Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: Swan Song 5x07 (Nov 12)

TesserT

[1]Nov 12, 2012
    • level: 76
    Please use this thread to discuss episode Swan Song. Enjoy!

From ABC.go: A documentary crew follows Castle, Beckett and the team as they investigate the murder of a rock band's lead guitarist.

Check out the promo over at ABC.com Rock n Roll Mystery! Les Paul if I'm not mistaken and I'm rarely mistaken. Hey what are you guys doing here?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

djboy77

[2]Nov 13, 2012
    • level: 7

The camera angles and editing quickly eliminated the illusion of a documentary. There were, what, at least 2 cameras inside the trailer with Castle and Beckett? Two following Espo, another two following Ryan? Three outside after they found the girl - one each on Beckett, Castle and the girl? Maybe four in the room when they were interviewing the band? Not including sound guy(s) who would have been required for all the audio to be so consistent. A great idea, just not executed properly. They should have actually done each scene as a single shot with a single camera. Or at the very least, the supposed "other" cameras should have been visible occasionally. As it is, the "camera crew" had an omniscient view. Production-wise, the only difference between this episode and any other is the camera spiking and the jerky shots. Sorry, but that aspect - the main gimmick of the episode - was weak. I mean, I get what they were trying to do, but it just doesn't make sense.

The story was good, solid typical Castle fare. It's kind of their trademark trope that the investigative path tends to quickly swing out very wide, into the realm of cults, drug cartels, mobs and other odd things that consumes most of the investigation before it just as quickly comes back around at the end, back to someone close to the victim, usually in their immediate circle. Although, considering the cops said they'd be checking the band's alibis and it turned out it was one of them, it seems like they dropped the ball on that one.

Ending was funny, although it seems like it would be a bad idea to lock the people who are going to protect your juicy secret in a cupboard.

Edited on 11/13/2012 8:50am
    Edited 4 total times.

wildhoney66

[3]Nov 18, 2012
    • level: 13

this is a bit off topic but i bought season 4 on thursday and i dunno if anyone knows this or not but it comes with a different case cover. well sleeve or whatever it's called? it looks like a document really. and take out the season 4 set and it's the normal cover,

it's got an extra disc actually. and this is only at Target. no i don't work for the company in any way shape or form. but my point is it caught me by surprise honestly.

BarryWeen3

[4]Nov 18, 2012
    • level: 14

Wildhoney,

Yeah, that's the Target Exclusive Season 4 DVD set with the extra disc containing the Paley Discussion Panel (33 minutes of footage I believe).

You're lucky to have gotten one.

From discussion with other posters on CastleTV.net,the sets seemed to beextremely limited, i.e. besides being limited to Target, not all Target stores carried them.

wildhoney66

[5]Nov 19, 2012

really?? that i did NOT know that. they only had one copy actually. and you know those cases they put them in? well if i would have gotten the normal one the case on the side was tore cause whoever put the case on wasn't paying attention to what they were doing. anyways

for those who want to know it was an interview with the cast. and a funny one at that i'm sure maybe you tube has it on there. funny thing when they were talking about the film noir episode from of course last season. Tamela Jones and sorry if i murdered her name if i did. anyways i haven't seen it since it aired so i forgot she kissed Nathan F. funny thing in the panal she goes to Jon uh sorry i can't spell his name either. sorry but you are a good kisser but Nathan however has lips like leather. in short telling him that nathan is a better kisser. which i just found funny as hell.

she goes she wanted to do more than one take of it. or something like that. he he. than they did ask Nathan and Stana about when the think the two of them well Castle and beckett may i correct should have babies. and Nathan goes season 10 and Stana goes Season 7. which shows that both want it to happen but not right away. which is how it should be. funny thing if you go on the IMDB board now there's people on there obesses with the two of them having kids! anyways as for the season 4 dvd set. i had no idea they even made a set that was just made for Target. i had gotten the other seasons i believe at Best Buys i think.

BarryWeen3

[6]Nov 23, 2012

Yeah, Target tends to get exclusive sets such as the Castle Season 4 set you got and other shows like Top Chef. Eventually I do see them end up elsewhere, but not for a while.

wildhoney66

[7]Nov 24, 2012

i know some stores do that with certain shows, but Top Chef did you say? isn't one i care about cause i don't watch it. i saw nothing no ads or anything or even hell an announcement on the set that i bought. i waited awhile before i bought the season as well cause the price was far to high than i wanted to get it at. since i got seasons 1-3 at a good price and with a gift certificate that i used when we went shopping i think i ended up spending only like $9.00 bucks on it? which is even better than the $18 bucks it was being sold for!

anyways, i wonder if i'm the only one on here who found that particular set?

BarryWeen3

[8]Nov 25, 2012

Possibly.

But if you went onto CastleTV.net, then you wouldn't be that much in the minority as you might be on TV.com.

We had a whole thread devoted to people who got the set, others looking for it, descriptions of the material on the Paley disc, etc.

Have you ever been on CastleTV.net? It's a pretty good site dedicated to Castle.

wildhoney66

[9]Nov 26, 2012

actually no i haven't. there aren't to many offical websites dedicated to shows that i joined. i think the last one i joined was when 'the dead zone' was still on the air. what was cool was you'd have messeges from the characters to one another. this is in the last 2 seasons of the show.

and it was pretty cool actually cause they'd mention something about the episode you watched or something connected to the show. i doubt if the offical cast actually typed those in but either way it was a cool way to keep fans with the show and what's going on after the episode ends as well. anyways i guess i'm the only one so far who found that set. is there a lot people on the castle website that has found it?

BarryWeen3

[10]Nov 27, 2012

If I'm remembering correctly, it wasn't like a lot...

But I got the indication that yes it was a very limited item (like I said earlier, the set was limited to Target but not every Target store hadthe set)but a relatively number of posters mentioned they were able to find it. Maybe at least like 10 or so at the minimum? I don't remember exactly.

As a Castle fan I do recommend that youalso take a look aroundCastleTV.net. There are forums, news articles (official and fan written ones), episode guides, cast guides, interviews, etc. all specific to the show itself.

It's alsoa very lively forum board. You know how here for the latest episode to air (After Hours), there's like 7 or so posts in total. Over at Castle TV.net, there's an entire forum just for the episode with pre- and post-episode discussion threads. If I'm remembering correctly, within a 24 hour period after "After Hours" aired in most markets, that thread had like around 200 posts in that period. Of course, the drop-off in the forum traffic here is also due to the addition of those new episode streams they implemented on TV.com.

wildhoney66

[11]Nov 27, 2012

oh there's no doubt you are right, i belong to the offical "Dallas' forum and i have been a member there since (2005) and they have litery pages and pages on certain threads. i do love the idea that i for once lucked out on something, normally every else find it before i do. or i miss out.

it's a bit late right now for me to check it out. but thanxs for letting me know about it