Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: Significant Others 5x10 (Jan 7)

TesserT

[1]Jan 7, 2013
    • level: 78
    Please use this thread to discuss episode Significant Others. Enjoy!

From ABC.go : Several angry ex-husbands come under suspicion when a divorce attorney who only represented women is murdered; when Alexis gets sick, Castle's ex-wife moves into the loft to take care of her.

Check out the promo over at ABC.com: Castle gets an unexpected visitor! Hello kitten!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

matthewgiven3

[2]Jan 7, 2013
    • level: 4

I can't wait. I think like episode 508 this one will be more funny then angsty. ABC just likes to make it look angsty. I think the point of this episode's point will end up being for Castle and Beckett to have a story reason to talk about Castle's devoices. At any rate I am sure they will still me together at the end of the episode.

wildhoney66

[3]Jan 7, 2013
    • level: 13

you should really check out your spelling before you post. it's Divorce and be together. he he. but you are right i do think it will be funny cause you know castle will at first not think of it as a big deal of her being at his place his ex i mean. than someone will talk sense into him even if it's just one of the guys, or she will come on to him. and he'll regret it right away and instead of kicking her out like he should,

he'll prolly do it at some point, but it'll prolly be like this she'll end up on top of him in say her underwear and beckett will walk in on him. and think right way something happened. yes she know he loves her, but she also knows that when an ex spends the night in his apartment he normally sleeps with her. and yes it was before they started dating. but still she'll have her doubts. and if anyone is wondering if i am posting any spoilers i'm actually not. cause it actually hasn't aired here yet. it's only 7:35 pm here. so it hasn't aired yet. but stories like this has been done countless times i can just see it coming a mile away. unless castle does it differently. also i do agree that they will prolly write it with comedy as well as a little bit of angst. from his point of view it'll be comedy prolly and from her's it'll be a little bit of angst. but the entire episode prolly won't be as bad as the promos make it out to be.

matthewgiven3

[4]Jan 7, 2013

Yeah sorry about that. Internet explorer is the only browser I have found that this forum will work with and it doesn't support spellcheck. I think sometimes Castle just assumes that Beckett knows that after waiting all these years he would never cheat on her and that gets him into trouble. That is what happened in Cloudy. He just assumed she knew the only reason he would go on that date would be to hide their relationship from the public. Hey if your goal is to hide it then he was right,what better way is their then being seen on a date with someone else? Of course that working depends on Beckett not being worried about him being on a date with someone else

wildhoney66

[5]Jan 7, 2013

oh i'm just teasing you about your spelling, but you do have a point, i think he assumes too much. as we've said it here already on these forums.

we know he's not a cheater that we know of. and i do think your right though he assumes far to much. like you said accepting that date he should have talked about it with Kate 1stly. and knowing this she/they could have put down some ground rules. on what he could and couldn't do.

with of course sex being the no. 1 it also could have helped had kate told him that she wasn't accepting dates so he shouldn't either. so it was partly her fault as well. the thing is going by the promos mind you her saying your not the man i thought you were, she knows he's got plenty of faults, and we do not yet know if it was his idea that his ex stay there or if it was hers. sometimes it's not his idea and he gets roped into it somehow. but like i said he's smart on many things but when it comes to others he's not so bright.

and that's pretty much everyone really. just like me i'm smart on somethings but on others i'm not so good at. we've all done things without thinking. but castle seems to do them more so than prolly you and me combined! even Nathan Filliion. says that his character is a moron and very immature. and he's right if you think about it. yes he's matured a LOT since the show started but he's still a little kid at heart on many things.

and by the time the show ends there's no doubt he'll be even more mature but on the other hand he'll still be immature on some things as well.

and that's kind what also makes part of the show as well. him acting like a little kid sometimes. we all act like a little kid every once in awhile to stay sane in our everyday life. and sometimes it can be at the wrong time. and his faults are even more out there than ours it seems like. and they write it so well that they use it for comedy and for him to learn through some of them and mature as well. that's not an easy thing to do i'm sure. what do you think? he he sorry about my rant he he

matthewgiven3

[6]Jan 7, 2013

You are right. You know if I were Castle I would just tell Meredith that she has never been there for Alexis in the past so she doesn't get to use that as an excuse now either you get out of my house in the next 30 seconds or I call the cops. You got my money and you cheated on me,that's all you get now get the hell out of my home! That is what Castle should say if you ask me. Beckett should just tell him that if he doesn't have the backbone to get rid of his exwife then he can date his ex wife instead.

