away scott free just makes me feel ill and upsets me too much,that is why I avoid the news. Since bracken cane never be brought to justice because the show will be over without him I am just going to pretend he is not part of the show and if i see him in the previews I just will not watch that week. That way I avoid getting upset and I avoid upsetting other people.

Sorry I have had this problem where seeing evil people get away on the news or Tv has always upset me ever since I was kid. I think it's best if I avoid this plot line from now on.

wildhoney66

[7]Feb 8, 2013

i'm sorry but you are an idiot. ok real life yeah that upsets me when the actual murderer or whatever crime it happens to be gets away that does bother me and anyone who that doesn't bother is an idiot. but when it comes to tv shows yea it can be bothersome but it comes to tv shows and movies they do storylines that do things like Bracken where they are guilty and get away with it all the time. but 9 times out of ten they end up having some justice done to them may it be getting killed or getting thrown in jail. hell on the show LOST we had Ben who was an evil mofo and they did explain why yet he was a great character and he did later redeem himself at some point.

on castle there is no doubt that bracken at some point will get what's coming to him. even if it's in the series finale. and to ignore that really ignores what the story of kate's mom's murder is about. we found out who killed her this season ok i am no doubt thrilled about that. but there is no doubt that we aren't going to see him thrown in jail by the end of the season.

i do agree that it' s stupid she let him live. but now he owes her for one thing, and she also mostly wants i think him in jail more so than dead. i'd want him dead if i was her. but since she's a cop and all. i think when it comes to tv shows you need to take a chill pill as an old saying goes and think that at some point he will see justice no doubt. kinda like on how we will at some point find out who Red John is on 'The Mentalist'

even if it's the last episode we will find out who it is. and weather Patrick Jane kills him or not as well. the same thing on Castle. yes we know who the killer is but the thing is it's part of the main story of the show. the rest of course is the relationships. but her mom's murder is a main part of the show. and ignoring episodes that deal with that is just plain stupid. just cause you don't like the outcome.

i did enjoy this episode a LOT but it wasn't one of the best ones this season. and i do admit having him not be the one as the killer was kinda nice cause the writers kinda threw you a curveball where you expected it to be him. and it's not well not this time. so it was nice ya know?

matthewgiven3

[8]Feb 8, 2013

I am sorry that I am such an idiot but i can't help the fact that when I get caught up in a story sometimes it can upset me that is just the way I am wired and since I have to live with it then it is either give up Castle or just avoid the Bracken episodes because they will upset me too much.

I am sorry I am an idiot but that is just the best solution I can come up with. Sorry for being so stupid.

Also my other problem is that he kills everyone who gets in his way so by saving his life Beckett is helping him do to someone else some day what was done to her,and then for her to be upset by the idea of his dying makes no sense. It looks like to me Bracken had gotten himself caught in his own twisted web and Beckett should have let him reap what he sowed instead of helping him go on killing. I just don't see how anyone could live with themselves if they know the pain of having a loved one murdered and then they saved the life of someone who is going to murder other people's loved ones. Also he is still out to kill her so she basically chose to commit suicide when she saved him. Nothing about this strikes me as right or smart at all.

Edited on 02/08/2013 8:48pm

wildhoney66

[9]Feb 10, 2013

well 1stly it's just a tv show NOT real life. also though she may be killing other people not knowing that. i look at it this way kate is a cop and had she let him die yes the world would have been a better place there is no doubt about that. but unlike him she has a consience and when we saw her considering on getting rid of evidence we also find out she didn't get rid of it. meaning that while it would have prolly helped her feel better if he was dead. since he is such in the public eye had he died and this is before she saved him let me add.

she realiazed that would be to much of a burden to bear to let her personal feelings get in the way no matter how she felt about it or not.

she's a cop and knows that it would at some point get out. even if it was just by accident things like that get out at some point. they always do.

and she didn't want to be dirty like him. so that's prolly why she also saved him. plus having him get killed is as easy way out to get rid of him. she wants i think the pleasure of putting the handcuffs on herself. and throwing his ass jail for good. and that's why she went to her shrienk is that she was freaking out about it. and she knows castle would have told her not to get rid of the evidence cause it would ruin her career.

if it got out. a friend of my family's anyways in (1989) their 10 year old daughter was kidnapped and killed an her body was found in Jan. of (1990)

i wasn't that close to her so it didn't effect me quite as much as it did other members of my family like my parents for example. my older brother i don't think it affected him as much as it did other people as well but since he's got kids now he even to me that he doesn't know what he'd do if that heppend to his kids. which is an honest answer. anyways her killer was never found. i don't think it has anything to do with anyone in policts as far as i know. in short nothing as someone like Braken. as far as i know.

