Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: Significant Others 5x10 (Jan 7)

Canada_Michael

[21]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 10

I didn't find the ending last night to becontroversial or give any indication of animminent breakup. The information thatMeredith gave Beckett was allone sided & made Castle thefall guy for theirmarriage falling apart. Boiled down what I heard was I was an open book letting Rick know everything about me, while he was emotionally distant so I moved on. The only example she could provide was that she could never find out about his father. Hardly what I would call emotionally distant or unavailable, since he may not know who his father is or may know but he has never been part of his life. He's uncomfortable talking about hisabsentee father is hardly the entire reason for amarriagebreakup, but is something I could see an ex using to deflect any blame from her.

Beckett's reaction is the realization that Castle has unresolved issues from his past, & I think it could bring them closer together. Just like Castle wanting to help Beckett solve her mom's murder, she will want to help Castle either find closer about his father or help start a dialogue between the two. Sure in the end they could breakup but that's also realistic.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

matthewgiven3

[22]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 4

See here is my problem in a nutshell. Beckett will not put even the most basic level of work into the relationship. If you want to know how someone feels about something that they very well may have bade peace with a long time ago(Castle is 42 after all so who says he didn't deal with the whole no father issue a long time ago?)then you need to ask THEM about it not their Ex wife who is a flake to say the least. Beckett was too scared to ask Castle anything at the end of last night's episode and instead she is making choices that will effect both her and Castle based on what his ex wife has to say about an issue that he has no way of knowing is an issue if she doesn't talk to him. The fact is as Castle says Beckett has never talked about anything and just reacts and leaves Castle to pick up the shattered pieces of his life. If you ask me Beckett was better matched with Josh who she didn't need to talk to in order to make things work and Castle was better off with Gina who was willing to talk about the things that bothered her and that is the way the writers should have left it. I think that got the balance right in season three and then lost it in season four. Beckett doesn't care enough about Castle to talk to him about what is bothering her so if you ask me the next time she runs away with out telling him what is wrong he should cut her completely out of him life. I think Castle would be much better off if he had slammed the door in her face at the end of always. The writers should have just written Beckett out of the series by having her lose her job and teamed up Castle with Ryan and a couple of new detectives this season and avoided all this pointless angst that is going nowhere.

Canada_Michael

[23]Jan 8, 2013

The show at its core always was about Castle/Beckett & not about the cases, the cases are just a vehicle for then to interact. I felt the same about Bones after they got rid of Hannah so I stopped watching, because I knew Booth & Bones were the endgame . That was fine but I found Bones was acting more and more like an ass with her superior attitude, meanwhile they build up Hannah & Booth just to have Booth totally misread her readiness for marriage. So in one episode they are stronger then ever, Booth proposes,Hannah says no, and they break up.

Edited on 01/08/2013 4:52pm

wildhoney66

[24]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 13

where the hell you gettig all this? castle has issues of not having a father. i thankfully can't relate to that but many people and weather you are 42 like castle is or 75 men as well as women have trouble talking about certain things, for becket for a long time it was her mom's murder.

for castle it's i think his father or the lack of one. my grandfather died when i was 12 and i was extremely close to him and i never got over him passing away when i was 12. and it was years and years and years before i was able to talk about it with anyone. or even accept it. and i may be only 34 but my point is it's been done realistic. honestly if i was beckett i would have asked her what her view of the marriage was, and though Gina is a bit more stable than Meredith, i don't think Castle loved either women like he loves kate, and i don't think Kate loved Josh or any of the other guys she had dated throughout her life. it's not for the lack of trying either.

anyways you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over thinking this, one of the things about being in any relationship is you work at it. and like i said when there is baggage you don't break up with the person like you are claiming that kate will do.. you try and get to the root of the problem and figure out a way to get your loved one to open up. and yes kate has ran in the past but that's just it that's in the past and who's to say that she will do it this time. during this season she hasn't run from anything, yes she's had insecurties but so does everyone.

castle also had them as well. and he isn't running anywhere either. so i don't know where you are getting any of this, did you smoke the good stuff while watching it and it was still in your system when you were typing this? cause nobody else here is freaking out like you seem to be.

wildhoney66

[25]Jan 8, 2013

have you watched Bones recently? and if so what do you think of it? season 6 of bones is by far the worst one they have done so far. though there are a few good episodes that's about as nice as i can put it.