matthewgiven3

[8]Jan 7, 2013

I am so mad at Castle right now. He needs to decide who he is dating deep fried twinkie or Beckett. He is treating Beckett like dirt and doesn't care about her feelings. I really wouldn't blame Beckett if she dumped him. I am starting to think she should have kept dating Josh. Castle clearly doesn't care about her and was only ever out for sex. If he cared about Beckett at all Meredith would be gone by now. Come on dump the selfish moron Beckett!

wildhoney66

[9]Jan 7, 2013

castle is this stupid when it comes to certain stuff. mainly women. though i do LOVE what the writers are doing with having kate and the deep fried twinkie having dinner. i am now curious what that meal will be like. castle should i agree think of how beckett feels about you are 100% correct on that. he should listen to her and the guys and kick her ass out.

matthewgiven3

[10]Jan 7, 2013

Yeah! Way to go Beckett,that will teach him!

Given all the sci-fi in jokes in Castle I have to wonder if the guy named Billy Pipper is a reference to Billie Pipper who played Rose in Doctor Who.

matthewgiven3

[11]Jan 7, 2013

Oh great I knew they were going to do this. The only reason you bring a TV couple together is so you can break them up latter and that is what they are laying the groundwork for. I know exactly what is going to happen in the season final,they are going to break Castle and Becektt up just to create angst and drama. I think I may be done with this show. It is going down the same hole bones and so many other shows have gone down and I don't expect it is going to be fun to watch after this episode. I think the smart move is to just treat Secret Santa as if it is the last episode since it seems the show is now just going to become Castle and Beckett going through angst and then breaking up. What a sad way to end a show that used to be so much fun to watch

wildhoney66

[12]Jan 7, 2013

will you calm the hell down? because andrew marlowe said months ago that he wasn't going to be doing that. it isn't realistic. he said there will be ups and downs in their relationship because that's how relationships work. it could be just they are having Kate try and get castle to open up more. you are going by the end of one episode. this also could be a door that's opening for when his dad does appear on the show which i think i had heard it may be during feb. but weather that's going to happen i have no idea.

honestly i can't remember if castle has opened up before and i don't mean declare his love. i mean really opening up about certain things. i can't remember what his reaction was when she asked him about his dad. honestly he was vague about how he feels about it when Alexis asked him about it a couple years back. though he did i think open up to her a little bit. but not enough. as for bones i still love the show.

that show has also had it's ups and downs and other than the last episode that aired which was the weakest one this season. not counting that one i'm loving this season so far of that show. anyways i get tired of people saying i'm going to stop watching if this happens when the end of a episode ends the way they don't want it to. this show is different than most because it's more realistic than most, if you recall of what i assumed what would happen during tonights episode i ended up wrong. and therefore i'm glad i was. my point is this show is done differently than most and when i think something will go one way it goes most of the time another way. the characters of kate and Castle are like this, she has opened up to him more than he has there's no denying about that. but it's hard for her to do it just like it's hard for him to do it.

some guys are like that. and some women are as well. that's realistic. you also forget that i believe Meredith cheated on Rick when they were married. we only heard her version of it NOT his. i dunno if they cut it but they should have had a scene of kate asking Rick why the marriage failed. he may have opened up. something tells me kate is different than his ex wives and he i have a feeling opened up to her more so than others he's dated. and it was a nice touch where they had kate realize that merideth is a woman that's hard to say no to.

matthewgiven3

[13]Jan 7, 2013

Yes i am going by the end of the episode. The only reason they would have played the sad music is if they are laying the groundwork for the break up episode. As for AWM,producers lie in interviews all the time. I have never seen a show where a couple that got together has not been broken up and given what we saw tonight I will lay money that the season final will be Beckett breaking up with Castle so that next season they can reset the characters and have more angst so the show will go back to being like it was in season four. AWM loves angst(how else can you explain season 4?)I am certain this show is about to become 100% angst driven and it is just going to be Castle and Beckett breaking up and getting back together over and over again until ABC finally pulls the plug. When are we going to get some good writers on American tv who have faith in their own characters and the viewers at home? They just killed Castle and that makes me so sad because the show was going along so well

BarryWeen3

[14]Jan 7, 2013
    • level: 14

Wow, pessimistic much?

No point in arguing with you then since your mind is made up.

