Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: Target 5x15 (Feb 18 )

TesserT

[1]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 76
    Please use this thread to discuss episode Target. Part 1 of 2. Enjoy!

From ABC.go : Castle and Beckett team up with the FBI when a murder investigation reveals a plot to kidnap a wealthy businessman's daughter -- and Alexis!

Check out the promo over at ABC.com: What's Columbia doing admitting gun toting lunatics and are there any more of them? They took Alexis too!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

matthewgiven3

[2]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 4

Castle is an idiot. when you have as much money as he does there is no way you should ever let your daughter go anywhere let alone leave the country with out security! Unless you want her to get kidnapped and killed. Castle is the dumbest person and the worst parent on the face of the earth. If you don't want to send security with your daughter then give away all your money and stop working with the police so no one will have a reason to go after her,or send some security with her.

wildhoney66

[3]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 13

HUH? no he's not an idiot you have to trust your kids unless they give you reason NOT to. with a kid like Alexis if she wanted to leave the country

yes he can afford to hire someone to watch over her. but not all parents do this. Alexis is a smart girl i see no reason why he'd have someone

watch over her. she's figure it out pretty fast that she was being followed and give him holy hell for it. and rightly so. so i don't think he's being an idiot or a terrible parent

matthewgiven3

[4]Feb 18, 2013

I don't think I can go on watching the show is just getting to intense and too nasty with out any lightness or fun to it at all. There isn't a single second on this show any more where anything nice happens. It 100% nasty things happening to people now with out any humor and on top of that we are lucky if ABC plays two episodes a month. There is not one second of the show that isn't just bad things happening on screen. Where is the sense of fun and the rewards for watching that got me hooked on the show to start with? I am not seeing them any where. This show has just become an unfunny painful thing that happens every week.

matthewgiven3

[5]Feb 18, 2013

wildhoney66 wrote:

HUH? no he's not an idiot you have to trust your kids unless they give you reason NOT to. with a kid like Alexis if she wanted to leave the country

yes he can afford to hire someone to watch over her. but not all parents do this. Alexis is a smart girl i see no reason why he'd have someone

watch over her. she's figure it out pretty fast that she was being followed and give him holy hell for it. and rightly so. so i don't think he's being an idiot or a terrible parent

He is insanely rich,in the real world that makes his daughter a target. Now if he think the security is going to far then he should give away ever cent of his money so she isn't a target. Keeping the money but refusing to hire security is both selfish and stupid. Castle has only himself to blame for this.

He needs to stop working with the police,break up with Beckett so Bracken has no reason to come after him,and get rid of all his money. Until he does that Alexis is a target for the rest of his life and he is being selfish if he doesn't do that.

wildhoney66

[6]Feb 18, 2013

oh brother here we go again. each feb they always do the 2 parter it's annual. one was a bomb threat i forget the others the top of my head. but this is the drama 2 parter we always get. and if you dumbass stops watching you will miss Castle's dad showing up next week.

played by james brolin. this show can't always be fun it's got to have some kind of drama it's a tv show for god's sake. most of the episodes do have lots of comedy but it's great when they get serious every now and than cause it let's the actors use their acting muscles they don't normally get to use. and i love it. it's got to have drama, the show boston legal had plenty of comedy in it but they also had serious episodes as well.

that's how tv shows like this need to do is have drama!

matthewgiven3

[7]Feb 18, 2013

The only reason there is any drama is because Castle is an idiot and cares more about what will happen if his daughter gets mad at him then he cares about what will happen to her when murderers get a hold of her. The bottom line is this is 100% Castle's fault because he is so selfish he tries to have his cake and eat it too. You can either be rich or you can walk around with out security,you can't do both.

wildhoney66

[8]Feb 18, 2013

where the hell do you get that logic? as i said a friend of my family's daugher was kidnapped way back IN (1989) are you going to tell me it's their fault that their little girl was kidnapped & killed? what the hell is wrong with you?

it was not her parents fault. the guy who kidnapped Amy which is her name by the way she got kidnapped well read this you jackass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Mihaljevic and you tell me it was her parents fault

wildhoney66

[9]Feb 18, 2013

that's the girl i knew as a kid. they are still good friends of the family actually. i've known them for it has to be nearly 30 years now.

wildhoney66

[10]Feb 18, 2013

by the way her folks had money they weren't rich like say Castle is but they had money. and nobody ever asked for Ransom or else they would have paid them in a heartbeat.