BarryWeen3

[26]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 14

wildhoney,

I've watched Bones through the first episode of Season 8. I have not watched the rest of season 8 so far yet as due to various trips I had to take, I now have a huge TiVo backlog of recordings to go through as I watch and record way too many shows.

Like you I have no idea where the doom and gloom that seems to have infected matthew's viewpoint comes from. Apparently we're watching a different show than he is.

Both characters have shown growth and change and that is due to their own personal growth as well as changing because of each other.

Upon viewing the episode again,I'm stronger in my belief that the ending is Beckett realizing that Castle, like her, has his own baggage and walls due to his past and that it's time for her to start peeling off the layers of the Castle onion. Plus hopefully Kate also realizes that she shouldn't put too much stock into what Meredith told her as to why the marriage ended considering her character. Meredith is only going to care for Meredith so of course she's going to give a version that makes her look good.

There was a fanfiction that I read where the author had Alexis set Kate straight about both her mother's character as well as what caused the marriage to end. I think that would be an interesting discussion to see on the show assuming that Kate doesn't talk to Castle directly, though I hope she does.

But yeah, I'm taking the viewpoint that she comes to the realization that she needs to take what the DFT told her with a grain of salt considering her character and the realization that there may be akernel of truth in Meredith's "explanation" that leads to her exploring the Castle onion. I think such a discussion will lead to a stronger relationship and progress them forward.

matthewgiven3

[27]Jan 8, 2013

Well all I can say is I do have a friend that I have known since I was in grade school who was so close he lived with my family for a couple of years and he never knew who his father was and it did bother him when he was a kid but as he got older he dealt with it. So it would not surprise me if a 42 year old man who has a grown daughter of his own wasn't too bothered any more by not knowing who is father is.

The thing that I can not understand is why Beckett didn't ask Castle for his side of the story. How is Castle supposed to know anything is wrong if Beckett doesn't talk to him about it? That is why I don't see how this can last because Beckett still refuses to talk about the things that bother her and she just lets them build to the point where she can't stand them any more and then runs away. I have a hard time believing that anyone would want to deal with that for the rest of their life. I think Gina was a much more stable and caring person then Beckett. She seemed willing to talk about and work on problems and that is something that we haven't seen from Beckett yet. I hope AWM is smart enough to have Castle call her on it at some point but i am not holding my breath.

matthewgiven3

[28]Jan 8, 2013

@Berry,I just that fan fiction too and i thought it was the perfect cap to the episode and I wish there had been some sort of scene like that in the episode. The way it stands I think the writers have either forgotten or are trying to rewrite the history of the show and make the break up with Meredith Castle's fault and are now saying she never cheated on him. Either that or they really think that someone not talking about something is a good enough reason to cheat on them. I really don't like that what Meredith said was just taken at face value as the truth by Beckett and anyone who didn't watch the first season of the show.

wildhoney66

[29]Jan 8, 2013

again it's got NOTHING absolutely NOTHING no proof at all that kate refuses to talk to castle about it. he was the dumbass that let his ex stay there. and she was to pissed as she should be to talk to him about what happend. this episode does not show at all her saying to anyone or even a scene where she's off by herself in her own apartment saying to herself that she refuses to talk about why his marriages ended. she no doubt has wondered why they ended.

but the thing is that isn't her refusing to ask him. as barry said when it comes to certain stuff they are both private people and it doesn't mean he does love her and it doens't mean she doesn't love him. some things are harder to talk about to people. have you ever heard the song called "Code of silence' by Billy Joel" ? it's from his classic (1986) album called "The bridge' and that song is about someone who has problems and their problems are so bad and so personal that they make a promise to themself never to tell another soul. and the song is about dealing with the personal stuff that does bother you but as the song says you will never tell another living soul.