Considering you don't believe the creator himself when he's said in previous interviews that he's not going to go the cliched break them up and get them back together route. He has said that like any relationship, it will be tested and have its ups and downs because even though Beckett and Castle are together now, they still have their issues/doubts/insecurities they brought into the relationship that need to be dealt with as well as the fact that they are going to clash now and then because their personalities are different, but it is their differing personalities that draw them together at the same time.

Besides which, who wants to watch a relationship that is double rainbows and unicorns all the time, that'd be boring.

wildhoney,

people were speculating
    ***SPOILER***

wildhoney66

[15]Jan 7, 2013

i did forget that about the senator. but either way andrew marlowe also did say at some point that i forget either his dad will show up. or it will be touched upon again. either way thanxs barry for saying what i pretty much said. and i think barry will agree with me that Andrew Marlowe has been more honest with the fans than most people who run tv shows.

hart hanson for example, yes he has lied to the fans in the past, but he's also been honest with them as well. i forget what season it was season 5 maybe? before that aired he said before the season even started that booth and bones were not going to get together that season and you know what they didn't. so even he has moments of being honest. but andrew marlowe is more honest with fans than he has been.

my point is i get tired of people saying this about this or that show and than the funny thing is depending on the show they end up wrong.

as for last season. the reason that season had so much drama was they had Kate get shot at the end of season 3. and so she had to deal with that the whole season and get through it. it to me made sense for them to have her go through that before they put her and castle together rather than have her deal with it when they are together. i'd rather them having done that than what most shows would do which is have her deal iwith it while she was with castle. when it comes to this show sometimes yes you can see who is the killer right off, there's no denying that

but storyline wise when it comes to most things on the show, most of the time i think one thing and it turns out to be another thing. like i said read that thread where i guess what was going to happen on tonights episode! what happend is i may have been right on a few things, i forget what all i posted but i mostly was wrong. and i'm fine with that. i thought that Merideth was going to come on to Castle and try and sleep with him. and than Kate was going to at some point walk in on them or something. or one of the guys would have. either way i was wrong.

and i'm fine with that. cause that's what other shows would have done. yes i know they did that a few months ago but still i didn't expect her and Meredith to get along so well. nor did i expect her telling that she didn't think she knew him at all like the promos made it out to be was her kidding around either. so again not only was i wrong but so was the promo. oh i know the promos aren't always right, but i'm going by what i thought. and i ended up being wrong. and i'm fine with that. my point is that you may be wrong on how the show will turn out, what do you think barry?

matthewgiven3

[16]Jan 7, 2013

I don't know maybe sleeping on it(it's 1:30 am where I am)and watching the episode again will cause me to like it and regain my trust in AWM. Right now the way Castle acted and the ending has me feeling upset and I don't like it when Castle upsets me. There are enough shows with upsetting angst driven plot lines if you ask me,I watch castle to have fun and I guess after a month of waiting I just wasn't expecting such an angsty episode. I will give it another try in the morning and see if I like it better.

BarryWeen3

[17]Jan 7, 2013
    • level: 14

wildhoney,

as for how things turn out versus expectations based on promos/sneak peeks. Due to the way the promos have been cut this season, especially, I've stopped watching them cause they are way too edited in a manner to mislead you and be out of context.

I've enjoyed Castle overall, are there some individual episodes that I don't like, yes, but I still like the overall direction that has been taken by AWM and the writers. I like that they are trying to portray this relationship as realistically as possible. Couples have problems, they deal with them, they fight, they make-up, etc. I'll reiterate, this makes things more interesting than everything being double rainbows and unicorns (you know I think I stole that phrase from Top Chef ).

As for that ending, my opinion is that it looks like Kate has come to a realization that she still does not fully know, to borrow a phrase, the entire Castle onion. Like Kate once told Castle, so many layers to the Beckett onion how will you ever peel them all, the converse is also true that there are more layers to the Castle onion that the ones that Kate knows about and assumes about.

I think the fact that it looks like Castle knows Beckett more than she does him is consistent with their two characters. Castle is inquisitive, we know this, hence him learning so much about the Beckett onion is a natural progression. Beckett, on the other hand, is a private person and as such she doesn't reveal her layers very easily and also because she is such a private person, she naturally wouldn't be as probing about Castle as Castle is about her and I also think she doesn't ask because she still has some doubts/fears about digging too much into the Castle onion.