would i love to see this guy dead? yes i would but what i'd love more rather than see him dead is to spend the rest of his life in jail cause killing him is just to easy. it means he doesn't have to sit and think about what he had done. and if you kill someone like with Bracken it's not having him do that. so i'd rather have him spend the rest of his life behind bars that way he can get Bubba after him in case he drops the soap.

that won't happen if he gets killed by say the son or daughter for example. and this is also what kate thought about as well. so that's why he was saved. also when it comes to tv letting killers off they do that every now and than cause it's not realistic if they get caught all the time cause in real life that doesn't happen. in CSI season 1 they had an episode where this dude on an airplane was killed cause it turned out he had something wrong with him and the entire plane ended up kicking him to death cause he was making so much noise.

they only had so many hrs. to prove it but at the end they all got away with it. cause they had run out of time to get the answers more and the evidence as well.

than there was in season 3-5 one of those seasons when "Catherine's Ex Husband is killed it's been awhile since i last saw it so i may have this wrong but i believe they find out who did it but the evidence i think was destoryed cause of water or something. and the killer who they i think found out who it was but they had no evidence in getting the killer. that stuff no doubt happens in real life. just like when Amy that's her name was killed over 20 years ago. they have been getting evidence through the years and with all the toys they use now they didn't have any of that during the 90's. so they now can maybe get closer to finding the truth on who did it.

my point is like in tv shows the stuff we want to happen doesn't always happen.

and you shouldn't get upset when something in a tv show happens that you don't like. when you don't know that it won't ever be solved it may be. he may get thrown in jail at some point. it's a bit like 'the x-files' where Muldars sister being missing lasted until season 6 or season 7 where he finally does find out she was dead. and he finally could move on from that. before that we would get teased on weather she was alive or dead. and it would piss me off sure. but i'm not going to stop watching those episodes cause you never know if the next time if Kate doesn't get evidence where she can thrown him in jail.

cause you never know. ya know? my point is it's only a tv show so don't even bother getting that upset about it. it's just not worth it.

haldrey

[10]Feb 11, 2013
    • level: 22
    I have to agree with wildhoney66 on most issues. by the way, this episode was no filler by any chance.

matthewgiven3

[11]Feb 11, 2013

Yeah I guess. It's just I tried watching the episode again and the only thing I could think every time Bracken was on screen was "How many people is he having killed while they are just standing here talking to him trying to save his life?",I mean that's his MO. Last year he had a woman killed not because she got in his way but just because he wanted to make sure he wouldn't have to run against the mayor when he runs for president. It's just makes me sick and the show asks us to invest in this case but we know he is never going to jail because as he pointed out there is no way for a cop to send a senator to jail. I am not sure I buy that Bracken will ever regret his actions,you heard him he thinks of himself as a hero and I think he will always think of himself that way no matter how much time he spend in jail. My ideal ending for this plot line would be Bracken stabbed to death and left to die in a pile of garbage. That way while he may not feel sorry for what he did he will have the time it takes him to bleed out to think about the fact that despite all the power he had and all the people he killed he ended up dying exactly the same way as one of the people he killed. That would be justice if you ask me.

wildhoney66

[12]Feb 11, 2013

like i said it's only a tv show and in tv shows they do at some get what's coming to them. even if it takes a long time to get that. again on the show 'CSI" the home show we all know that catherine's father was an evil guy who tried to play the good guy. but he was a bad dude who got away with murder for years. than the writers had him get killed off at some point. in short he got was coming to him.

and the last season of CSI:Miami they had a serial killer who got away with all the murders cause of who he was and who he knew. and in the season finale well i turned out to be the series finale he was either arrested or killed i forget which. but in short he got what was coming to him.

and even the dude who killed H's wife got what was coming to him quite a few times actually. anyways, my point is when you see tv shows do storylines where they have characters that seem to get away with this or that for a long period of time they do at some point get what's coming to them, sometimes they last longer on the show because fans love to hate the character kinda like "J.R. on "Dallas' but even they had him get his due a few times. but anyways, on the way they are getting rid of him since "Larry Hagman's passing is i believe they are having some kind of enemy having finally killed him. and honestly that i kinda like cause i think even Hagman would like that.

and it shows that it stays true to the character and gives the people who are good he screwed over the justice they deserve. my point is fan love that chracter and when JR would do something evil they'd get mad at him depending on what it is. and they'd want to know what he's doing to do next? i think it may be something like this when it comes to Bracken fans may love to hate the chracter. honestly i am a huge fan of "Jack Coleman' that guy is awesome.

and he was cast perfectly for the role. in short i do think he will get what's coming to him at some point. anyways your arguemnt has me thinking that you don't watch stuff that has serial killers in them cause if you watch some things like the current one on the show 'Bones'

he's a smart serial killer and i know he'll get his due at some point. but it's still fun to watch ya know?