my point is kate and rick are a bit like that each. kate has issues with her mom getting killed and she's i'm sure got other issues as well. she shut her emotions and everything down when her mom was killed and she's opened up a hell of a LOT since she went to therapy. and though no doubt

has got a lot of work left to do she's still working on it. and she's also a private person as well. as for castle, she respects him and loves him and she knows that she's hard to get to open up and it's dawning on her that he's also the same way. he's got daddy issues cause he never had a father. and that's issues he's never dealt with before. she's realizing at that end that with all her problems if you recall she has said that they don't have much in common. well she's realizing they have more in common than she had 1st thought. and Rick didn't need to tell her this.

if you go back like i said in say season 2 or 3 when Alexis asked him about his father he really didn't answer her question but you can tell he tried to be honest with her. and in his own way he was honest with her. and alexis realized this cause she's a smart girl.

kate is realizing as well that if her walls are coming down his does as well. and if she's smart she will have a talk with him and try to get him to open up. and i agree with barry when he said that this will make them even closer. as for her asking his ex wife. she was i think curious on her take of it. and i think he did tell her why it ended but i could be wrong in the last episode she was in. you can correct me if i'm wrong by the way.

as for his ex coming there, it was odd to have alexis talk to her mother. but it was also nice as well cause even alexis knows her mom is more like a friend than she's ever been a mother. and like Merideth said she was curious to see the relationship. and i thought it was nice that alexis confided in her that it's a serious relationship. and there is no doubt that after spending an evening with her at dinner which i wish was filmed and if it was i hope it's on the dvd set. fingers crossed!

anyways, after having dinner with her kate understood why it's so hard to say no to Meredith. she also prolly wondered why castle was even married her no doubt. i do think she should ask him why his marriages ended though. and he should open up to her. but you know what with some people it is hard as hell to get them to open up. if you recall kate doesn't open up to her own father either. he's even said that numerous times to castle. this has not pointed anywhere to any angst like you are obessing over. or a break up, it just means that he needs to open more up about himself and trust her enough to tell her more stuff than he has.

i didn't see last nights episode as angst at all. it had me laughing at how stupid castle was for letting her stay there. the way it was written and barry may agree with me on this was for comedy. if they wanted to go a more serious route they would have had Kate and his ex arguing or something coming back from dinner. i wasn't worried at all about them breaking up at all. personally i think castle like barry said is like an onion

he keeps stuff inside just like kate does. but they both have opened up more as the series has progressed and they've gotten closer. and example is kate telling castle why she works x-mas eve every year. and him opening up about why he loves x-mas is them both opening up.

no that's not as big as him be honest about his father. but it's a start at least. like i said castle is like barry said an onion that has to be peeled back layer by layer. and she realized he's as difficult to open up as she is. but when it comes to his father he's even more tight lipped about it.

cause there's no doubt emotion there that he's never fully dealt with. as for your friend i'm sorry he didn't have a father but there's no doubt he does i'm sure care on some level. but he may have dealt with his emotions about it a long time ago. so he's able to talk about it to you for example. a friend of the family's daughter was kidnapped and killed way back in (1989)

and he's a family friend and i asked his current wife who i'm good friends with if he ever talks about it. and she was honest with me and said he doesn't. but that doesn't mean he hasn't ever talked about it with her. or anyone it just means it's just to painful and i've lever lost a child the way he has. so i'm only guessing but still when it comes to certain stuff it's hard to talk about with anyone. and both castle and kate are like that. kate just got help first in being able to talk about it. castle hasn't cause he's got a long way to go. what i'd like to happen is if they do

have his dad show up cause than he'll have to deal with his issues. even if it's just him telling his father off it's him dealing with his feelings about it. ya know? anyways that's my rant for now.

wildhoney66

[30]Jan 8, 2013

by the way barry, when you catch up on bones. be warned that the last episode of it that aired last month was the worst one so far this season. just a heads up.

JonathonWolf

[31]Jan 9, 2013

I figured the ending was Beckett thinking that she really doesn't know Rick like she thinks she does, or that she's never really tried to learn about his past. That may not necessarily be true since she's so good at pushing his buttons, and she generally learns about him through him trying to find out her past. Maybe she's realizing that, as much as she's opened up to him, she has never really told him about all the things from her past that she's teased him about. This could be something that gets worked out over the next few episodes and makes them a stronger couple. Like that old 80s song "Pina Colada;" they'll put more effort into the emotional side of their relationship and find new reasons to love each other.