matthewgiven3

[11]Feb 18, 2013

Well another thing we need to do is stop showing mercy to people who kidnap and kill people. They should be hunted down like the monster they are and then they should be killed slowly and painfully and any family members who knew about it but didn't report them should get the same treatment. The trouble is that right now murders who prey on people are allowed to live the rest of their lives in a nice cozy cell with AC and cable TV and the tax payers pay for it. There is no downside to committing murder or kidnapping right now because in this country we make sure our murders live better then a lot of people who have never committed a crime in their lives. Whatever happened to punishing people who prey on citizens?!! I don't know this whole thing just makes me so mad. There has to be a better way to protect people and keep this sort of thing from happening. I am sorry about your friend and that story just makes me so angry and sad at the same time. There has to be something that can be done to stop these monsters.

P.S

Did anyone else kind of wish there had been a scene between Castle and Gates in this episode,with maybe Gates showing some support? I know they only had 42 minutes and it was a very good episode but I think if I had wrote it I would have had a scene between Castle and Gates since she is the only other person there who has kids and so she is the only one who can really have any idea what he is going through,anyone else feel this way?

wildhoney66

[12]Feb 18, 2013

thank you. actually they kind of did have a scene with gates and castle. she may not have shown support like normal people do. but i had a feeling she did honestly feel for the guy. and i also am more convinced that she knows him and Kate are dating more than ever cause when they let go the camera shifted to where she was standing and she kept quiet about it.

which means she really doesn't care cause if she did it would mean to much of a hassle. as for people who kill people yes it would be easy to kill them off. there are plently of people out there that no doubt do need to be put to death that have convicted those kind of crimes. but

i think it depends on the situation really. sometimes putting the person to death feels like an easy way out to get rid of him. rather than have them be in jail for the rest of their life. i dunno it's a hard way to think of which is worse. i loved tonight's episode it was one of their best. and having castle prolly beat the hell out of that guy was awesome i wish they had shown what he did. i cheered him on actually. but i love his response to kate cause that surprised not only her but me as well on how he did that. plus that ending WOW i didn't see that coming.

i loved it. oh i doubt they will kill Alexis it'd be stupid if they did cause it'd take the humor out of the show quite a bit i think.

as for protecting kids. i may not have kids but you can only do so much to protect them no matter how good of a parent you are.

once they turn 18 and move out you can't do that much. things happen that are beyond your control a LOT of the time.

JonathonWolf

[13]Feb 19, 2013
    • level: 10

As far as we know, kidnapping attempts on Alexis have never been a problem for Castle; so there is no reason for him to expect that to happen when she went to college. In fact, the knowledge that he has a connection with the NYPD may actually deter attempts since the kidnappers wouldn't be certain the police wouldn't react as an attack on one of their own.

In this episode, the only reason Alexis was kidnapped was because she was with the other girl. She is purely and simply collateral damage. We don't even actually know why the first girl was taken. This episode even shows why Castle can trust Alexis; she kept a cool head and used all those zany adventures with her dad to successfully make contact. She is the only reason they found out the girls had been taken to France by the kidnappers.

As was stated before, this is the annual mid-season two-parter. They are always dark to create the sense of drama leading to the cliffhanger. Not every episode has to be lighthearted, and the strength of the show is that it can go back and forth without feeling forced or out of place. Really, it shouldn't be unexpected since the Valentine's episode mostly focused on the sitcom situation of Castle accidentally slipping Beckett's gift into Gate's jacket. It's a staple of drama: before a really dramatic act, you have a comedic scene to cleanse the audience's emotional palette so they can fully experience the emotional trauma upcoming.

wildhoney66

[14]Feb 19, 2013

exactly. also i recall saying how her Vlog was forshadowing and i ended up being right actually. since that is prolly how they found out how that other girl was going to be at that conference or whatever it was.

matthewgiven3

[15]Feb 20, 2013

This kid napping was about Alexis. I can tell you right now that her friend was just a red haring. There is no way the kid nappers would have taken Alexis with them if she wasn't the target. All that does is make their job more risky,if Alexis wasn't the target they would have just shot her and dumped her body. Also there is no way if Alexis is not the target because of something her grandfather did that he would be added to a script that had nothing else to do with him. That just makes the script too packed and unfocused. If the kid napping is about Alexis' friend then she should have either been introduced in an early episode or the episode should have spent a lot more time with her so viewers would be invested in her fate. I am telling you Alexis was the target and it is because of something her grandfather was into.

