Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: Secret's Safe With Me 5x03 (Oct 8 )

TesserT

[1]Oct 7, 2012
    • level: 77
    Please use this thread to discuss episode Secret's Safe With Me. Enjoy!

From ABC.go: When a woman is murdered, Castle and Beckett think a repossessed storage unit may have a connection to her death.

Check out the promo over at ABC.com Keep bidding! I call that a motive for murder.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JonathonWolf

[2]Oct 8, 2012
    • level: 10
    I was thinking the other day that Castle and Beckett's attempts to keep from flirting together at the precinct would make an interesting twist on the usual sexual tension for everyone to misconstrue as normal. I was hoping to see that get played out this episode, but I guess that'll have to wait.

Of course, I saw the significance of the doll as soon as he gave it to Gates. I am a bit saddened by Castle failing to realize that the stuff got put into the doll, so there must be a way to get it out without sending his relationship with Gates back to status quo. Though, it is always funny to see her giving him crap. If he's smart, he'll use his spare time to search for and replace those dolls. I'm sure it would ingratiate him with her if he apologized when he presented them to her as well.

Canada_Michael

[3]Oct 9, 2012

I found Castle just going into the office & breaking the doll dumb, & no one stopped him.

wildhoney66

[4]Oct 9, 2012
    • level: 13

oh i agree 100% somebody should have stopped him going in and from breaking it. i saw that coming a mile away. i didn't expect it to take as long as it did. and to be fair on how slow it was for him to realize something was inside it i think he was to shocked by gates reaction to really give any thought about it. like they said on the IMDB boards if he's smart he'll go in search for another one, he's got connections i'm sure.

funny enough i didn't expect the killer to be who it was. yes it's old fashioned and i knew to be honest at some point it was going to happen but what's surprising is that they didn't do it SOONER!

haldrey

[5]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 22
    One of the few Castle episodes where the case sometimes got a bit awkward but as emotional and cute moments goes it was tops.

wildhoney66

[6]Oct 11, 2012

oh i have nothing against the case it kept me interested. though i don't think castle needed to destroy the doll like he did

BarryWeen3

[7]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 14

wildhoney66 wrote:

oh i have nothing against the case it kept me interested. though i don't think castle needed to destroy the doll like he did

Of course he did, it broke the curse of Creepy Gates.

wildhoney66

[8]Oct 13, 2012

it was strange i'll give you that but it was also nice as hell that she was nice to him as well. i hope castle finds another doll for her. cause frankly her not liking him has kinda gotten old. honestly i would rather have a guy like montemgery back who was pretty laid back but also could be a dick as well when it was required. or if it was a woman it wouldn't bother me either. either way i can't stand gates.

wildhoney66

[9]Oct 13, 2012

i was thinking about this tonight, you know what would be nice and different? is this, have castle and Beckett stay together as a couple the rest of the series! the reason i say this is cause let's face it, most shows get their leads together yes sometimes for a full season and than break them up and get them back together etc.. you get the idea and they do this for ratings of course. i think andrew marlow should do this they keep them as a couple the rest of the series and of course have drama when needed, there's no doubt about that.

upon doing this makes the show more realistic cause not everyone breaks up that often with whoever they are dating. yes it can happen but i can say that on say "Brothers and Sisters' they didn't have the leads always break up with whoever they set them up with. and it worked. most of the time when they would put certain couple together they would stay together!

anyways, so i think "Castle' would be an even better show if they did that. it's nice and different i think. we will get the high's and lows of their relationship yes. some of it would be drama and i have no issues with that. and some of it would be funny as well. just like real life where

couples have problems and they don't always break up they work on it. and i think it would be fun to see castle learn from the mistakes he'll make with her as a couple and also mistakes she learns as well. so it would go both ways. i don't think you would lose viewers doing that. maybe even gain even more! honestly this season has worked even better than i had hoped and my hopes were pretty high too. what does anyone else think?

Canada_Michael

[10]Oct 14, 2012

I wouldn't mind them doing that, but I don't have faith that they will. I think that breaking them up at some point is toopredictable, but it's an easy way to generate drama & that's why I think they will break them up .

mnementh01

[11]Oct 14, 2012
    I'd say they writers CAN'T break them up for the simple reason that the show has no basis to continue if they are at loggerheads.

The only way it COULD go on is if the break up is amicable and for ratings, I really don't see that being likely.

Now they're together, they should stay together.

wildhoney66

[12]Oct 14, 2012

oh i agree with the both of you. that was my point as well that they should keep them together. and andrew marlow honestly seems to be a pretty smart guy and has done different stuff on castle than most shows have done. while at the same time also

pretty much done the same crap as well. so he's in short done a little bit of both. like the killer in this episode for example yes it's been done to death and kind of old fashioned but i also fully expected them to do it at some point in any season so in short i saw that coming at some point.