I'm more surprised how cavalier they all are about Beckett and Castle's relationship when inside the precinct just because Penny Johnson Jerald isn't appearing. The closest to Beckett freaking about it was when she saw it was the precinct calling on her phone.

matthewgiven3

[32]Jan 9, 2013

After rewatching the episode I don't know what I was thinking before. It was not as depressing or negative as I first thought. Sorry. I can only assume that being up the past three nights trying to fix a virus on my computer that wouldn't go away clouded my view and judgement. Sorry about that. Yes I think this opens up some interesting places for the story to go but I do hope Beckett talks to Castle and doesn't take Meredith's word for what happened. Any way this episode was much better on the second viewing. Sorry about my over reaction.

JonathonWolf

[33]Jan 9, 2013
    I was thinking earlier that if it goes to form, I can see the sequence of events being Beckett trying to subtly ask Castle things about his past, him giving joking answers, her getting frustrated, Castle realizes something's up and asks why this stuff is so important to her, she confesses about asking Meredith and not wanting it to end the same, he gives an understanding "okay" and tells her everything she wants to know openly and honestly. If they play it a bit smart, they'll stretch Beckett trying to get info from Castle out for an episode and then go through the whole chain of events in the episode after that.

wildhoney66

[34]Jan 9, 2013

FINALLY you are talking sense man. i dunno where ya head is at man. but it wasn't in the right place. someone posted a good explain on the IMDB board but i forget what it was. and i had the page opened but i had to reboot my puter and the page is lost. and i'm to lazy to look for it.

my point is i was going to post that here to get matthew back to normal but by the looks of it he did it himself THANKFULLY! has anyone read the review of it on his site? the guy who reviewed it said that it was errie and sorry about my bad spelling. how the actress that played Merideth looked so much like Alexis. i hate to admit it but he's right she does look like she could actually be Molly Quiin's real life mom.

and this is without me knowing what she actually looks like. anyways, i also am curious why his marriages failed. yes we know Alexis's mom cheated on him. and that she left that out of her reason for why it ended. funny enough it didn't make her the bad guy. i want to know why they failed the full story just like he should tell Kate and have it be on screen not off screen. i do also find it odd that they can talk more openly

about them spending nites at each others place or in any way shape of form them dating in episodes gates isn't in. yet they are more careful when she is there. honestly that's not being realistic cause if it was real life gates would always be there unless she was on vacation or took personal time either way most of the time a captain even if it wasn't her would most likely be there. you can by all means correct me if i'm wrong of course.

matthewgiven3

[35]Jan 9, 2013

Well all I can say is that being up three nights in a row trying to get rid of a virus that was crashing open office just as I had gotten to some really good parts in two stories I am writing put me in a very foul mood and I was not feeling like myself monday or most of tuesday for that matter. I am much less stressed now that most of the problems are fixed and I am getting some sleep.

wildhoney66

[36]Jan 9, 2013

well to be fair i wasn't trying to be mean but you had some wild ideas. now if you would have said all that last season when becket and castle weren't talking to each other at all. i would have listnened and said yes he's going for angst cause at the time he was. i also would have said and

just wait and see what happens before i think to far ahead. also everyone else here was freaking out kind of as well. we all knew that andrew marlowe had said what's going to happen in "always' cause he had said they were going to make up or something to that extent. but we were still freanking out cause we were just impatient on when that was going to happen. that's all.

right now since nobody else was freaking out here. it made sense that nobody was freaked out or worried about that ending like you were.

but i am glad you got your puter fixed and ya got ya self some sleep man. and that most important you rewatched the show and calmed down as well. he he

wildhoney66

[39]Jan 9, 2013

sorry for the posting the same thing 3 times my computer wasn't working for this page for some reason. i dunno if it was the site or my computer. i just wanted to let ya know that's all

BarryWeen3

[40]Jan 9, 2013
    • level: 14

Maybe it was an internet echo, echo, echo...