It's like I said earlier, they both came into this relationship with baggage. There has always been the emphasis on Kate's walls due to her past concerning her mother's murder, I've always felt that Castle himself also had walls surrounding his past. There is no way a man who grew up with no father, always on the move in his youth, became a celebrity overnight, became a young father, had two failed marriages, etc. is not going to have baggage and walls as well. It's just not as emphasized as much as Beckett's walls but they've always been there.

I don't think that Kate's realization is a bad thing and I think it will drive her to find out more about Castle and it will bring them closer together. Castle opening up to her about his past and such should show her that she is different from the other women in his past. If Meredith feels like she never really got to know the real Castle, the fact that Castle can open himself up to Kate should prove that in his eyes, she is dfferent from the other women in his past.

Anywho, enough rambling and ranting...

I'm still wondering which show the blind item is referring to, I don't believe it's Castle, my opinion is either Bones or Grey's Anatomy.

One last thing, it's kinda of funny that on CastleTV.net that for the most part the fans are pretty optimistic about the state of things, whereas most everywhere else I look, it's very doom and gloom.

matthewgiven3

[18]Jan 8, 2013

The only reason I can't see that happening is that this is Beckett we are talking about. Doing everything you are talking about just isn't something she has it in her to do. At least we haven't seen her do it yet. That is why I am pretty sure the season final will be a break up. Beckett always runs when things get to personal or require work,so the moment that happens she is going to bolt and leave Castle heart broken. She can't work on personal problems,it's just not something she can do.

You know in a way I think Castle would have been happier if he had put the work into making things work with what's-her-name in season three instead of throwing it away to go after Beckett. Unlike Beckett she seemed to have a strong enough character that she was willing to talk to Castle about what was bothering her and he seemed to be able to talk to her with out her running out on him. She also seemed to be willing to meet him half way on things. I think she was a much better match for him then Beckett and Castle was stupid to stick around for someone who is never going to put any work into the relationship. Beckett is a person who isn't able to care about anyone besides her self so she is never going to do anything that is hard just to make someone else happy. Sorry but I just think it's too big of a jump for what you are talking about to happen.

matthewgiven3

[19]Jan 8, 2013

I figured out why hate this episode's ending so much. Beckett will talk to Castle's Ex wife and take her word for what happened but she refuses to say a word to Castle about what is bothering her. Sorry but that is called being extremely selfish and now we all know she is just going to run away and leave Castle feeling depressed and she will not even tell him what he did wrong. Castle needs to dump her. She may work as a partner but in a relationship she just is not any good for him and he can do so much better.

wildhoney66

[20]Jan 8, 2013

i'm sorry but you are an idiot. barry i got what you meant totally. i do agree he has walls just like becket does. and by the way though Kate is a private person i do agree on that. i DO think she's worked on opening up more than she used to. not just to castle but to Lanie as well. if you watch season 1 again with Lanie she doesn't say much about her personal life at all. than fast forward to last season after she goes into therapy and we than start to see scenes where she's opening up to castle.

and from what we have seen she never discussed her problems with any of the men in her life with Lanie. or anyone that we saw. so yes i think her walls have come down quite a bit. i do agree that castle has quite a bit of walls around him. part of it is cause he grew up without a father.

i wonder though if he opened up to his 1st love Kira i think he did. and Meredith is an idiot. castle said it himself she was iresponsible and sorry about my spelling. castle has opened up to kate some. when he told her how he had to raise alexis as a single parent. and i also agree that that ending made kate realize she should ask castle more about his past. i think some things should be asked. and i agree it would show kate that she is different than the women from his past. by the way though she heard meredith's version who's to say she isn't wondering what castle's version is? also they are still a new couple and still learning about each other, who's to say that castle won't ever open up to her?

though i do agree that castle was being an idiot in letting her stay at his apartment. but at least he didn't sleep with her. by the way i got the feeling from the way merideth spoke that castle worked harder on his marriage than she did. she left out details as well, was it her or gina that cheated on him i forget. it's only the start of Jan. i'm not worried about a break up in the finale. that's to far along the way anyways. last season

was different cause you knew that their secrets would at some point come out and in the finale. and they did. one thing i would like to see is

castle going to therapy. it doesn't have to be this season it could next season. so he can open up to someone and work out his issues as well.

as for the end of last nights' episode i think that's realistic cause if you are talking to an ex you do think how well do i know this person and what do you do you try and get them to open up some how. you don't break up with them. you work on it. and you know what sometimes people do open up about their past. in short i'm not worried that it's the end of their relationship. either way it would be nice if he did open up t her more than he has in the past.