BarryWeen3

[13]Oct 15, 2012

I'll repeat what I've said in other websites/forums, Andrew Marlowe will not, repeat will not, be doing that whole break them up just to bring them back together dance with Castle and Beckett. He's said in several interviews that he's not going to because he doesn't believe it's realistic and it's not very good as a plot device. Now that they're together, they'll be staying together. It doesn't mean they won't have problems like any other couple because at their core, Castle is still Castle and Beckett is still Beckett. We've already seen evidence of this in the second episode with the bikini babe. Castle the show is at its core a love story wrapped up in a procedural.

wildhoney66

[14]Oct 15, 2012

actually i haven't heard or read him say this at all. so it's nice that he's NOT going to do that. though it does REALLY REALLY PISS me off that we won't get a new episode for 2 weeks! prolly cause of something stupid like that retarded dance show

BarryWeen3

[15]Oct 16, 2012

Hi Wildhoney,

The reason for the two weeks is because of the presidential debates.

I don't have the links to the interviews where he's talked about not doing the whole break-up/reunite dance off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure I can find some if I search Castletv.net.

wildhoney66

[16]Oct 16, 2012

i heard about this on i think on IMDB board. still i'd rather watch grass grow than watch anything to do with politics. that's just 2 hrs of 2 guys talking out of their ass. and that's it. but to each their own ya know?

and it's also great and NEW when i hear him talk like this. he's right though it isn't realistic.

most tv shows don't care all they care about ratings. "Castle' has never had 20 million viewers and it's run by a guy who seems to have a brain

and not obessed with getting ratings. but that doesn't mean he doesn't do episodes to get them either.

what do you think?

BarryWeen3

[17]Oct 18, 2012

I think that Andrew Marlowe had a plan when he created this show and he knows what he's doing and where he wants the characters to go and of course, he has a great writing team. I believe some people are not aware what this show at its core is about and that is a love story wrapped in the trappings of a procedural. The show is based after all on the relationship between AM and his wife.

As for the ratings, the ratings when you take into account delayed viewing, which networks are really starting to take into account nowdays as viewers are changing the way they watch shows, are pretty good. I think networks are becoming aware that viewers aren't just watching live anymore, there's DVRs, TiVo, Hulu, other online sources, etc. Hell, I don't think I've watched a single episode of any of the shows I followlive this fall season yet, probably explains the huge backlog of shows on my TiVo.

One annoying I thing I find is the perpetual myth that is the Moonlighting curse. There is no curse. There was a lot more going on behind the scenes of Moonlighting that led to its demise and none of it had to do with getting the two main characters together. I think nowdays the "curse" is used as an excuse more than anything because most shows' creators and/or writers are fearful because it's probably for some reason they find it much harder to write characters in a relationship while still keeping the dynamic of why those characters are interesting in the first place intact.

And that explanation I don't really feel strongly in either because this season of Castle proves that you can and I think the writers on Friends also did a good job when the got Monica and Chandler together. In fact, I found Monica and Chandler together were even funnier because you have these two characters with their quirks and insecurities and putting that combination together led to even more fun. Similarly, even though Castle and Beckett are together now, they will still have their ups and downs and we will still see what we liked about them occur because Beckett is still Beckett and Castle is still Castle.

Okay, that's enough rambling for now.

wildhoney66

[18]Oct 18, 2012

i agree man i agree, i'm tired of hearing 2 things 1. is about this damn moonlighting curse. i just posted about just that on a site recently on why the show supposely went bad. cause honestly. i don't even think i've seen 1 episode of that show. another saying that needs to well DIE is the saying Jump the shark. i like happy days, i enjoy the show before that happed in the show and i enjoy it at the end as well. and of course

i get tired of people using these nick names for couples in tv shows of course. it could be either for a tv show or some famous couple. i get tired of it, how about you? i do agree that on some shows the will they or won't they can run far too long. like on well 'Bones' i love the show and i have loved this season so far. and last season as well. really the only season for that one that's really for me bad is the 1st half of season 6.

anyways, my point is they waited far to long to get those 2 together. some shows do that. all shows try different things and some are a hit and some fail. on friends when they put monica & chandler for a booty call in that finale. and that was just going to be one of those things that happend and fans loved it. and it was a surprise hit for the fans and so they decided to put those together. the NCIS shows have the will they or won't they as well both shows, but with those shows they aren't the main storyline to be honest. and that's fine. and it's also a little bit on

'the mentalist' as well but not the main focus again. that doesn't bother me. but yes on castle it's handled WONDERFUL and it makes me with they would get together in real life as well. and i don't always say that either with most shows that i love.

BarryWeen3

[19]Oct 19, 2012

Most of the time couple nicknames don't bother mebut with Castle their nickname led to a fun meta moment in Episode 4. That meta moment indicates to me that the showrunners on that show pay attention what the fans are saying, not that it influences everything they do but it does seem to indicate they listen.

wildhoney66

[20]Oct 20, 2012

oh i'm not denying that. i think it's great they listen. i think bones does to a degree as well. i recall the actress who plays bones said in various interviews that she asked fans if they should get together.at conventions and they'd always scream NO!

than i think at some point they said YES! so they i think do listen to a degree. the people at castle seem to listen better to fans though.

and i love that.