Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: Secret Santa 5x09 (Dec 3)

TesserT

[1]Dec 1, 2012
    • level: 78
    Please use this thread to discuss episode Secret Santa. Enjoy!

From ABC.go : Castle and Beckett investigate when a bearded man named Kris Kringle falls from the sky in Central Park; Beckett and Castle work on a Christmas list together.

Check out the promo over at ABC.com A mystery of sorts! Santa is dead!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]Dec 7, 2012
    • level: 13

not one of the best episodes but it was an enjoyable one. it had it's moments. and i loved seeing Alexis and Martha actually get some well ACTUAL SCREEN TIME! sorry for the capital words but it warrented it since they really haven't been used much this season at all.

i loved how Martha did get right off that he wanted Beckett to be there at Dinner with them and thought it was funny that Alexis as smart as she is had no idea that was why he was depressed. or rather what they were talking about that was pretty funny. anyways this is a 1st today's now saturday and nobody's said anything about this episode and it aired nearly a week ago now! i can't wait until Jan. 7th when the show comes back!

haldrey

[3]Dec 8, 2012
    • level: 22
    Alexis and Martha characters have taken a lot more center stage for the past three or four episodes, something that their characters deserved. Now this episode was as always quite entertaining, not only because of the main storyline but because Esposito got center stage at last, now they have to give Ryan more screen time.

wildhoney66

[4]Dec 8, 2012

oh i agree it was nice to see him have more screen time as well. and having castle tell Kate about why he loves x-mas was a nice scene either.

i guess i'm just like Espo, no so much in a x-mas mood that's all. in fact i can't wait until it's over! he he. anyways as for the show i love how they are writing kate and Castle's relationship don't get me wrong i love it! but i wish they give his family and Ryan and Espo more episodes where they get more character developement! also one wonders if Kate's dad and Martha end up either dating or just good friends cause their kids are now dating.

BarryWeen3

[5]Dec 8, 2012
    • level: 14

From the spoilers I've seen of the second half of this season leading up to the February sweeps period,
    ***SPOILER***

In any case, the second half of season 5 looks to be very interesting.

wildhoney66

[6]Dec 9, 2012

i think i know the article you are talking about i read that as well. Marlowe has fun teasing the fans and that's fine cause at least with him he's honest with them and the things he says pretty much come true. he teased for the x-mas episode about maybe a ring or something for x-mas that castle got Kate. but that didn't happen and that's actually something i can live with.

cause since they are in a new relationship still. as for the M word that was a tease he did for the finale. the way i look at that as well is if it does happen it happens and if it doesn't it doesn't and that's another thing that won't upset me cause Rick & Kate have been together what half a year now? if we go by the season premire taking place in May. like the finale did. so i think having them do the M word is just to soon.

that doesn't mean someone else won't get do that though. this is just guess work on my part of course. i say it like this cause Andrew Marlowe is the only show runner like i said who is honest with the fans and things he says most of the time do come true. he isn't one of those people who says this is going to happen during this or that season than it never happens. so this is why i give him the benefit of the doubt.

1view

[7]Dec 9, 2012
    • level: 1

okay..i declare that i have bad hearing for this show...AGAIN--i had to look at abc.com's episode recap to understand what happened. i dunno wats the deal, but for this show i can only understand like 60% of the dialogue lol.

BarryWeen3

[8]Dec 10, 2012

Wildhoney,

If I'm remembering correctly in regards to the M word for the finale, he didn't specifically state what finale he was referring to. He just said possibly consider for the finale but which finale, this season, some season in the future, series... So it's still vague enough, assuming I'm remembering correctly.

wildhoney66

[9]Dec 10, 2012

fair enough i just assumed he meant this season but if they had them get married in the series finale that wouldn't bother me. or at least in a couple years down the line if it isn't the finale. i just assumed it was this finale cause he was if my memory serves me right talking about this season. so if he's talking about another one i can live with that. i'm not one of those fans who are wanting them to rush to the alter or anything like that. the writing when it comes to relationships isn't always realistic when it comes to tv shows. and it kinda does feel like they are making it realistic more so than most shows on tv do. and i love that.

how about you how do you want the season to end? i dunno honestly how i'd want it to end. i'm curious if Gates does know that Castle and Kate are dating now. she was actually pretty likable in this episode. and i also loved that castle got her that gift and it got me mad a little that they didn't show what he got her cause i was curious if he got her another of that doll she loves ya know to replace the one he like a jackass broke awhile back.

BarryWeen3

[10]Dec 14, 2012

If it so happens that Castle proposes in the season finale, that would be fine, but I just don't see it happening this season as they've just moved into the early phase of being a couple and I just don't see Beckett being ready yet. Like I said I don't remember specifically if Marlowe was referring to this season when he brought up the M word.

I also don't necessarily want marriage to be the series finale but that may be because I've been reading too much Castle fanfiction lately, so the idea of, as Madison put it, little Castle babies being on the show might be interesting.

As for a season finale, we know that Bracken is set to return again this season, but from what I read, that's set for before the finale. Marlowe also mentioned the two-parter this season possibly having to do with Castle's father.