Also it doesn't matter if Kidnapping has ever been a problem in the past the fact is there is always a first time and when you have as much money as Castle letting people know where you are going to be ahead of time and going there with out security is just asking for trouble. Sorry it may not be fair but in the real world being rich and famous makes you more of a target and you should take some basic safety precautions. It's like looking both ways before you cross the street. It's just common sense.

wildhoney66

[16]Feb 20, 2013

well i'm not rich i wish i was. but i doubt all rich people have security around their kids if they are adults. when it comes say the president that makes sense. but castle is just a writer, yes he's a well known writer but it's not like he's as big as James Patterson or Stephen King he isn't. hell even Stephen King who is the i believe richest author in the world never had anyone follow his kids around as far as i know.

nothing happend to them when they were kids. as for who is to blame on why Alexis is taken. i dunno i'm guessing it does have to do with Castle's dad. if he actually is a spy as was said last season. than it is possible. i just hope that he isn't the one that kidnapped her that's all i'm saying.

castle i'm sure has made enemies i'm sure but not like his dad if he's a spy. also i was kinda wondering why castle didn't ask for him with his friends in the underworld? i guess he's at that point where he doesn't have to show off who he knows and i'm fine with that to be honest.

but since it's his daughter that took me by surprise.

matthewgiven3

[17]Feb 21, 2013

Yeah I am pretty sure Alexis was taken because of something Castle's dad was into but I don't think he took her. I think he is the reason she was taken and that will create tension between Castle and his dad but they will have to work together to get Alexis back. If she wasn't taken because of something Castle's dad was into I really don't think they would be adding something that big to the second part of a two parter since that would just create way to many unrelated plots to follow in the second half of the story and it would feel kind of cluttered.

I guess for me what it comes down to with Castle is 3XK and Bracken. Both of these guys have targeted Castle in the past so I have always felt that if I were in Castle's shoes I would not be taking any chances with my family's safety. Ever since 3XK came back earlier this season and showed that he can even get into Castle's home and bank account I have felt like it's tempting fate to let Alexis and Martha go out in public with out some protection. I mean I am pretty sure Bracken would love to trade one of them for the proof Beckett is holding over his head and I am pretty sure killing both of them and knowing how much it would hurt Castle would make 3XK the happiest person on earth. I don't know maybe it is just me but I just feel that if I were in Castle's shoes I would not be taking any chances with those two out to get me.

wildhoney66

[18]Feb 22, 2013

well they haven't had 3K that often on the show to be fair. so i dunno about him. it showed he was "Knock on wood' shot dead by castle but i doubt he is dead since no body was ever found. as for Braken i dunno at the moment i have a feeling that ever since kate threatend him with hurting anyone she cares about he's for the moment going to stay off that course. for the moment it doesn't seem like he's going to be doing that any time soon. but that doesn't mean he never will of course.

i do wonder one thing though will we get a Authors episode this season with say James Patterson and the rest of the guys. last season we didn't which was dissapointing cause i just love those episodes.

JonathonWolf

[19]Feb 24, 2013
    • level: 10
    The same argument can be made for both girls. Each has a rich/influential father that is willing and capable of paying a ransom. Neither has received a ransom after 24 hours, and both girls were kept alive and transported to Paris. One is the victim of simply being near the other. The biggest reason to believe it was Lina is because of the usually procedural format of the show, and she is the focus of the case. The biggest reason to believe it is Alexis is because she is Castle's daughter, and Molly Quinn hasn't been getting a lot of screen time lately. Technically, she didn't get a lot of screen time this episode either. There has to be a reason for keeping the other girl alive. It could be to use as leverage against the other for compliance or to keep the main target calmer. Since there have been no ransom demands, I'm starting to wonder if it's some kind of slavery deal. They got the one they wanted and figured they could find a buyer for the other later.

If you want to believe Alexis was kidnapped because of Castle's father, that assumes someone was able to dig back over 30 or 40 years of documents to figure out the connection and that the kidnappers believe Castle's father has a strong enough connection for a granddaughter he may have never known about. Of course, we won't know the details of him leaving Martha and Rick until they get revealed. But he has also stayed away this entire time without any hints that he has tried to keep any kind of touch. Obviously, we know that Castle's dad knows who Rick is from the trailer. Thankfully, we don't have to wait much longer for the resolution.

wildhoney66

[20]Feb 24, 2013

now that's a good argument! i've seen teasers from it so since this pertains to part 1 i won't spoil it for ya!