Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: The Double Down 2x02 (Sep 28)

TesserT

[1]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 76
    Let's discuss Monday's episode The Double Down here.

from ABC.com: When two murders take place on the same night, Castle bets that he and Beckett can solve their case before Esposito and Ryan can solve the other one, but strange twists force the teams to work together.
    Edited on 09/25/2009 9:03am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

penelope1985

[2]Sep 24, 2009
    • level: 21
    TesserT wrote:
    Let's discuss Monday's episode The Double Down here.

from ABC.com: When two murders take place on the same night, Castle bets that he and Beckett can solve their case before Esposito and Ryan can solve the other one, but strange twists force the teams to work together.

I cant wait!

tjaman

[3]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 32
    I love the "anything you can do" style episodes. The second season has opened strong. For a more detailed review by way of a trip down memory lane for the cast of "Firefly" (where Nathan Fillion of course played Cap'n Tightpants) check out my podcast. Enjoy!

Dewbak75

[4]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 18

Definitely one of my favorite episodes of the series so far! All of the banter among the squad about the competition was a riot, especially how everyone was getting in on the action. I'm proud to say I got to "Strangers On A Train" ahead of Castle, but only by a little bit, and only because I've seen it done on other crime shows before(CSI and Law & Order have both done it). But they did have me going with the red herring about the guy with the ankle monitor. When the bet escalated to head-shaving and cross-dressing, I figured that something would end up calling the bet off, and I figured there would be something that combined both cases, so I was ready for the ME's discovery. So when they twisted it again I was completely suckered. I shouldn't have been, it was too early in the episode.

I loved the scene with Castle & Beckett when she was talking about the one victim's family needing closure. Both actors played the scene beautfully. Beckett was clearly talking about herself while trying not to, and Castle knew it, and was clearly trying hard not to risk angering her again after what happened in last week's episode. So I'm guessing we'll see other moments like this where she'll struggle between moving on and getting closure, and at some point will finally decide that it's worth the pain to try and finally solve her mother's murder.

The scenes with Castle's family were fun, it's nice to see Alexis acting like a reasonably normal teenage girl. I always love the contrast between Castle's rascal side and being such a devoted father. Martha still hasn't had much to do this season, maybe this audition she got a callback for will lead to a continuing storyline. Maybe we'll get to see Castle & Alexis go to the play's big premiere. Or maybe Alexis will have her own date and Castle can bring Beckett

EOBB

[5]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 6

Great episode. Usually I am more enthralled with the character stuff than with the case stuff, but this case was terrific. I loved the twist. It was very unique.

The character stuff was lacking the subtle humor that I love to watch on Castle. It was way too slapstick....IMO. I did not like Beckett's ho-hum reaction in the opening scene with all the fighting and stripping and such. It seemed very forced. I also did not like all the singing and dancing around and Beckett's jazz hands at the end. There was some weird stuff going on in this episode. I think Castle is hilarious when the comedy is more subtle. That's when I find myself LOL. I enjoyed his fixation on grammar, and Beckett had one of my favorite lines with 'hundred on us'.

I was surprised to hear Beckett bring up her mom's murder again so soon. I loved Castle's reaction. He wanted so badly to say something, but I guess he learned his lesson.

krussell47

[6]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 12
    I wonder if cops really bet on who will solve a case first? That's what I love about the show so far. It creates these stories that seem so real and it just keeps me glued to the television. The season is looking good so far and I love that Castle finally got Beckett to loosen up a bit (didn't think I'd see her making bets on cases).

amaryllis88

[7]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 20

This episode was really good! Loved Laney's comment to Castle, "Stop lookin' at the girls," during the crime scene! I loved all the short & sweet lines of all the characters in this one, it seemed so lighthearted, yet serious too. Whodda thunk, the whole "strangers on a train," deal could come true like that, and the Hudson river playin' as the connector of the two.

Not much else to say, but I like that they haven't given up on finding the killer of Beckett's mom, at least I'm hoping that they find the killer, by the sound of Beckett, she's wanting closure even if she doesn't want to outright admit it.

haldrey

[8]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 22
    Love it, apart from the seriousness of the crimes, it was a fun episode.

TesserT

[9]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 76
    This series has found its rhythm and I loved the momentum in this episode. Nice twists here and there kept it from being too predictable. I too loved Laney's comments to Castle's oogling. Like Castle my mind went straight to the fish tank when the diatoms were discovered but like amaryllis wrote "Whodda thunk, the whole "strangers on a train," deal could come true like that". Loved Castle's conversation about "no such thing as coincidences". Little by little Beckett just may be coming around to another look at her mother's murder - this time with Castle's help. Again a nice enjoyable & entertaining hour of my time.

Jacks_Son

[10]Sep 30, 2009
    • level: 13

Good episode with a lot of fun moments. Fow awhile there, I thought they were going to use their formula again where Alexis provides some critical clue about the case. That's getting a bit old.

Has anyone else noticed that they backed off the sexual tension between Beckett and Castle from the first season? I know it's still early in the season, but they don't appear to be checking each other out anymore. It's like the writers are keeping it at "they're just friends".

Edited on 09/30/2009 11:55am

EOBB

[11]Sep 30, 2009
    • level: 6
    Jacks_Son wrote:

Good episode with a lot of fun moments. Fow awhile there, I thought they were going to use their formula again where Alexis provides some critical clue about the case. That's getting a bit old.

Has anyone else noticed that they backed off the sexual tension between Beckett and Castle from the first season? I know it's still early in the season, but they don't appear to be checking each other out anymore. It's like the writers are keeping it at "they're just friends".

I completely agree with the Alexis observation, especially after the inspiration she gave him with Beckett last week. When she started talking about Owen again in this episode, I kept wondering when Castle was going to get that **you just gave me the answer i've been looking for** look. I'm glad they didn't go there again. I'm not sure about the 'just friends' thing with Castle and Beckett this season. Last episode, it was hard to tell because she was mad at him and he was just wanting her to talk to him again. But, he did seriously check her out when she was playing the Russian girlfriend. This week's episode was definitely lacking in the sexual tension department. If this was supposed to be aired as the 4th episode of the season, it makes me wonder what happens on the two eps in between that we haven't seen yet. So confusing... It's probably unrelated. They were probably just going for laughs with this episode. I much prefer the ones that crackle with tension.

Dewbak75

[12]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 18
    Jacks_Son wrote:

Don't forget, it was just last week that Beckett allowed him to start working cases with her again, things had been pretty frosty for a while there. It's perfectly reasonable that things would be a bit more low-key between them for a while. And we did get that very nice scene where Becket opened up about the victim's family not having closure, like she didn't have with her mother. It may not have been frought with sexual tension, but it was definitely one of the more intimate moments of the series.

Edited on 10/02/2009 6:11am

penelope1985

[13]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 21
    maybe we're influenced by other urst relationships but we're only 12 episodes into the series. they take things slow. its obvious this is gonna be something they'll drag indefinitely if they can get away with it...

corlando1

[14]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 1
    I noticed the lack of sexual tension in this episode as well. I'm OK with that for a couple of episodes. It makes sense in the context of the story arc. Castle really thought that finding answers to her mother's murder would bring them closer together, instead he almost lost her completely. Being that off the mark would be a confidence killer and take his cocky persona down a peg or two. But they need to build the sexual tension back in because it is just too much fun to watch. I love this show for its characters, relationships, and fun story telling. I hope it goes on for several seasons and I hope that they eventually bring Castle and Beckett together. The sparks should be phenomenal.