Let's see past history:

Season 1 finale was the revelation on Johanna Beckett's murder

Season 2 two-parter was serial killer Scott Dunn and finale was the Beckett/Demming/Castle/Gina fiasco

Season 3 two-parter was home-grown terrorists and finale was Beckett's shooting

Season 4 two-parter was CIA and elaborate conspiracy plot and finale was Caskett...finally

Hmmm...looks like the finales have alternated with something having to do with the Johanna murder conspiracy and the Caskett relationship, so maybe I was wrong and the Season 5 finale will be the spoiler material I've been reading about pertaining to the return of Senator Bracken.

I really do hope that Marlowe goes ahead with the idea of this season's two-parter invovling Castle's mysterious father. There's a pretty good and interesting take on who Castle's father is on fanfiction.net by Shutterbug5269 that is consistent with what Sophia Turner revealed last season, assuming she wasn't lying when she made that revelation.

Anywho, enough rambling and speculation from me.

wildhoney66

[11]Dec 15, 2012

for now anyways. he he i read i forget where that braken episode is i think in feb. in time for sweeps.

as for the 2 parter like you said with his dad from my understading they haven't made their minds up on that one yet. as for fan fiction i never can get into that stuff. doctor has tons of it! some of it gets published too. cause if you really think about it the current books that come out that are doctor who books are most of the time written by fans of the show.

of the original books they were i believe written by the original writers who wrote this or that serial.

but the ones i'm talking about are the ones put out since the current version started nearly 10 years ago now!

anyways that's my take on it anyways. i do remember reading that when Jack Coleman who i just love was cast as Bracken before the season started it was announced it would be i think recurring or whatever it's called when you have a chracter that's part of the storyline for a show

like the "Mike Franks' chracter on NCIS where even though they killed him a season or two ago. he wasn't part of the main cast but he sometimes appeared quite a few times a season. as for fan fiction the only one that i found interesting but never got around to reading it was one that i forget who writes it, but there's a site where there was one at one time where it contined right where "Dark Shadows' left off cause it's "Dark Shadows' fan fiction i wish i could remember the name of that site!

matthewgiven3

[12]Dec 18, 2012
    • level: 4

I think this may be tied with the final frontier as my favorite episode of this season if not of all time. There were great moments for all the characters. The case left me guessing until the end and the Castle/Beckett relationship took a big step forward. Some fans complain that Beckett has not said I love you yet but I don't know how much louder she could have said it with actions then by changing what she has done every christmas for the past 15 years to make Castle happy. Oh and it may be a small thing but am I the only one who laughed at the look on Alexis' face when Castle said there was somewhere he needed to be? The poor girl canceled on her boyfriend for her dad only to have him leave for his girlfriend after he made such a big deal about Christmas. Ouch!

wildhoney66

[13]Dec 31, 2012

yes i did notice that. i wondering if she knew what he was talking about or not. it isn't my favorite episode of castle but it's got it's moments that's for sure.

matthewgiven3

[14]Jan 2, 2013

I love the way Martha put out her hand to calm a clearly confused Alexis down so Castle can leave with out a fuss. That is one of the things I love about this cast. They can do so much with just a second or two of screen time and no dialog. Also I like that it seems Espo may have found something. This was the perfect christmas episode.

wildhoney66

[15]Jan 3, 2013

i dunno i hope so. i think it was more cause he was lonely but maybe so. i also loved the look on alexis face. i can't wait until Monday! cause i think it's the 1st new episode of (2013)! and from what i read about it Castle's ass is going to be grass with Kate, i know this isn't a spoiler thread but check out what it's about and you'll see what i mean.

matthewgiven3

[16]Jan 3, 2013

While I am sure there will be a rough scene or two I am also sure it will be nowhere near as bad as the adds make it look because it never is. Also I think the reason for this episode overall is to give Beckett a chance to find out that what happened with Meridith was not Castle's fault. I really don't think we are going to see them in any real danger of breaking up since I think Marlowe knows that if that happened the show would lose it's fanbase and without it's fanbase Castle is DOA. I am hoping there will be some fun moments in this episode that we are just not being shown. I really don't like it when an episode is all agnst driven.

wildhoney66

[17]Jan 4, 2013

oh i'm not worried about them breaking up. i watch a lot of drama tv so angst doesn't bother me, but when it comes to this show while it doesn't bother me if it has it, each episode of course doesn't need to have it either. and i am also well aware how tv ads make the tv episode more than it actually it is. though it does give the ending away sometimes in some shows as well.

cause for some reason that's the clip the network or networks decided to use for some strange reason?

matthewgiven3

[18]Jan 5, 2013

Yeah and don't get me started on times when a TV show or movie tries to create suspense on if a character is alive or dead but the trailer shows one of the last scenes with the character alive thus destroying the suspense when you watch the show or movie.

wildhoney66

[19]Jan 6, 2013

i don't think i need to my friend we both already pointed it out. i actually try not to let it bother me and most of the time it doesn't but i think for me it depends on what i'm watching and what the story is. take the show "lost' i hear they did that for that show. i don't really remember but

when they do these previews most of the time i plump forget about what's being shown a lot of the time. tv wise i recall when castle was held up in the bank last season the ads made it out like castle was really badly injured when he cleary wasn't. i know they do it to get ratings and viewers. but they i think get carried away at times.

matthewgiven3

[20]Jan 7, 2013

Yes and I think in Castle's case a case could be made that those types of tricks are not needed since the show keeps such solid ratings.

I remember back on Deep Space Nine Dax's death in an episode came out of left field and was really shocking,of at least it would have been if they didn't show it repeatedly in the adds that aired for a week before the episode. I hate it when things like that happen.